The Student Room Group

How much do you earn?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
[QUOTE=Async;56903193https://gist.github.com/Async1/5093a8daaff6e7ccf53e

Much better in principle - you have separated your logic for working with decks from the implementation details of where they are retrieved from; the class that deals with processing your deck is ignorant of the details of how your deck is stored - that's a good thing for a number of reasons:

When your app gets popular, you can change your deck storage mechanism from that local JSON file to a distributed document database and all you need to change in your app is your implementation of [pre]DeckLoader[/pre]. Because the deck loader is a constructor parameter to the deck provider, the deck provider doesn't even have to know anything about how to instantiate a [pre]DeckLoader[/pre].

You can unit test the logic of your deck provider without your tests relying on having a working database connection by mocking or stubbing out the [pre]DeckLoader[/pre] implementation.

You no longer have your decks loaded as static methods, meaning that if you decide to roll this out as a web app and each user has their own set of decks, you can give them each an instance of your deck provider instantiated with their user IDs concurrently and safely (static members are shared across threads, no good when each concurrent user needs a different instance).

The separation of different concerns (storage and business logic) is well-defined and strictly enforced so your code will remain maintainable.

Reply 21
Original post by Planto
X

Thank you so much! I really appreciate your response and correction and I really do see the benefit of separating the business logic from the data access layers. See I've not really had a proper teacher, I'm self taught so I don't really have anybody to ask these more complex questions.

Anyway, I think I've understood the principal now, I now just have to understand when to use it and when not to.
(edited 8 years ago)
As a first job I would more or less ignore salary and just focus on experience. My placement job was basically subsistence pay (food + shelter) and covered little else - but I learned a ton. 16£k is basic, but outside London you can be comfortable with that. If you live with parents, then you'll actually save quite a lot. Even after graduating I would still not focus too much on salary.
Reply 23
It varies a lot from place to place. Some companies pay pittance, others are competitive. What it comes down to is what skills you have and what industry you want to work in. When I was a graduate looking for jobs, the disparity in pay of the jobs I was offered was £18k (lowest) and £28k (highest). Most graduate jobs seemed to be about £24k.

Get good industry experience and get those company names on your CV. You can get well over £45k if you're willing to move jobs every few years to seek out new opportunities. At my present company, senior software engineers are on upwards of £60k p/a plus bonuses.
Reply 24
Original post by nоt elohssa
As a first job I would more or less ignore salary and just focus on experience. My placement job was basically subsistence pay (food + shelter) and covered little else - but I learned a ton. 16£k is basic, but outside London you can be comfortable with that. If you live with parents, then you'll actually save quite a lot. Even after graduating I would still not focus too much on salary.

I see, sounds reasonable too, once I get the experience then I can focus on salary. But yeah, I'd be living with my parents so is all good.
Original post by Async
I see, sounds reasonable too, once I get the experience then I can focus on salary. But yeah, I'd be living with my parents so is all good.

A years rent (decent standard) in London is about 8.5k. So at 16k + living with parents you will be saving more then someone who lives in London and earns 10k more then you (taxes etc. taken into account).
Reply 26
Original post by nоt elohssa
A years rent (decent standard) in London is about 8.5k. So at 16k + living with parents you will be saving more then someone who lives in London and earns 10k more then you (taxes etc. taken into account).

Knowing my parents, they will definitely want me to contribute to rent and various house expenses, but I assume that won't be a huge problem. It seems like I might just go through this apprenticeship sponsored degree program instead of just going uni, from all the people I've talked to, majority said go for it. Thanks ya'll

What do you think?

-PS (I much prefer this sub forum of TSR, where everybody is not fixated on getting to Russel groups unis, where apprenticeships & btecs are looked down upon).
Reply 27
Original post by miser
It varies a lot from place to place. Some companies pay pittance, others are competitive. What it comes down to is what skills you have and what industry you want to work in. When I was a graduate looking for jobs, the disparity in pay of the jobs I was offered was £18k (lowest) and £28k (highest). Most graduate jobs seemed to be about £24k.

Get good industry experience and get those company names on your CV. You can get well over £45k if you're willing to move jobs every few years to seek out new opportunities. At my present company, senior software engineers are on upwards of £60k p/a plus bonuses.

Thanks I'll keep that in mind. I think having a company like CapGemini on my CV would look great :smile:
Reply 28
Original post by Async
Thanks I'll keep that in mind. I think having a company like CapGemini on my CV would look great :smile:

Multinationals are always good.
Original post by Async
This question is mainly aimed towards those that have a job in the industry of computing. Especially programmers/software developer type jobs.

The reason as to why I'm asking is because after my A-Levels I need to start making important decisions about what I want to do with my future/career and I wanted to make sure that I don't settle for anything lower than I should.

For example, I have picked interest in a higher sponsored degree apprenticeship (capgemini) programme which pays about £16,000. I assume that pay rises as you get better etc. I looked at the average Software Dev salary and it was about £30k. Meaning that I'm already halfway there as a starting point.

So to give me insight, could anyone give me just a rough estimate on how much they earn, your job role and how many years of experience you have.

Thanks much appreciated.

I'm a 16 year old, that runs websites for people in my local area. I charge around £125-£200/month for a website to be kept running, and I currently have 19 clients. I'm earning well.

I do, however pay their bills. That's why the price is so high. Each client can, however, call me day or night if their site goes down.
Reply 30
Original post by Wesleigh
I'm a 16 year old, that runs websites for people in my local area. I charge around £125-£200/month for a website to be kept running, and I currently have 19 clients. I'm earning well.

I do, however pay their bills. That's why the price is so high. Each client can, however, call me day or night if their site goes down.

How do you fend off large scale DDoS attacks :colone: if they occur and naughty users who just want to disrupt or damage their site? Apart from the occasional SQL paramterized queries and patching xss attacks and whatnot.

Also, how did you get connections with these clients. How can they put so much trust in a 16 year old. No offense btw.
Original post by Async
How do you fend off large scale DDoS attacks :colone: if they occur and naughty users who just want to disrupt or damage their site? Apart from the occasional SQL paramterized queries and patching xss attacks and whatnot.

Also, how did you get connections with these clients. How can they put so much trust in a 16 year old. No offense btw.

No offence taken!

I use, normally, MySQLi. Slightly safer (imo) than general MySQL.

I have each site on a different server, hosted at different locations.

I use both Incapsula and Cloudflare. Incapsula for those who want to pay more, and Cloudflare can withstand attacks of over 300Gbps

Hope that explains all!
Reply 32
No offence taken!

I use, normally, MySQLi. Slightly safer (imo) than general MySQL.

I have each site on a different server, hosted at different locations.

I use both Incapsula and Cloudflare. Incapsula for those who want to pay more, and Cloudflare can withstand attacks of over 300Gbps

Hope that explains all!

I was just testing your metal by asking that question :wink:. Just wanted to see if you was true to what you said. I too use Cloudflare. You should try Prolexic, I heard they good.
Reply 33

Can we have some links to any your clients sites so i can see how well the sites are designed ?

How much is maintenance for a website per month for like the hosting and time investment if a site goes down?

How did you get clients at such a young age, asking friends and family etc?

Original post by azy2k9

Can we have some links to any your clients sites so i can see how well the sites are designed ?

How much is maintenance for a website per month for like the hosting and time investment if a site goes down?

How did you get clients at such a young age, asking friends and family etc?

I'd have to contact my clients to show you more than one example, but one that I can show you is http://torchlight-tuition.co.uk/ - this is a private tuition company, and I am in the process of redesigning the original site, to improve it. I did, however, design the original site.

Maintenance, for all the sites together, is around £600, and in the contract that I sign with each of my clients, I do state that I will work for a maximum of 4 hours, within a 24 hour time-frame of a report that a site is down, to put it back up.

It started with family friends, and I guess word of mouth just helped me to grow.
Reply 35
I'd have to contact my clients to show you more than one example, but one that I can show you is http://torchlight-tuition.co.uk/ - this is a private tuition company, and I am in the process of redesigning the original site, to improve it. I did, however, design the original site.

Maintenance, for all the sites together, is around £600, and in the contract that I sign with each of my clients, I do state that I will work for a maximum of 4 hours, within a 24 hour time-frame of a report that a site is down, to put it back up.

It started with family friends, and I guess word of mouth just helped me to grow.

Keep it up mate, you're one smart fella :smile:. You should also consider freelance website designing for people other than your normal 19 clients.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 36

Wow. I am actually amazed by the site its really well designed and considering your only 16 and know as much as you do, you will be working for a top firm in no time.

Something that you should at is making your websites responsive so they can be used across multiple devices (Mobile, Tablet, Desktop etc.), this can be done via Media Queries or you could use Bootstrap (Bootstrap is extremely useful and easy to use once learnt)
Reply 37
X

Can I ask you a question? Well I have a theory that young talented software developers either dislike school or don't perform so well in school simply because they are too busy doing what they love(coding) to care about college. Does this hold true for you?
Original post by azy2k9
Wow. I am actually amazed by the site its really well designed and considering your only 16 and know as much as you do, you will be working for a top firm in no time.Something that you should at is making your websites responsive so they can be used across multiple devices (Mobile, Tablet, Desktop etc.), this can be done via Media Queries or you could use Bootstrap (Bootstrap is extremely useful and easy to use once learnt)

Yeah, I built that when I wasn't really too sure about responsive themes. Admittedly, it's built around the Wordpress framework, so I didn't have too much of a hard job, but I have far to go.

I'm currently making the new site with a framework that was developed by a friend. It's simple, and has no name yet, but once it's fully released, I'll link you to the GitHub repository.

Original post by Async
Can I ask you a question? Well I have a theory that young talented software developers either dislike school or don't perform so well in school simply because they are too busy doing what they love(coding) to care about college. Does this hold true for you?

I'd be tempted to say yes and no.

There are often times where my school-work will suffer, but most of the time, I have to say: schoolwork comes first, and spare time will be spent on the sites.
Reply 39
Original post by Async
This question is mainly aimed towards those that have a job in the industry of computing. Especially programmers/software developer type jobs.

The reason as to why I'm asking is because after my A-Levels I need to start making important decisions about what I want to do with my future/career and I wanted to make sure that I don't settle for anything lower than I should.

For example, I have picked interest in a higher sponsored degree apprenticeship (capgemini) programme which pays about £16,000. I assume that pay rises as you get better etc. I looked at the average Software Dev salary and it was about £30k. Meaning that I'm already halfway there as a starting point.

So to give me insight, could anyone give me just a rough estimate on how much they earn, your job role and how many years of experience you have.

Thanks much appreciated.

I'm pretty sure the average developer is earning more than £30k.

I'm coming to end of my placement year and I was paid £15k. I know someone who is just finishing their Masters conversion course in Software Development and they got a graduate position in Edinburgh which is paying £25k.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending