The Student Room Group

Actuarial grad schemes 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Cerdic
Ah cool! Did you have much relevant work experience beforehand?

I worked in a few jobs in finance after graduating - none of which were actuarial related. But if you can show them examples of these core competencies / soft skills that most employers want then you can make a strong case, after all academics is only part of the parcel for these jobs !!
Original post by Cerdic
Nowhere yet. I know EY and Deloitte are open, so I'm probably going to start EY tomorrow. What about you?

I applied to EY and just sent in my application for PwC.

Are you sure Deloitte is open? This page www2.deloitte.com/uk/en/pages/careers/articles/student-opportunities-in-consulting.html says that it opens 1st of Sept, which is yesterday, but I can't find an "Apply Now" link to submit the applications :/
Original post by in-reveries
Are you sure Deloitte is open?

Yes, Deloitte is open. Their website just sucks and is difficult to navigate. :tongue:

Go to "careers. deloitte. gtios. com/ 2015/" (without the spaces and quote marks), click on Register, and select "Consulting - Full Time Grad" as your service line. You'll then be able to select the actuarial scheme in either Leeds or London as your 1st/2nd choices.

The London one seems to be analytics & insurance, while Leeds is pensions & rewards.

For an internship, click on "Summer Vacation Scheme" after clicking on Register.

it opens 1st of Sept

The grad scheme opened 1st Sep. The internship applications opened 1st July. Not sure which you wanted? :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Anything other than the big 4 and Mazars open yet? I'm pretty bored so I'm hoping to fire a few applications tonight
Original post by orange crush
Anything other than the big 4 and Mazars open yet? I'm pretty bored so I'm hoping to fire a few applications tonight

Barnett Waddingham, Punter Southall, LCP, Grant Thornton. :smile:
Original post by ninaporter
Yes, Deloitte is open. Their website just sucks and is difficult to navigate. :tongue:

Go to "careers. deloitte. gtios. com/ 2015/" (without the spaces and quote marks), click on Register, and select "Consulting - Full Time Grad" as your service line. You'll then be able to select the actuarial scheme in either Leeds or London as your 1st/2nd choices.

The London one seems to be analytics & insurance, while Leeds is pensions & rewards.

For an internship, click on "Summer Vacation Scheme" after clicking on Register.

The grad scheme opened 1st Sep. The internship applications opened 1st July. Not sure which you wanted? :smile:

Thanks for the reply! I'm interested in the summer internship :smile: Just checked again and it seems the consulting internships are open, but there are 2 choices - Monitor Deloitte opportunities and consulting. I'm assuming actuarial consulting comes under consulting? :/
Thanks for the reply! I'm interested in the summer internship :smile: Just checked again and it seems the consulting internships are open, but there are 2 choices - Monitor Deloitte opportunities and consulting. I'm assuming actuarial consulting comes under consulting? :/

Yeah, actuarial should be under consulting. It might be phrased as something like Actuarial and Advanced Analytics, or Deloitte Total Benefits and Rewards. Or it might just be called Actuarial, it's a bit weird.
Yeah, actuarial should be under consulting. It might be phrased as something like Actuarial and Advanced Analytics, or Deloitte Total Benefits and Rewards. Or it might just be called Actuarial, it's a bit weird.

Yeah that's what i thought...Just a bit concerned bec there was no option to choose specifically what kind of consulting under normal consulting and I don't want to apply to the wrong business line and end up in management consulting instead of actuarial :tongue:
I've just completed the KPMG numerical test and it was one of the hardest I have ever done. I understand the pass mark is set much lower and they don't expect you to complete it. My question is are you penalised for incorrect awnsers? With 15 secs to go I put in random answers for the ones I couldn't do.
I would say you are penalised for incorrect statements answers as they do state not to worry about finishing everything. I don't know for sure though!

I didn't find the KPMG ones too bad, easier than Deloittes for me (I find SHL graphics difficult to read). Just got an email and I passed them but apparently they have a massive backlog for telephone interviews.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ninegrandstudent
I would say you are penalised for incorrect statements answers as they do state not to worry about finishing everything. I don't know for sure though!

I didn't find the KPMG ones too bad, easier than Deloittes for me (I find SHL graphics difficult to read). Just got an email and I passed them but apparently they have a massive backlog for telephone interviews.

Posted from TSR Mobile

In the end I passed, I also got a email today saying it may take 4 weeks to arrange a interview. I have yet to submit my Deloitte app, looking to do it by the end of the week.
Rejected by deloitte but phone interviews at a few other companies
How to I calculate UCAS points? I've never had to do it before. Do I include just the exams I sat in my last year at school (3x Advanced Higher, 1x Higher) or do I include all the exams I've done?
Reply 113
With regards to the Deloitte career motivation questions, I'm having difficulties to making it sound bland and generic. Is this a really important are and used to rank candidates? Or are your tests/CV the most important factor into getting tests and securing first round interview?
Reply 114
anyone having troubles with the 'education' section of deloitte's application, I hit save and nothing happens
Original post by ayosr
anyone having troubles with the 'education' section of deloitte's application, I hit save and nothing happens

Yeah, mine gave up on me and gave me an error page when I tried to load that section. I emailed them and they sorted it out by the next day. :smile:
Original post by Dumdadum
How to I calculate UCAS points? I've never had to do it before. Do I include just the exams I sat in my last year at school (3x Advanced Higher, 1x Higher) or do I include all the exams I've done?

The last year of exams, I believe, if those were your finals. I'm guessing you use your overall grades for each subject, though I have no clue how the Scottish system works. :tongue:

http://www.universityfinder.org.uk/ucas-points-calculator.html

https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/getting-started/entry-requirements/tariff/tariff-tables/1021
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 117
Hello everybody,

I am a 3rd year undergraduate student studying Mathematics with Statistics. I am planning on doing Masters in Mathematics and Finance and I wonder what are my chances to get a summer internship in Actuarial Sciences in 2016 if I apply now. A lot of companies have a requirement for a student to be in penultimate year, so I have doubts that my chances are already lowered. Also, I can't decide whether pensions or general insurance is the correct way to go - I see little difference in the skills needed to do either job, any tips that might help make the decision?

To give some more information about myself, I have done an internship in Trading this summer and I really enjoyed it, however I think I would rather have a more statistics-focuced job, which is why Actuarial Sciences attracted me. If anyone has questions about my internship or degree - you are welcome to ask.

Thank you in advance for any help.
Original post by Sigmax
I am a 3rd year undergraduate student studying Mathematics with Statistics. I am planning on doing Masters in Mathematics and Finance and I wonder what are my chances to get a summer internship in Actuarial Sciences in 2016 if I apply now.

You should be fine. I'm quite sure companies will make an exception if you are going to do a Master's course after. I'm pretty sure Grant Thornton does. The best thing to do is make a list of the companies you want to intern with, and email them about it.

Original post by Sigmax
Also, I can't decide whether pensions or general insurance is the correct way to go - I see little difference in the skills needed to do either job, any tips that might help make the decision?

Try and find a scheme that covers both? Then you can have a feel of both and make an informed decision. Again Grant Thornton does this (don't mean to sound like I'm advertising them, lol).

I think pensions might offer a bit more variety and client contact although it seems less technical than insurance. Also, I think with insurance, your clients are other actuaries, insurers, etc, people who have some knowledge of what you're doing. With pensions, it'll be more trustees, employers, people who have no clue. They just want to sort out their pension schemes.

The thing with pensions is that a lot of people have less incentive to go into that sector due to the closure of DB schemes. You can read more here.
(edited 8 years ago)
You should be fine. I'm quite sure companies will make an exception if you are going to do a Master's course after. I'm pretty sure Grant Thornton does. The best thing to do is make a list of the companies you want to intern with, and email them about it.

Try and find a scheme that covers both? Then you can have a feel of both and make an informed decision. Again Grant Thornton does this (don't mean to sound like I'm advertising them, lol).

I think pensions might offer a bit more variety and client contact although it seems less technical than insurance. Also, I think with insurance, your clients are other actuaries, insurers, etc, people who have some knowledge of what you're doing. With pensions, it'll be more trustees, employers, people who have no clue. They just want to sort out their pension schemes.

The thing with pensions is that a lot of people have less incentive to go into that sector due to the closure of DB schemes. You can read more here.

Like how you quoted my company - BW (Y)... btw even though DB schemes are closing, there's still going to be work in Pensions - especially investment related. But pensions is quite a dull area of work.

Also Trustees can vary in terms of their knowledge - some and infact a growing number are taking interest in understanding investment strategies, technical topics such as discount rates. So it's not just communicating always to a non technical audience ! But yes the goal remains the same in the view of the trustee which is to fully fund a scheme, sometimes the employer covenant isn't so strong and this can create conflicting views, which makes meetings enjoyable :biggrin: :biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending