The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MangoFreak
wat

*good differentiator
Original post by Red Fox
I got one as the zwitterion of glutamic acid (m/z=129) and the other one was just two zwitterions bonded together (m/z=258).

Oh that, I drew two cyclic structures for that, they had the correct masses I believe (so one was glutamic acid bonded to itself, the other a dipeptide bonded to itself). Hope that wasn't bull****.

129 was the mass of glutamic acid minus H20 so I figured it had to have a peptide in there (258 was the dipeptide minus water).

Unless I'm wrong the zwitterion should have the same mass as the molecular amino acid.
Original post by L'Evil Fish
*good differentiator

Figured :tongue:

The paper being difficult doesn't make it any better at differentiating, since we just get letter grades anyway.
Oh that, I drew two cyclic structures for that, they had the correct masses I believe (so one was glutamic acid bonded to itself, the other a dipeptide bonded to itself). Hope that wasn't bull****.

129 was the mass of glutamic acid minus H20 so I figured it had to have a peptide in there (258 was the dipeptide minus water).

Unless I'm wrong the zwitterion should have the same mass as the molecular amino acid.

Oh **** lel you're right, got confused about what the zwitterion is. That's 2 marks lost. I just took water out and left the ends and HN+ and CO- and didn't bother joining them up. Then i did the dipeptide but didn't join the ends up again.
Original post by Red Fox
Oh **** lel you're right, got confused about what the zwitterion is. That's 2 marks lost. I just took water out and left the ends and HN+ and CO- and didn't bother joining them up. Then i did the dipeptide but didn't join the ends up again.

Awh :tongue: No matter, sure you did fine on the rest, right? :biggrin:
Awh :tongue: No matter, sure you did fine on the rest, right? :biggrin:

Yeah hopefully. Boundaries should be really low anyway, I reckon it will be less than 50 marks for full ums.
Reply 66
I hope the Physics exam tomorrow isn't as bad as today's chemistry sounded! :s
No offense to OCR people, but 2-4 DNPH is quite easy to do? We covered it in AS Chemistry with CIE, as well as the reactions and products. Perhaps you've never seen it in a past paper before but as long as you know the structure of the compound it really comes down to common sense (within your knowledge of chemistry)
Also, people making petitions are ridiculous. Grade thresholds are adjusted so that a certain % of people get a certain grade, even if that means that some years it might be 85% raw marks for an A, and others 60% raw marks for an A.
Original post by The Clockwork Apple
No offense to OCR people, but 2-4 DNPH is quite easy to do? We covered it in AS Chemistry with CIE, as well as the reactions and products. Perhaps you've never seen it in a past paper before but as long as you know the structure of the compound it really comes down to common sense (within your knowledge of chemistry)

The question had a 2,4-DNP product but the question was actually NMR. I didn't even read it properly because of time constraints so I had no idea it was about 2,4-DNP until after the exam. It was purely a H NMR question.
As much as I love hard papers, they're ****ing annoying with people :lol:

Gonna just come back later and see if anyone's tried to piece together a mark scheme or something
Original post by Red Fox
The question had a 2,4-DNP product but the question was actually NMR. I didn't even read it properly because of time constraints so I had no idea it was about 2,4-DNP until after the exam. It was purely a H NMR question.

That makes the petition even more ridiculous, given you are actually able to deduce the structure of the compound. Basically people have found an excuse for not being able to answer an NMR question, which usually are quite tricky (or at least with CIE they can drive you crazy).
Original post by L'Evil Fish
What's this new @ thing? Didn't know about this :lol:

It's like Twitter meets TSR.
Is the 'Clearing' ad bothering anyone else? It seems to deliver a subliminal message, like I'll be needing it in August. Doesn't help calm my nerves :P

I seem to get it every time I go on here!

I think it was the fact that it literally said as an "examiner's tip" in the textbook that it wouldn't come up. Also I know that for edexcel at least, we aren't taught what the hydrazine group is, so I wouldn't be able to draw it...
motivating myself to revise for my last two exams is so hard..
Original post by cerlohee
I think it was the fact that it literally said as an "examiner's tip" in the textbook that it wouldn't come up. Also I know that for edexcel at least, we aren't taught what the hydrazine group is, so I wouldn't be able to draw it...

And it didn't come up. The examiner's tip said we wouldn't be asked to draw the structure of a DNPH product, and while technically we were, the point was to deduce the structure of the ketone it had reacted with to form the product. We were given the structure of DNPH in the question.
got a call from Pointless today :-D watch dis space

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest