The Student Room Group

Actuarial grad schemes 2016

Scroll to see replies

Is there any point applying with no previous work experience albeit good grades at uni?
Original post by Dirtybit
Is there any point applying with no previous work experience albeit good grades at uni?

Yes I didn't have any prior actuarial internships infact no finance related work at all. Though I did have numerous work experiences and they do make a difference believe it or not.
Original post by bijesh12
Yes I didn't have any prior actuarial internships infact no finance related work at all. Though I did have numerous work experiences and they do make a difference believe it or not.

I don't have numerous work experiences out of finance though?
Original post by Dirtybit
I don't have numerous work experiences out of finance though?

Doesn't matter.. Atleast try. I'm jus saying having previous work experience helps whatever it is. But it's not necessary. Just ensure your application is amazing.
Doesn't matter.. Atleast try. I'm jus saying having previous work experience helps whatever it is. But it's not necessary. Just ensure your application is amazing.

Cheers mate
Has anyone been able to apply for anything yet? Deloitte and EY were supposed to open July 1st but I can't find anything.
Original post by orange crush
Has anyone been able to apply for anything yet? Deloitte and EY were supposed to open July 1st but I can't find anything.

For Deloitte it's under Consulting and apps open on the 1st September instead of the 1st July afaik :smile:
Original post by ohdrama
For Deloitte it's under Consulting and apps open on the 1st September instead of the 1st July afaik :smile:

Ah damn, was hoping to get some applications away really early to get them out the way
Reply 28
Just a quick one about entry requirements. I've just read the booklet for PwC which I picked up at my Uni job fair and it says they consider applications in actuarial from anyone with a First as long as they have min 240 UCAS points - even though someone in HR sent me an email 2 weeks ago saying they wouldn't!).
Also wondering if there are any other computer packages I should try to learn apart from excel? The excel I can pick up at the nearest Pitman, but what do you guys who are already working actually use day to day?
Original post by EdiAnl
Just a quick one about entry requirements. I've just read the booklet for PwC which I picked up at my Uni job fair and it says they consider applications in actuarial from anyone with a First as long as they have min 240 UCAS points - even though someone in HR sent me an email 2 weeks ago saying they wouldn't!).
Also wondering if there are any other computer packages I should try to learn apart from excel? The excel I can pick up at the nearest Pitman, but what do you guys who are already working actually use day to day?

You need a first to apply for PwC? :redface:
Reply 30
Original post by orange crush
You need a first to apply for PwC? :redface:

No. Only if you got less than 320 UCAS points. Kpmg said no way with 300 points and another one called APR said no regardless of getting a 1st. Everyone these days is getting bloody 4 A*'s!!
Original post by EdiAnl
No. Only if you got less than 320 UCAS points. Kpmg said no way with 300 points and another one called APR said no regardless of getting a 1st. Everyone these days is getting bloody 4 A*'s!!

Gotcha, MY school qualifications are ****ed up so they will have a hard time looking at my form. Lol.
Original post by EdiAnl

I only really use excel, word (obviously) and software which is bespoke to the company which obviously you can't learn before.

Excel is the most important one to learn, but you can literally learn it on the job.

Just a general ability to use computers fairly well is good. Any programming language is a benefit, but really not needed.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 33
Original post by TheIrrational
I only really use excel, word (obviously) and software which is bespoke to the company which obviously you can't learn before.

Excel is the most important one to learn, but you can literally learn it on the job.

Just a general ability to use computers fairly well is good. Any programming language is a benefit, but really not needed.

Thanks, good to know 😊
Reply 34
Original post by EdiAnl
Thanks, good to know 😊

Just to say someone at HR said the brochure for Pwc is wrong and if you have less than 320 UCAS points
you still can't apply to Actuarial. This means it's got harder to get into Actuary but easier to get into Tax/accountancy as they made the changes in June. They ought to stop handing it out at job fairs then!!! So I'll look at smaller firms or go for tax
Hey guys. Do you think it is worth doing an Actuarial Science/Mathematics course at uni so you are exempt from all these CT exams? + It saves time and you can get a job quicker, In theory at least? Also with this Degree can you go into other areas of finance?
Reply 36
Original post by Adeel Ali
Hey guys. Do you think it is worth doing an Actuarial Science/Mathematics course at uni so you are exempt from all these CT exams? + It saves time and you can get a job quicker, In theory at least? Also with this Degree can you go into other areas of finance?

I am only speaking from a student point of view and what I have discovered so far through investigations of my own.
From one student to another I can honestly say studying accountancy or actuary is a bit harsh on yourself i.e. bloody boring. I really enjoyed doing pure maths (even did some stats options) but I think you'll be making life more boring for yourself. Also the top firms favour people who have done internships so it might be better to do any other degree that is more interesting to you and apply for an internship in the sandwich year. That way you're not limiting yourself early on. They do like people who have done some of the exams obviously but they also seem a bit snobbish about it because the graduate programmes in the big 4 are designed to take you from any discipline. Life's too short - my feeling is I'm not too happy about being bored ****less but don't mind if I'm getting paid for it. Also it is important that you get a 2:1 MINIMUM and have good UCAS points. I've struggled cos of only getting 300 UCAS points even though I have a first. Also if you do the internships you can say you understand the business etc etc.it looks great on the CV. However a smaller firm would probably take you straight away as they have less time/money to train you!! I am still deciding what to do myself having applied too late and missed most of the deadlines for 2015!!!!
Reply 37
I'm on the BW grad scheme first year .. If y'all got any questions. I work in pensions which is boring 😴

Hi! Just trying to revive discussions again. I've blown it for actuary 2015 missed deadlines (just graduated this month) but some accountancy roles are still free. DILEMMA is I preferred actuary as it sounds a lot more interesting. I refuse to bum around for a year to apply for 2016 so now considering tax accountancy. If you had to rate boredom levels on a scale of 1 to 10 for audit accounting, tax accounting , and actuary how would you rate them?! My other option is to grab a Masters somewhere but I am a bit gutted that all the courses I want that are still free are out of London so I will be away from all my friends and family...PS the career advice is non-existent at my college and nobody in the family has any experience in finance I'm totally on my own here!!!!
Reply 38
The best way to get jobs is through an actuarial recruitment agency, the process is CV -> Interview with line manager -> Outcome. Non of this bull**** dealing with HR, or stupid tests.
Original post by jj193
The best way to get jobs is through an actuarial recruitment agency, the process is CV -> Interview with line manager -> Outcome. Non of this bull**** dealing with HR, or stupid tests.

Tell me more.

Sounds too good to be true.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending