The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 1
I see you are an international student. I didn't find out for ages after I applied. The UCAS system in the UK seems to be incredibly slow at posting and updating info... I ended up calling the uni to find out the status of my application.
Maybe it was because Edinburgh was my insurance offer that it took so long to update - not sure.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
arod
I see you are an international student. I didn't find out for ages after I applied. The UCAS system in the UK seems to be incredibly slow at posting and updating info... I ended up calling the uni to find out the status of my application.
Maybe it was because Edinburgh was my insurance offer that it took so long to update - not sure.

I got an offer from Aberdeen in 3 weeks, not my top choice, but still pretty quick. I'm anxious about Edinburgh, but maybe it will be a while.

Where in Canada are you from?
Reply 3
Ottawa..
It was quite funny at the start of the yr for the international students they had this big get together with a bagpiper to pipe us all into the reception etc. but the funny thing was I learned later that the bagpiper was actually a student from Boston. The original piper got a cold or something so he mentioned that he knew how to play and they substituted him.
Seemed kind of funny to have an American representing the Scottish university !
Reply 4
pdeedy1
I got an offer from Aberdeen in 3 weeks, not my top choice, but still pretty quick. I'm anxious about Edinburgh, but maybe it will be a while.

Where in Canada are you from?

Have you been to Aberdeen?? Colder, darker...esp. in the winter months!
More isolated when you need to get anywhere e.g. fly home or whatever.
Also not as much to do as there is in Edinburgh. Glasgow's only an hr away from Edinburgh as well.
Reply 5
arod
Ottawa..
It was quite funny at the start of the yr for the international students they had this big get together with a bagpiper to pipe us all into the reception etc. but the funny thing was I learned later that the bagpiper was actually a student from Boston. The original piper got a cold or something so he mentioned that he knew how to play and they substituted him.
Seemed kind of funny to have an American representing the Scottish university !

In fact I play the pipes myself! From what I hear, Aberdeen is pretty much in the middle of nowhere, in line w/ what you said, but I have never been. I also applied to Glasgow and Edinburgh, hopefully I'll go to one of those.

You at uni now? Where do you go?
Reply 6
Edinburgh, biological sciences.
Reply 7
arod
Edinburgh, biological sciences.

You like it?
Reply 8
I applied for History on October the 14th ... still nothing!
*I am a UK (English) applicant.
Reply 9
pdeedy1
You like it?

Yes, but I have to admit it's pretty easy going...
More or less a repeat of what I did in high school.... but at least it made the transition to uni and another country easy.
Also, you only have to take 3 subjects/term.... weird??
I'm used to 6 or 7 subjects to juggle, so although there are labs and stuff along with the lectures it's not particularily challenging. No doubt I'll be in for a rude shock in 2nd yr....
Reply 10
Ossie--I'm taking two histories as outside subjects (my degree is in politics), and they're terrific. Hope to see you at George Square next year!

Latest

Trending

Trending