The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

If that happens while I'm there, imma drop out :lol:
Original post by L'Evil Fish

You'll only pay it back once you're earning over a certain amount so hardly a massive issue
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NinjaPandaa
You'll only pay it back once you're earning over a certain amount so hardly a massive issue
Posted from TSR Mobile

It probably will be an issue for some though. If you have a lot of expenses (loadsa kids, single parent, other debts), an additional debt is likely to be a lot more significant. Plus, I'm sure graduates that are CEOs of large companies paying their tax could cover the cost of maintaining, or increasing, the grant proportion.
It's annoying that cuts seem to always be to the poor, sick or young :/
Original post by cerlohee
It probably will be an issue for some though. If you have a lot of expenses (loadsa kids, single parent, other debts), an additional debt is likely to be a lot more significant. Plus, I'm sure graduates that are CEOs of large companies paying their tax could cover the cost of maintaining, or increasing, the grant proportion.

Thats why camerons shyte lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Probably not worth that reaction :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

The point is Cameron and his minions are just the painted whores of the rich and the banks, the people be damned.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by MangoFreak
Probably not worth that reaction :tongue:

The point is Cameron and his minions are just the painted whores of the rich and the banks, the people be damned.

Very true.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Posted from TSR Mobile

Will be paying it back for even longer, it's a stupid idea because majority of people don't even finish paying it back so those that actually do end up working in decent jobs are the only ones who pay it back

Also sure the tuition fees rising to 12k probably

My parents didn't even want me taking out the 5k of loans I am now, let alone 20k+ a year

When you type that out you see how ridiculous it is
(edited 8 years ago)
Will be paying it back for even longer, it's a stupid idea because majority of people don't even finish paying it back so those that actually do end up working in decent jobs are the only ones who pay it back

My parents didn't even want me taking out the 5k of loans I am now, let alone 20k+ a year

Welfare capitalism will ultimately fail the people :mmm:
Ugh I spend my days ignoring it doing whatever I'm doing here, it's like a dream at this point, but occasionally I think about A Level results and go cry in a corner.

I do see your point but the only people who will pay it back fully are those that can afford to because of their income. And the argument about having loads of children isn't really valid because having children is a choice and you should consider your financial stability when making that. I don't really understand why people don't think they should have to repay these loans, it's only fair really, higher education is hardly a right so you should have to return some of the loan back to the govt. The only thing about the loan I'm inclined to disagree with is the fact that the interest begins on it as soon as you get it and not once you've finished your degree but other than that I think it's not a bad idea by the govt

Yeah but I don't really get why you shouldn't eventually pay it all back if you have a decent job tbh
Also I'm pretty sure the 12k fees will not effect us because when you accepted your offer it was on the agreement of 9k or in your Welsh case 3k

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah but I don't really get why you shouldn't eventually pay it all back if you have a decent job tbh
Also I'm pretty sure the 12k fees will not effect us because when you accepted your offer it was on the agreement of 9k or in your Welsh case 3k

Posted from TSR Mobile

What does the law/whatever constitutes the "contract" between student and institution actually say? I am interested to know.
What does the law/whatever constitutes the "contract" between student and institution actually say? I am interested to know.

I've no idea but when you accept a place I was under the impression they couldn't change the fees otherwise potentially a lot of people may drop out as it isn't what they've signed up to
The rise from 3k to 9k only affected people going into their first year and below so I was under the assumption it was the same

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've no idea but when you accept a place I was under the impression they couldn't change the fees otherwise potentially a lot of people may drop out as it isn't what they've signed up to
The rise from 3k to 9k only affected people going into their first year and below so I was under the assumption it was the same

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah yeah if there's a precedent I don't imagine it's likely to affect you. Then again, never underestimate the ability of the bourgeois government to **** us if they want to.

Is there a law that explicitly forbids them changing the fee cap, and more importantly, is there a law/condition that explicitly prohibits universities from raising tuition fees for current students (if a university place costs 6000 somewhere today, is the university allowed to raise that to 9000 for current students in the following years)?
Ah yeah if there's a precedent I don't imagine it's likely to affect you. Then again, never underestimate the ability of the bourgeois government to **** us if they want to.

Is there a law that explicitly forbids them changing the fee cap, and more importantly, is there a law/condition that explicitly prohibits universities from raising tuition fees for current students (if a university place costs 6000 somewhere today, is the university allowed to raise that to 9000 for current students in the following years)?

I tried to do a quick Google and couldn't fine any actual information on whether it would affect us, just loads of sad Nick Clegg articles :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ok, so now my relatives in China are also begging me to take a gap year and reapply to Cambridge, man they're desperate for dat honour :rofl:

Is that because there isn't really anything to be cut going to the rich, well and middle-aged?
I do see your point but the only people who will pay it back fully are those that can afford to because of their income. And the argument about having loads of children isn't really valid because having children is a choice and you should consider your financial stability when making that. I don't really understand why people don't think they should have to repay these loans, it's only fair really, higher education is hardly a right so you should have to return some of the loan back to the govt. The only thing about the loan I'm inclined to disagree with is the fact that the interest begins on it as soon as you get it and not once you've finished your degree but other than that I think it's not a bad idea by the govt

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think higher education should be paid for if your degree is in demand and the skills provided are lacking in our economy.

I'm not saying we shouldn't repay loans, just that there shouldn't even be a need to take out loans, and that excessive loans are even worse.

3k Welsh fees, it's actually closer to 4k.

But we're not protected from rises, only the year we are going into.

Even if I'm not affected, people in the future will be, how is that fair on them? The way we're going now, we've just got a bunch of people in low skilled jobs, who won't ever pay it back

The only way you're going to get into the high skilled areas is by getting a good education, there's a huge lack of people in these areas. And that's going to get even worse if you're further restricting the number of people who are going to go to university.

If you'd said to me, okay all loans, no grants, I'd say **** that.

That'll virtually rattle up to over 80k PLUS INTEREST which is a huge amount especially as it'll take a while to pay back

Which means no further education for me, and one less person (who could do it) in a higher skilled job

All because of what? Oh because my parents aren't rich...

Edit : if it was interest free I wouldn't mind as much
(edited 8 years ago)

This is exactly why capitalism is not your friend. At best, it goes well and people in developed nations (note: the third world will still be ****ed by global capitalism) get some concessions from the rulers (welfare, education, etc.) since they have the capital to spare. At worst, it all goes to ****, but of course the capitalists aren't the ones who suffer, since they're the ones with the power and the wealth. It's the people who suffer, under the guise of "austerity". They say "we're all in it together", which is bull****.
I think higher education should be paid for if your degree is in demand and the skills provided are lacking in our economy.

I'm not saying we shouldn't repay loans, just that there shouldn't even be a need to take out loans, and that excessive loans are even worse.

3k Welsh fees, it's actually closer to 4k.

But we're not protected from rises, only the year we are going into.

Even if I'm not affected, people in the future will be, how is that fair on them? The way we're going now, we've just got a bunch of people in low skilled jobs, who won't ever pay it back

The only way you're going to get into the high skilled areas is by getting a good education, there's a huge lack of people in these areas. And that's going to get even worse if you're further restricting the number of people who are going to go to university.

If you'd said to me, okay all loans, no grants, I'd say **** that.

That'll virtually rattle up to over 80k PLUS INTEREST which is a huge amount especially as it'll take a while to pay back

Which means no further education for me, and one less person (who could do it) in a higher skilled job

All because of what? Oh because my parents aren't rich...

Edit : if it was interest free I wouldn't mind as much

So like I feel like I keep repeating myself about capitalism here even while you continue to point out how it doesn't work if you have any moral sensibilities :tongue: I feel bad for harking on from the Marxist perspective :lol:

Latest