Why are you learning to speak Arabic?

انا اريد اتعلم العربية بسبب... سأذهب إلى 'ابو دبي'

'Next week'

And I've always wanted to learn anyway, it's just now I had a reason to try
Original post by L'Evil Fish

'Next week'

When Duolingo gets Arabic (if it ever does), I will be on that **** and you can teach me your basics.
Original post by MangoFreak
When Duolingo gets Arabic (if it ever does), I will be on that **** and you can teach me your basics.

They haven't gone into English - - > language with different alphabets, yet

Although in time I think they will, I like them a lot though considering it's free and all

Arabic, I think the hard part is vocab tbh. That's what's going to hold me back lots

It's good fun though

Bear in mind it was a lot easier for me to learn because I could already read Arabic with the harakat(vowels) , and knew the alphabet
They haven't gone into English - - > language with different alphabets, yet

Although in time I think they will, I like them a lot though considering it's free and all

Arabic, I think the hard part is vocab tbh. That's what's going to hold me back lots

It's good fun though

Bear in mind it was a lot easier for me to learn because I could already read Arabic with the harakat(vowels) , and knew the alphabet

Russian is coming out in 10 days and I am HYPED :ahee:

Obviously Arabic will be a bit more of a challenge than Cyrillic, but shouldn't be too much of an issue necessarily (I learnt Choson'gul for a while before I realised I had no time for Korean, and I was on my way to learning Hirargana - the Japanese alphabet). I actually started to learnt the alphabet once, but got bored without suitable online learning materials for the language.

'Next week'

Correct.I think you are ready!The people there would be proud of you!I am just spending my summer vacations in Qatar

Are you getting your papers remarked?
Russian is coming out in 10 days and I am HYPED :ahee:

Obviously Arabic will be a bit more of a challenge than Cyrillic, but shouldn't be too much of an issue necessarily (I learnt Choson'gul for a while before I realised I had no time for Korean, and I was on my way to learning Hirargana - the Japanese alphabet). I actually started to learnt the alphabet once, but got bored without suitable online learning materials for the language.

No ****ing way?! Omg... Yes !!!! I'm gonna be learning some Russian then

Wait 10 days?! I'll be in Abu Dhabi then :frown: wanted to be on it asap

Will be fun for when I'm back though, you've made me happy wooo

I wonder if they'll teach the alphabet or not, I think I already know it

Hiragana I was learning it all, then thought nah.

I feel you with the online resource thing, it gets annoying. Swahili didn't work because no good online dictionaries :colonhash:

Original post by Skill Twix
Correct.I think you are ready!The people there would be proud of you!I am just spending my summer vacations in Qatar

How do you say

'Next week'?

Thanks, oh that's awesome. Must really help to build it up. My issue will be vocab and my family expecting me to be able speak fluently just after a few weeks, and even then it was on and off

I feel you with the online resource thing, it gets annoying. Swahili didn't work because no good online dictionaries :colonhash:

Technically it's the estimated time of release (August 17), but I've been waiting for it to be done for a good year so even if it's a few days off I'm excited.

I don't know how they'll teach the alphabet, since it's the first non-Latin language on the site (I think), but I know it will be taught.

I can wait 10 days if you want :tongue: Maybe. I'm itching for it now so I might find it hard to resist :lol:

The problem with Japanese of course is that I so can not be ****ed to learn Hanji, and they're used an awful lot more than Hiragana I believe.
Are you getting your papers remarked?

Can't until school starts again on the 18th - they are the ones responsible for putting in the request.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Started German with duolingo although I think I need to learn all the pronouns first. It will make learning a lot easier.
If I make my Imperial offer I'm still unsure what language to take with Horizons. German or Chinese? I feel like Chinese is too hard and it requires too much time, implying I'll probably find myself in a situation where I'll have to drop it
Original post by The Clockwork Apple
Started German with duolingo although I think I need to learn all the pronouns first. It will make learning a lot easier.
If I make my Imperial offer I'm still unsure what language to take with Horizons. German or Chinese? I feel like Chinese is too hard and it requires too much time, implying I'll probably find myself in a situation where I'll have to drop it

I vote for German :smile:

Deutsch über alles!
Technically it's the estimated time of release (August 17), but I've been waiting for it to be done for a good year so even if it's a few days off I'm excited.

I don't know how they'll teach the alphabet, since it's the first non-Latin language on the site (I think), but I know it will be taught.

I can wait 10 days if you want :tongue: Maybe. I'm itching for it now so I might find it hard to resist :lol:

The problem with Japanese of course is that I so can not be ****ed to learn Hanji, and they're used an awful lot more than Hiragana I believe.

It is very exciting. I like the little progress bars they have showing different languages, and when they might arise.

Yeah it is the first different alphabet, will be interesting to see how they do that.

It's fine, you can tell me what it's like, and I'll start late August

Yeah, it's basically Chinese anyway imo, lol all the characters. Which is why I switched to Mandarin and said I'd come back to Japanese
Just checked, they have Ukrainian in beta, doing it now, to check

3rd edit: so it seems the way they do it, is introduce words with each letter so you know what it sounds like

First is letters we know, like m, t, a, k which have some sound, then introduces new letters like the 'd' which we have in English but not shown same way

Then I presume later it'll be completely new sounds

So they do it through words!

Let's see how many German pronouns I know..

Ich
Du
Er
Sie
Es
Wir
Ihr
Damn can't remember lol

Mandarin isn't too bad tbh, especially just learning to speak and and read, the writing is what makes it hard
(edited 8 years ago)
It is very exciting. I like the little progress bars they have showing different languages, and when they might arise.

Yeah it is the first different alphabet, will be interesting to see how they do that.

It's fine, you can tell me what it's like, and I'll start late August

Yeah, it's basically Chinese anyway imo, lol all the characters. Which is why I switched to Mandarin and said I'd come back to Japanese
Just checked, they have Ukrainian in beta, doing it now, to check

3rd edit: so it seems the way they do it, is introduce words with each letter so you know what it sounds like

First is letters we know, like m, t, a, k which have some sound, then introduces new letters like the 'd' which we have in English but not shown same way

Then I presume later it'll be completely new sounds

So they do it through words!

Let's see how many German pronouns I know..

Ich
Du
Er
Sie
Es
Wir
Ihr
Damn can't remember lol

Mandarin isn't too bad tbh, especially just learning to speak and and read, the writing is what makes it hard

Oh **** yeah I totally forget Ukranian is Cyrillic :lol: I'm a dumb.

Are we listing German pronouns? :awesome:

ich mich mir
du dich dir
er sie es ihn ihm ihr
wir uns
Sie Ihnen
ihr euch
Man

That's all of them unless you count possessive pronouns (and genitive pronouns which I cannot be ****ed to bother with :tongue:).
(edited 8 years ago)
Oh **** yeah I totally forget Ukranian is Cyrillic :lol: I'm a dumb.

Are we listing German pronouns? :awesome:

ich mich mir
du dich dir
er sie es ihn ihm ihr
wir uns
Sie Ihnen
(Ihr)
ihr euch
Man

That's all of them unless you count possessive pronouns (and genitive pronouns which I cannot be ****ed to bother with :tongue:).

What's Man? Sweet, now I know the pronouns.

Possessive ones you'd have to do all the cases right?
Original post by Princepieman
Can't until school starts again on the 18th - they are the ones responsible for putting in the request.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good luck with everything then!

How do you say

'Next week'?

Thanks, oh that's awesome. Must really help to build it up. My issue will be vocab and my family expecting me to be able speak fluently just after a few weeks, and even then it was on and off

Next week translates to al usbooh al qadim!
What's Man? Sweet, now I know the pronouns.

Possessive ones you'd have to do all the cases right?

Ach, ja, ich habe keine Zeit dafür.

Man is like "one". In German it's actually common and doesn't sound overly formal though.

Where we would say something like "You shouldn't do that" (referring to people in general), ein Deutscher would say "Man sollt das nicht tun".
Good luck with everything then!

Next week translates to al usbooh al qadim!

Which one means next and which one means week? :lol:

BRB jummah
Ach, ja, ich habe keine Zeit dafür.

Man is like "one". In German it's actually common and doesn't sound overly formal though.

Where we would say something like "You shouldn't do that" (referring to people in general), ein Deutscher would say "Man sollt das nicht tun".

So the general impersonal pronoun kinda thing, like on in French

Großbuchstaben mit Substantive, bitte! :lol:

Latest