The Student Room Group

Joint or single bank accounts for you and your other half?

This is always a tricky one I think. Nowadays it's more common to have both and have the joint account for all the outgoings that you both have, but then again I know so many people that have a joint account for everything.

What do you think? Joint, single or both accounts?

Scroll to see replies

I don't have any joint accounts with my other half,

I don't charge her rent to live in the house, I just tell her to take care of the electric and multimedia bills.
Joint for bills and food and we have separate accounts for anything we spend on just ourselves
Not that I have an other half but I'd advise having 1 joint and separate ones for each person.
I think you'd be too trusting to have only a joint account tbh, I think having single accounts as well is a good idea
We've always had our own accounts and it's never occured to me to join forces, but we do have a joint bills account. I'm not sure why you'd want to have a joint account for everything - you'd never be able to keep birthday presents/surprises etc a secret if they pay attention to the outgoings! :teehee:
With us, student loans / wages go into our own separate bank accounts. We've then got a joint account that we both pay into equally to cover rent / bills / food / (Netflix) etc.
Whatever is left over in our own account(s) is to do with as we wish.

Once we have both graduated / if one earns significantly more than the other we will probably adjust how much we pay into the joint account. But I'd never get rid of my single accounts.
Reply 7
Joint for bills. Separate for everything else.
We had a shared credit card for communal costs and split the bill each month, now we have a mortgage we have a shared account we pay equel ammounts into
I'd only ever have a joint account as a 'bills' account. The idea of not having my own bank account seems quite alien, but I've never understood those people who stop being individuals and merge into a 'couple' blob with no individual autonomy when they've been together for long enough.
Reply 10
Should be single accounts.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NutE
Should be single accounts.

Posted from TSR Mobile

no joint account= no association on each other credit report but then if you dont want a joint mortgage then i guess its makes no difference
Reply 12
Joint account for bills, both of us deposit the same amount every month. Never, ever would I share all of my money (not that there is much) with anyone!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
coming from someone with a history in banking, specifically complaints....

I always got the impression that people with joint accounts where either A) Whipped or B) Absolutely ancient, one partner still keeping money under the mattress etc.

There is literally no reason to have a joint bank account these days, unless one partner is paranoid to the extent of needing to look over the other's spending, by this point whether you have a joint bank account or not is the least of your worries.

Plus joint accounts can cause sooooooooo many problems when a couple breaks up. Any money spent by the other partner is no reclaimable, all bills and charges are legally spread between both parties regardless of who caused them. A partner can legally take all the money out of the account and then close it, the only thing you can do is set it up that both people have to sign (or give permission) to close the account, which doesn't stop the money being taken. Although banks do have marital dispute blocks, an individual is legally entitled to remove all the money up until those blocks are placed. It's easier via a divorce/separation to claim money via their own personal account than via a joint account.

The amount of times I had to deal with crying or distress people who partners had left them (one time had a crying wife whose husband had left her for a random woman) and emptied the joint account. Left pretty much penniless, needed to be given debt support, couldn't delay any payments for overdrafts etc as she had none and nothing we could do to help her as we where not liable (aka banks are only liable to help people who owe them money). Imo anyone who sets up a joint account is an idiot.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by DanB1991
coming from someone with a history in banking, specifically complaints....

I always got the impression that people with joint accounts where either A) Whipped or B) Absolutely ancient, one partner still keeping money under the mattress etc.

There is literally no reason to have a joint bank account these days, unless one partner is paranoid to the extent of needing to look over the other's spending, by this point whether you have a joint bank account or not is the least of your worries.

Plus joint accounts can cause sooooooooo many problems when a couple breaks up. Any money spent by the other partner is no reclaimable, all bills and charges are legally spread between both parties regardless of who caused them. A partner can legally take all the money out of the account and then close it, the only thing you can do is set it up that both people have to sign (or give permission) to close the account, which doesn't stop the money being taken. Although banks do have marital dispute blocks, an individual is legally entitled to remove all the money up until those blocks are placed. It's easier via a divorce/separation to claim money via their own personal account than via a joint account.

