The Student Room Group

D&D Religion's "Ask About Judaism" Thread

Scroll to see replies

From the Israeli Wikipedia:

Rabbi Moshe Ben Maimon (aka Rambam or Maimonides) is the only Jewish adjudicator who related to it:

"And if a king from the house of David (king David) will rise and he will study Torah and will follow the Torah commandments as David his father (ancestor), both of the Torah and the Orally Torah and will force all the nation of Israel to follow the Torah, and will fight the wars of God - then he is as a Messiah. If he will do that and if he will succeed and if he will win all the nations around Israel and if he will built the temple in it's place and if he will gather all the rest of the Jews to Israel then he is the Messiah for sure." (Halachos kings and their wars, chapter 11, Halacha 8)

In the words of the Rambam there are signs to identify someone who is as a Messiah and someone who is a Messiah for sure. A man who is as a Messiah is a man who these things are valid regarding him:

1. He is from the sperm of the house of David (king David)

2. Follow the commandments of the Torah and the Orally Torah and force the nation of Israel to follow them.

3. Is fighting the wars of God.

The one who do these 3 things above and also the 3 things below is a Messiah for sure:

1. Will win the nations around Israel

2. Will built the temple

3. Will gather all the rest of the Jews to Israel.

End of the translation from Israeli Wikipedia.
Are you saying this is how Rambam explained the advent of the Messiah?

What is this Halacha?
Justintabib
Are you saying this is how Rambam explained the advent of the Messiah?

What is this Halacha?

Think so yes. Rambam is a major Jewish commentator.

Halacha is the Hebrew term for "law."
Hold on. i thought jewish law is referred to as Halakhah which is similar to Islamic law called Shariah.
Reply 64
It's just a different spelling. Halakhah, Halacha etc.
Reply 65
Halacha is merely "Halakhah" transliterated better

english people cant say "ch" for the most part so its done softly.
Reply 66
Damn you helen.
Yeh it's not actually pronounced like the "ch" in "chair." But it's like Ha-la-ha. But the "ha" should be throaty! Like HalaHHHHHHHHa.
Reply 68
Oh yeah first let me ask, what do Jews believe about Moses (pbuh)? Do you believe he is a prophet and servant of God or something else?

I think the "ch" you're talking about is the same as the h in arabic... in Rahman... or Muhammad. Ya it is throaty.... it's like the sound some people make when they touch something very hot... they go "ah" :p:

Oh yeah that responds to nathan when he said it's not muhammad it's machmad.
hahahahahaha :s-smilie:
i guess its like french pronunciation of y!

but Jewish law is easier :p:

So how are the laws derived? directly from Torah? or some Jewish scholar issuing it based on Torah?

brother morsey, I think www.jewfaq.org is a very good website answering basic questions and principles of Judaism.
o0MorseyMan0o
Oh yeah first let me ask, what do Jews believe about Moses (pbuh)? Do you believe he is a prophet and servant of God or something else?

I think the "ch" you're talking about is the same as the h in arabic... in Rahman... or Muhammad. Ya it is throaty.... it's like the sound some people make when they touch something very hot... they go "ah" :p:

Oh yeah that responds to nathan when he said it's not muhammad it's machmad.

A leader, a prophet... yet not just a normal prophet. Moses was said to have a fully clear vision regarding prophecies from G-d whereas other prophets such as Daniel for example would have a more blurred vision.

And yeah a bit like the H in Muhammed.

justintabib
hahahahahaha :s-smilie:
i guess its like french pronunciation of y!

but Jewish law is easier :tongue:

So how are the laws derived? directly from Torah? or some Jewish scholar issuing it based on Torah?

brother morsey, I think www.jewfaq.org is a very good website answering basic questions and principles of Judaism.

They're derived directly from the Torah (written law) and the Talmud (oral law). The Talmud discusses the laws and lists possible scenarios and then different Jewish scholars or commentators kind of finalise the law. Some laws are a bit ambiguous you see... and it's hard to apply them to all situations. And yeah jewfaq rox.
The Jewish law conatain couple of things: the Torah commandments, the Orally Torah and it's discussion in the Talmud and in the Gemara. You can't read and understand the Torah without the Orally Torah which is passed from Moses to the great Rabbis of today. In the intro of Shulchan Aruch you can find all the rabbis that the Orally Torah was passed to them from Moses who receivced it from God.

Although God spoke the Torah to all the nation but Moses taught it to the olders and to the wise and to the judges and they are the scholar ones. For example, the saying: "Eye for an eye and tooth for a tooth isn't about revenge but about money compensation between a Jew to another Jew. You can't understand it from reading in the Torah, you must have the Orally Torah to understand it. Another example is the receptions of Abraham to the envoys and the reception of Laban to Jacob. Abraham and his wife made them food and Laban kissed Jacob but the Orally Torah is telling us that Laban kissed Jacob because he wanted to search for jewels in his mouth.
Reply 72
So how come all that stuff - extra details that, from what you're saying, can often put a whole new twist on Torachic lore - isn't in the written version?
Reply 73
Agent Smith
So how come all that stuff - extra details that, from what you're saying, can often put a whole new twist on Torachic lore - isn't in the written version?

At Mount Sinai the Jews were given the Torah in its entirety. This consists of both the Written Torah (the OT) and the Oral Torah (now written down as the Mishnah). The Gemara is the explanation/D&D on the Mishnah.

Now, we were always meant to study both the Oral and Written Torah together - coz, as Jacobface above said - using the Written Torah alone wouldn't make much sense. e.g. 'an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth'.
Helzerel
At Mount Sinai the Jews were given the Torah in its entirety. This consists of both the Written Torah (the OT) and the Oral Torah (now written down as the Mishnah). The Gemara is the explanation/D&D on the Mishnah.

Now, we were always meant to study both the Oral and Written Torah together - coz, as Jacobface above said - using the Written Torah alone wouldn't make much sense. e.g. 'an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth'.

:rofl:
Ok. Could you please explain once more what is the difference between Jews and Jewish people? (In a simple manner for non-Jews to understand :smile:)

If there is no difference, why bother using two terms?
From what I understand, Jews are people all over the world who follow Judaism but they may come from a Mexican tribe or any other tribe/race? And I am pretty sure I am wrong :biggrin:
Justintabib
Ok. Could you please explain once more what is the difference between Jews and Jewish people? (In a simple manner for non-Jews to understand :smile:)

If there is no difference, why bother using two terms?
From what I understand, Jews are people all over the world who follow Judaism but they may come from a Mexican tribe or any other tribe/race? And I am pretty sure I am wrong :biggrin:

They're synonyms. It's like saying "English" and "English people."
and children of Israel?

what if a child from Israel converts into Christianity? Is he by any means a Jew or Jewish people?
Reply 78
He's still considered jewish, but a heretic. (assuming he was a jewish child from israel :p:)
Justintabib
and children of Israel?

what if a child from Israel converts into Christianity? Is he by any means a Jew or Jewish people?

Another synonym.

Yes because he's still biologically Jewish.

Quick Reply

Latest