The Student Room Group

Equation of a circle question

Hello I did this question and got (x-7)^2+(y-7)^2= root 58 but on the answers it says root 56 so can someone please tell me if I have done something wrong or the answers are wrong thanks
Original post by Bobby21231
Hello I did this question and got (x-7)^2+(y-7)^2= root 58 but on the answers it says root 56 so can someone please tell me if I have done something wrong or the answers are wrong thanks

Hi. I get root 58 as well! :smile:

I double-checked by first working out the coordinates of the centre of the circle (7,7) then working out the length of the line segments between the centre and the points (0,4), (4,0) and (10,0) respectively. They all come to root 58.

56 did appear when I was working out the y coordinate of the centre of the circle, so I'm wondering if there is a typo?
Reply 2
Original post by Bobby21231

This question's on the AQA further maths practice paper 3 (Q 14, here) and in their mark scheme the radius is root 58. Doing the question myself- you're clearly right, the centre's (7,7) and taking (4,0) the radius would be root (7^2 + 3^2). Probably just a typo then...
Reply 3
Original post by \\\
This question's on the AQA further maths practice paper 3 (Q 14, here) and in their mark scheme the radius is root 58. Doing the question myself- you're clearly right, the centre's (7,7) and taking (4,0) the radius would be root (7^2 + 3^2). Probably just a typo then...

Original post by M.C. Math
Hi. I get root 58 as well! :smile:

I double-checked by first working out the coordinates of the centre of the circle (7,7) then working out the length of the line segments between the centre and the points (0,4), (4,0) and (10,0) respectively. They all come to root 58.

56 did appear when I was working out the y coordinate of the centre of the circle, so I'm wondering if there is a typo?

Ok thankyou very much for checking this for me

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending