The Student Room Group

Missed Out on 2015 Lambing

I understand that for some of the VetMed courses lambing work experience is mandatory/highly preferable to have before applying. However, I missed the lambing season this year and will be applying this September/October (I can't remember when the deadline is). I know a few of the vet schools accept a week of planned work experience that you will do after applying (Bristol) but I'm worrying that not having lambing will put me at a disadvantage for those who don't accept anything that is planned (RVC).

Work experience that I currently have done:

2 weeks small animal practice
1 week mixed large and small animal practice
3+ months weekly voluntary work at a small animal practice (will be 6+ months on applying)
1 week zoo (2013 so will not technically count)

Work experience that I have confirmed for the summer:

2 weeks on dairy farm
1 week on free range chicken farm (may include shadowing vet at some point)
1 week on indoor pig farm (may include shadowing vet during vaccination programme)

Work experience I am in the process of confirming for summer:

2 weeks in an RSPCA animal shelter

During the 2016 lambing season I will be able to get lambing work experience however not in time for 2016 entry application deadline.

Any advice or guidance on how to deal with not having lambing for 2016 entry would be appreciated! :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it. Lambing doesn't fit into the GCSE/A-level timetable brilliantly what with it being so seasonal as a you're generally limited to relatively short holidays to do it in, which tend to be right before exam season anyway.
You have other farm stuff so don't worry about lambing. Not all the students in my year (Liverpool) has lambing experience. However, you are lacking equine work experience e.g. stables/yard/stud (if experienced) - try to get some before applying (e.g. 1 week, you could do this at w/ends).
Reply 3
Sorry for super late replies!

Thanks for the help guys, I've contacted my local stable where I used to ride and they said they would let me do some experience with them :smile:

Also, I just went to the Liverpool open day and found out that I can apply with my zoo work experience as it's not too old to count for their 2016 entry :biggrin:
Original post by Platinum98

Also, I just went to the Liverpool open day and found out that I can apply with my zoo work experience as it's not too old to count for their 2016 entry :biggrin:

I'm a bit outdated on the Liverpool requirements. How far back can you could work exp?
Reply 5
Original post by SilverstarDJ
I'm a bit outdated on the Liverpool requirements. How far back can you could work exp?

3 years prior to the entry deadline I think.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending