The Student Room Group

Choosing an Oral Topic

Hi,
I'm currently trying to choose my topic for my german oral. I know its got too be "firmly rooted in the target language country" so could anyone give me any tips or suggestions of a topic?? I'm seriously struggling all I have at the moment is Germany 1919-45 (Weimar Government and Nazi Germany), this is mainly because i did t at GCSE and will do a bit for my AS history module.

HELP would be much appreciated :biggrin:

Wedgie xxx
Reply 1
the school system? i did my as oral on that, mainly focussing on the hauptschule, and the way it limits options for students. my friend did hers on zivildienst, and how its compulsory for boys, and girls dont have to do it, otherwise, environment, religion, immigration etc, you can do it on anything you're interested in really, as long as you find something german about it, but this could just be an example that you focus on, like german procedures to improve environmental conditions etc.
Reply 2
*waits for immature joke about thread title*

hehe :p: I'm sorry :frown:

w00tt
Reply 3
w00tt haha

anyway to the OP, just pick something youre interested in, find a link to germany, done.
my decision making went politics - recent general election - die Bundestagswahl 2005. Done
Reply 4
If you've already done something similar I wouldn't attempt to do it again.
Reply 5
Quite a few people in my class (me included :wink:) are doing a city.
Reply 6
*waits for immature joke about thread title*

I know lol think how embarrassing it is when I have to go and practise my oral with the german assistant!!! :eek:

Thanks for the suggestions guys!!!

Amz xxx
Reply 7
Is this for the A2 Oral presentation? In which case it should be more of a stance/opinion e.g you think reunification was a good idea. You also have to include some statistics in the presentation, but I don't think it actually has to be based specifically on Germany. So you could say for example I'm for the smoking ban and then throw in stats about Germany etc. I say do something that interests you, and something which you are already quite familiar with.
Reply 8
For AS I did Sophie Scholl and it worked really well, there's plenty to talk about without it being overwhelmning, and it doesn't scream Nazi Germany. The material available is reasonably accessible as well which helps (and the film is really good :tongue:!)
Reply 9
heninacoop
For AS I did Sophie Scholl and it worked really well, there's plenty to talk about without it being overwhelmning, and it doesn't scream Nazi Germany. The material available is reasonably accessible as well which helps (and the film is really good :tongue:!)

Really? I did too :biggrin:

I have to choose my A2 oral topic next term. I'm scared!
It can be pretty much anything you like as long as it's to do with Germany or a German speaking country, but you'll have to do lots of research and practice, so it's best to do something you're at least vaguely interested in. I did my AS French oral on homelessness, but there are loads of things you could do.
Reply 11
I'm doing banning junk food in schools for my A2 topic, and the other person in my class is talking about banning skinny models... the examiner's going to think that we're nuts!
Reply 12

Yeah I've borrowed that from a friend of my dads I'm going to stick that in the discussion since it's worth more marks :biggrin:

Yeah this is for my AS oral, sorry should have made that more clear. My schools being well weird about this whole German thing, we don't do our AS listening, writing etc till year 13 we only do the speaking exam this year :confused: Apparently it's because loads of people resat so they thought it made sense to do it later.

Amz xxxx
Wedgie
Yeah I've borrowed that from a friend of my dads I'm going to stick that in the discussion since it's worth more marks :biggrin:

Yeah this is for my AS oral, sorry should have made that more clear. My schools being well weird about this whole German thing, we don't do our AS listening, writing etc till year 13 we only do the speaking exam this year :confused: Apparently it's because loads of people resat so they thought it made sense to do it later.

Amz xxxx

It does in a way because with languages you improve all the time, so you'll find the AS exams much easier when your language is at A2 standard. It will make it a bit difficult to predict you a grade for uni though, and if you do the exams for the first time in the summer of Year 13, you'll have no chance to resit.
I spoke to two of my teachers, and decided that I want to start thinking about my topic in half term next week. Not sure what to do yet.
Reply 15
I spoke to two of my teachers, and decided that I want to start thinking about my topic in half term next week. Not sure what to do yet.

We started ours just before Christmas, as it is the only exam we'll be doing this year :smile: Not looking forward to the mass of German exams next year lol

Good luck with whatever you choose, for me I think the hardest bit was figuring out what to say, once I new you just get going. Which exam board are you with?? As our oral could come anytime from the start of march to may, hence the early start :eek:

Amz xxxx
Reply 16
i'm doing the berlin wall:smile:
Wedgie
We started ours just before Christmas, as it is the only exam we'll be doing this year :smile: Not looking forward to the mass of German exams next year lol

Good luck with whatever you choose, for me I think the hardest bit was figuring out what to say, once I new you just get going. Which exam board are you with?? As our oral could come anytime from the start of march to may, hence the early start :eek:

Amz xxxx

Good luck!

Thanks :smile: Yeah I hate getting started. I'm with OCR. I started researching today and one of the ideas I have is Germany's stance on size 0.
Reply 18
Thanks Yeah I hate getting started. I'm with OCR. I started researching today and one of the ideas I have is Germany's stance on size 0.

Hmmm that sounds good *quick steal the idea lol!! Not sure what you could talk about in your discussion, though I'm sure you have it covered lol. Think that was another deciding factor for me as I knew I could get controversal in my discussion, as apparently we need to make it sound spontaneous and interupt out teacher. It has to be "real" :rolleyes: Ahhh teachers
Hehe, mine :P

No I'm not sure yet cos I haven't done much research. I have to find another 2 topics too.

Yeah, I always panic about that.

Latest

Trending

Trending