The amount of times I had to deal with crying or distress people who partners had left them (one time had a crying wife whose husband had left her for a random woman) and emptied the joint account. Left pretty much penniless, needed to be given debt support, couldn't delay any payments for overdrafts etc as she had none and nothing we could do to help her as we where not liable (aka banks are only liable to help people who owe them money). Imo anyone who sets up a joint account is an idiot.

Reasons to have one makes life much easier so that equal amounts are paid from each person towards direct debits, it was so annoying have to constantly transfer into each other's accounts to ensure each bill and food shop was paid for equally. You re an idiot in your choice of a bad partner if they run off with your money .
Original post by claireestelle
Reasons to have one makes life much easier so that equal amounts are paid from each person towards direct debits, it was so annoying have to constantly transfer into each other's accounts to ensure each bill and food shop was paid for equally. You re an idiot in your choice of a bad partner if they run off with your money .

Meh experience has taught me it's always those who least expect it who get stung the hardest. Nobody choices a partner if they think they can't trust them. There's a rate of something like 25-60% of being cheated on during the lifespan of the relationship (I think it's something like 6% per year or something similar).

You still have to transfer that bill money into the joint account anyway, instead both partners have to transfer money. Why not agree certain partner pays for certain things? Or take turns?

I had dealt with enough crying wives and distraught husbands to encourage me never to touch a joint account.
Meh experience has taught me it's always those who least expect it who get stung the hardest. Nobody choices a partner if they think they can't trust them. There's a rate of something like 25-60% of being cheated on during the lifespan of the relationship (I think it's something like 6% per year or something similar).

You still have to transfer that bill money into the joint account anyway, instead both partners have to transfer money. Why not agree certain partner pays for certain things? Or take turns?

I had dealt with enough crying wives and distraught husbands to encourage me never to touch a joint account.

Taking turns with direct debits? Not like we can keep swapping the accounts from which the payment comes out without some hassle. None of the bills we have are the same price or anywhere near each other so that didn't work either.
Transferring money to the joint is easier than having to bacs money to each other each time the other person buys something, one click compared to setting up a bacs payment is much easier ( all of our accounts are with the same bank but not all of the bacs are instaneous whereas withdrawals from the single to a joint account always are).
I trust my partner completely and I'll always have a separate isa with savings in so its not like I ll ever be penniless
Original post by claireestelle
Taking turns with direct debits? Not like we can keep swapping the accounts from which the payment comes out without some hassle. None of the bills we have are the same price or anywhere near each other so that didn't work either.
Transferring money to the joint is easier than having to bacs money to each other each time the other person buys something, one click compared to setting up a bacs payment is much easier ( all of our accounts are with the same bank but not all of the bacs are instaneous whereas withdrawals from the single to a joint account always are).
I trust my partner completely and I'll always have a separate isa with savings in so its not like I ll ever be penniless

Or just have a direct debit set up from one account, with a standing order leaving the other single account. No need for hastle, and actually requires less setting up and transfers than having two single accounts and one joint account.

All done automatically, without having to manually set up a FPS. BACs have been illegal to use for the last 3 years, with most banks using FPS for even longer.
(edited 8 years ago)
Or just have a direct debit set up from one account, with a standing order leaving the other single account. No need for hastle, and actually requires less setting up and transfers than having two single accounts and one joint account.

All done automatically, without having to manually set up a FPS. BACs have been illegal to use for the last 3 years, with most banks using FPS for even longer.

I d rather keep my joint account as I like the fact we ve linked credit for when we get our mortgage. There's no way of ensuring equal spending with singles and we ve both our names on all our bills that way so equal liability and all bills turn up on each of our credit rather than one person building up the better file. I had an fps take 4 days once so I ll stick to transfers into joint through our online banking

Transferring one lump sum into a joint account each month, from which all DDs and household expenses are paid, is much easier than keeping track of every single payment. I've done both, and much prefer having a joint account - though I still have my own, with enough money to keep me from starving if my husband did decide to run off with the secretary or whatever.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending