The Student Room Group

D&D Religion's "Ask About Judaism" Thread

Scroll to see replies

Question:

Why didn't the Jews think Jesus was the Messiah ?
Reply 21
That's one for Gemma's FAQ, right enough. But until she gets round to doing it, I'd guess they just don't see him/Him as fulfilling the prophecies?
Invocation
Question:

Why didn't the Jews think Jesus was the Messiah ?

It was that question that i asked which led to the whole Ask a Jew saga :biggrin:
Reply 23
ForeverIsMyName
IDF gals are slammin... and yeah, ask an atheist would be a good thread to sticky.

Hehehe!
Reply 24
Oh, deary me. Can we consider that question answered and move on, please? Reluctantly... :p:
Im not a Jew but this is what i believe is referred to about the Messiah

The moshiach will be a great political leader descended from King David (Jeremiah 23:5). The moshiach is often referred to as "moshiach ben David" (moshiach, son of David). He will be well-versed in Jewish law, and observant of its commandments. (Isaiah 11:2-5) He will be a charismatic leader, inspiring others to follow his example. He will be a great military leader, who will win battles for Israel. He will be a great judge, who makes righteous decisions (Jeremiah 33:15). But above all, he will be a human being, not a god, demi-god or other supernatural being.

It has been said that in every generation, a person is born with the potential to be the moshiach. If the time is right for the messianic age within that person's lifetime, then that person will be the moshiach. But if that person dies before he completes the mission of the moshiach, then that person is not the moshiach.

What i now want to ask - is why the Jews think that Christians accepted Jesus as the Messiah if it was obvious that those passages in the Torah werent referring to Jesus?

Regards, Asad
Also another question previously mentioned here. Why would God need to rest? It seems ridiculous to suggest the Supreme Creator would need to rest? Sorry if im showing ignorance, but isnt that what the sabbath is about?
Reply 27
asadtamimi
Also another question previously mentioned here. Why would God need to rest? It seems ridiculous to suggest the Supreme Creator would need to rest? Sorry if im showing ignorance, but isnt that what the sabbath is about?

He doesn't literally "rest". It's not like he sat on a cloud and had a cup of tea.

---

I've got a question:

Are the 613 Commandments viewed as moral (rather than legislative) commandments and as such considered still true (as in it is still true that we ought to do X, Y, Z). If not, why not?
Wow I have my work cut out here.

Sacha Cohen is a silly billy but I personally think he's very funny in Borat. There are three problems in Kazakstan; social, economic and Jew. :rofl:

G-d didn't get tired. G-d didn't rest. G-d simply abstained from creating on the seventh day. G-d is G-d, how can he get tired? Similarly, Jews observe Shabbat on the seventh day and imitate G-d by not creating; it's nothing to do with resting. Common misconception.

Jews don't believe Jesus is the Messiah because we believe the Messiah is going to be descended from King David. Nowhere in Jewish scriptures is Jesus mentioned.. it's like asking why isn't Joe Bloggs the Messiah, ya? Truth is, we don't know who is the Messiah but as someone already said there are a few potentials in each generation and when the time is right, then he/she will come.

Jews are hot.

Apple juice.

phawkins1988
Are the 613 Commandments viewed as moral (rather than legislative) commandments and as such considered still true (as in it is still true that we ought to do X, Y, Z). If not, why not?

I'm not quite sure what you're asking here... Want to just clarify in case I answer the wrong question?
Thanks gems :smile:
No probs. :smile:
What is the etiquette with writin G-d instead of God? What difference does it make? I have seen Jewish faith sites doing that too.:confused:
Justintabib
What is the etiquette with writin G-d instead of God? What difference does it make? I have seen Jewish faith sites doing that too.:confused:

We are told not to write G-d's name in vain and by using the dash instead of the "o" it means if the name gets destroyed by accident/on purpose then it won't be violating that commandment. It doesn't necessarily apply online because you can't really destroy it but it seems tradition to do so anyway. It mainly applies to on paper.
Why do you feel the need to imitate God? Did He tell you to?
Phonicsdude
Why do you feel the need to imitate God? Did He tell you to?

We are told to observe Shabbat.

EDIT: By observing Shabbat, we are showing that we recognise G-d created the world in six days.
What took Him so long ?
Invocation
What took Him so long ?

Six days isn't long to create all that, is it? Or are you asking why He didn't create it all instantly?
2nd part.
Reply 38
Well done Gemz. You appear to be doing a fantastic job in here - managing v.well all by yourself. Good girl. Keep it up. I'm awaiting all your replies with anticipation. :smile:
Yeh. 6 days is a long time for someone who has infinite power. Anything more than an instant can only be accounted for by muchos procrastinating on TSR. Tut tut.
It can happen to the best of us. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending