The Student Room Group

Confused- last minute Uni decision

Hi there

My son has been given a conditional offer at Uni and an unconditional offer at another choice and has now decided he doesnt want to go to these Uni`s or do the course he has chosen.. I am frantically trying to find the answers to sorting this out. ..as is he. He didnt even put the Uni (he now wants to go to in his original selection) I think he would do the original course just at his last minute decision Uni... what are the chances, in your experience of changing now, this late in the day?... and how if any do we go about this? Thanks
Original post by HeidijJ
Hi there

My son has been given a conditional offer at Uni and an unconditional offer at another choice and has now decided he doesnt want to go to these Uni`s or do the course he has chosen.. I am frantically trying to find the answers to sorting this out. ..as is he. He didnt even put the Uni (he now wants to go to in his original selection) I think he would do the original course just at his last minute decision Uni... what are the chances, in your experience of changing now, this late in the day?... and how if any do we go about this? Thanks

its likely he d have to apply through clearing for his chosen uni (which opens next month) but there's not guarantee there ll be places for his new chosen course/uni i m afraid
Original post by claireestelle
its likely he d have to apply through clearing for his chosen uni (which opens next month) but there's not guarantee there ll be places for his new chosen course/uni i m afraid

wait clearing opens next month? whats the point if no one has their results?
Original post by BioAgent
wait clearing opens next month? whats the point if no one has their results?

july 1st according to ucas's website for people who already have whatever they need to get onto a clearing course i suppose, however more vacancies would get added around the two results days as unis then know how many places they actually have.
Original post by claireestelle

I think it may be possible to apply through extra (if they have places) but he would need to get the unis he is holding offers with to release him. If he has firmly accepted an unconditional offer this might be an uncomfortable conversation...
Is this a spur of the moment decision or has he known he wanted to do this course for a long time but not wanted to tell you (for whatever reason)? If this is a long term thing he might get a place in clearing but may have to submit a new personal statement if the courses are radically different so he might want to start thinking about a new one. If this is a recent decision I recommend at least a year out. He doesn't want to find that he starts a course and it's not the right subject or uni for him. There is no rush to go to uni straight from sixth form.
i agree with the person above me I didn't go until I was 21
Is this about realising he wants to do something else... or cold feet, perhaps exam induced?

Is *what* he now thinks he might want to do offered *where* he might go on the original plan? It is interesting how many courses seem to flag up that you don't have to stick with it and can swap to something else.
Reply 8
Thanks to all for your replies... really helpful and having done more research today we shall have a chat with him about it all. The decision has come out of the blue to be honest.... and his chosen subject has always been his chosen subject.. The new chioce is very similar...and the idea of changing Uni`s?, closer to home.. He has to be honest with himself but its tough. I wouldnt be wanting to make this decision again and be at that age!! He has been advised the year out but I am all geared up for his departure in September.. :smile:
first some clarity - how similar is the new course? Will he be able to use the same personal statement or will he need to rewrite? Has he really changed what he want to do or is it just that he feels he needs an excuse to change university?

Secondly why has he changed his mind? If this is about perceived "prestige" that's not a good reason to switch. If it's because hes nervous about making friends you can provide reassurance. If it's financial concerns and wanting to be able to live at home you need a different sort of reassurance. If it's a girlfriend he wants to be nearer then the relationship is unlikely to survive the first year of uni, although I doubt you'll get him to believe that.When it is a significant relationship distance doesnt matter.

My own child changed their plans drastically and did a gap year. It seems to be working out well for them. A couple of friends have had children drop out and restart a course elsewhere, that's an expensive option and if they are undecided an extra year may be wise - just make sure they have a good plan for what they do in the year.

He can be released by his universities, they don't want drop outs so will probably let him go. Then he can try extra or clearing but he has to do so knowing he may face a gap year.

If you want to name the universities/ courses it may be possible to find out if his new choice had places in clearing last year. No guarantee they would have ths year but it might provide a clue.
Reply 10
Thanks again .. no its not a girlfriend.. he is saving that for Uni and has been playing the field for the last few years!!... Haha!!...He now seems to have gone into lock down and doesnt want to talk about it. which is worrying me even more. We have set some time aside tomorrow night to chat about it all... Hopefully I will sleep Friday night.
Reply 11
He wants to go to Lincoln Uni now.. was going to Bristol or Norwich.. (Conditional/Un conditional places) We used to live in Norfolk. Although some of his good friends are going to Lincoln. The course he is doing is offered at Lincoln... We live near Lincoln . Its definitely not the distance as he is ready to move away.. Im not quite sure what is ruling him most right now??... tough, but we will see it through with him.. Its been really great to have all of your responses and thank you again. Was feeling a tad isolated.. Was a lot different back int he 80s!!!!!
The most important thing is to remember that you can offer advice, you can ask him about his reasoning but that this is ultimately his decision and one only he has to live with. Only he knows what is right for him.
Reply 13
Original post by SmallTownGirl
The most important thing is to remember that you can offer advice, you can ask him about his reasoning but that this is ultimately his decision and one only he has to live with. Only he knows what is right for him.

I agree,,, and that we are working on... we shall see what this weekend brings and hopefully seek clarity.............. whatever he wants to do, we will support, unless of course it going naked on some sacred site!!!!!!
well it doesn't sound like he's just panicking over grades as one offer was unconditional. Looking at this website http://university.which.co.uk/advice/clearing-2013-ucas-applying-whats-it-like suggests Lincoln is one of the easier universities to deal with through clearing and their website listing course vacancies is here https://www.lincoln.ac.uk/home/clearing/

So it looks like he can probably make a switch if it's what we wants and still go this year.
Original post by HeidijJ
He wants to go to Lincoln Uni now.. was going to Bristol or Norwich.. (Conditional/Un conditional places) We used to live in Norfolk. Although some of his good friends are going to Lincoln. The course he is doing is offered at Lincoln... We live near Lincoln . Its definitely not the distance as he is ready to move away.. Im not quite sure what is ruling him most right now??... tough, but we will see it through with him.. Its been really great to have all of your responses and thank you again. Was feeling a tad isolated.. Was a lot different back int he 80s!!!!!

Do you think he's suddenly become worried about making new friends at uni? It's very common to worry about it, even amongst students who have never had any trouble making friends before.

A spot of reassurance might be necessary - these fears are always unfounded, so long as the student gets out there and talks to people

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest