The Student Room Group

Quetiapine / Seroquel

I'm taking 600mg Quetiapine and 150mg Trazodone for my bipolar which has contributed to my ballooning weight (currently at 137kg! ) I've been on the meds for 6 years and mentally I've reached relative stability. I am now trying to shift the weight and am considering embarking on the Cambridge Weight Plan. I need to lose roughly half my body weight. Has anyone out there had success with the diet whilst taking Quetiapine? Is either that or a gastric bypass so I'd obviously prefer the diet if it is feasible. My consultant is trying to find out of the diet is safe with my meds but it would be nice to know if anyone in my situation has been successful before I invest the money into the diet.
Thanks in advance for your replies!
- Moved this to a thread of its own rather than bumping an old one -

Original post by Mumzees
I'm taking 600mg Quetiapine and 150mg Trazodone for my bipolar which has contributed to my ballooning weight (currently at 137kg! ) I've been on the meds for 6 years and mentally I've reached relative stability. I am now trying to shift the weight and am considering embarking on the Cambridge Weight Plan. I need to lose roughly half my body weight. Has anyone out there had success with the diet whilst taking Quetiapine? Is either that or a gastric bypass so I'd obviously prefer the diet if it is feasible. My consultant is trying to find out of the diet is safe with my meds but it would be nice to know if anyone in my situation has been successful before I invest the money into the diet.
Thanks in advance for your replies!

Are you still gaining weight or has it leveled off?

I don't know anything about the Cambridge weight plan I'm afraid but have you heard of metformin? There are a number of studies which show that it can help people on antipsychotics to avoid gaining weight and some people even find that it helps them lose weight. Try googling "antipsychotics and metformin" and have a look. Your psychiatrist might not be aware of this research so I'd recommend reading it yourself and mentioning it to him/her.

I've been taking metformin for a couple of years and am almost back to my pre-antipsychotic weight. If I was more dedicated at the gym and ate more healthily I'd probably have lost more weight but I guess I'm lazy. :tongue: Actually I started seroquel (again) last week so this is going to be the real test of if metformin will help avoid weight gain. :crossedf:

Quick Reply

Latest