The Student Room Group

To all Feminists : Why are you feminists?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by aaronlowe
Sarcasm lol. Either love it or hate it you cant eat it :tongue:

I don't get that phrase at the end it seems you put as what my teacher would say 'buzz' words together.
Original post by feministalaska
I don't think the name needs to update itself. We use mankind to describe all of humanity, and nobody complains about that. More people should focus on the movement itself, because that's what is important.

I think the PC term would be personkind :tongue:

As in postperson, personcover and personhandled
Original post by MenAreHumanToo
You cannot be serious

unless you're being sarcastic :ahee:

No ofc not I just googled the term and found out what you meant. I had never heard of masculinism too but I guessed what that was.
Original post by GCSEhak3r
I don't get that phrase at the end it seems you put as what my teacher would say 'buzz' words together.

My own joke. The idea being the only useful stuff is the stuff you can eat. E.g. you cant eat money
My own joke. The idea being the only useful stuff is the stuff you can eat. E.g. you cant eat money

I am sure if you tried really hard you could eat anything thus your quote has been proven invalid.
I made no assumption as you are assuming. I know that the current situation doesn't treat women equally. Just saying the feminist movement is out of date in todays context. We should be concentrating on humanity, not dividing people into groups that are then set against each other.

When our differences become more important than our similarities then wars will innevitably happen.

Well, feminism is about more powers for women. Not about equality for all humans. They may talk about equality but by making it only about women then it can never be.

Your words. You've shown your confusion here. For the first two sentences to work together logically, you must make the assumption that both sexes are equal at the starting point. For people's concentration on women's rights to cause inequality, then women's rights must be already equal to or greater than men's rights. That is obviously not the case, so it is very possible for people to concentrate on women's rights in order to bring about equality.

Your statement on humanity is very vague and washy-washy. What do you mean by 'we should be concentrating on humanity'? Surely, as you say, when factions within humanity develop, humanity suffers as a result? In that case, is it not very important to make sure that women cannot complain and feel aggrieved by the inequality in our society?
Well that as a man I am anti-Masculinist for the same reason I am anti-Feminist. Because they both create division

On what grounds do they produce division . Do you not want equality between sexs, do you believe equality between sexs has been achieved. Of the answer to either is yes then there are branches of femenism that you seem to be agreeing with.
Because gender inequality still exists. It's 2015, women should not earn less money than men for the same job.
Original post by MenAreHumanToo
Please no hate or name calling, this is a genuine question.

I want to know what made you to become a feminist and what you are doing that contributes to the aims of this movement

Thanks

I'm a feminist because a man in a room full of women is ecstatic, yet a woman in a room full of men is terrified.

I don't do anything in particular to contribute to the movement. However, I guess I contribute by discussing feminism with people and changing their perceptions about it. I also sign petitions online that I feel are particularly worthy and contribute to the feminist movement. :yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am sure if you tried really hard you could eat anything thus your quote has been proven invalid.

You could chew and swallow it but to qualify as food (hence useful) it would have to contain neutriance. So your invalid statement has proven to be invalid lol
Original post by garfeeled
On what grounds do they produce division . Do you not want equality between sexs, do you believe equality between sexs has been achieved. Of the answer to either is yes then there are branches of femenism that you seem to be agreeing with.

They create division by their very existence. I want equality for humans, not one group divided from another.
You could chew and swallow it but to qualify as food (hence useful) it would have to contain neutriance. So your invalid statement has proven to be invalid lol

Nope again proven invalid heres what you said

Sarcasm lol. Either love it or hate it you cant eat it

eat it didnt say it isnt food
Original post by LydiaFirefly<3
I'm a feminist because a man in a room full of women is ecstatic, yet a woman in a room full of men is terrified.

I don't do anything in particular to contribute to the movement. However, I guess I contribute by discussing feminism with people and changing their perceptions about it. I also sign petitions online that I feel are particularly worthy and contribute to the feminist movement. :yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was the only male in my GCSE German class.

That was scary :afraid:

In a teenage boy can't talk to girls kind of way :tongue:
Original post by ibzombie96
Well, feminism is about more powers for women. Not about equality for all humans. They may talk about equality but by making it only about women then it can never be.

Your words. You've shown your confusion here. For the first two sentences to work together logically, you must make the assumption that both sexes are equal at the starting point. For people's concentration on women's rights to cause inequality, then women's rights must be already equal to or greater than men's rights. That is obviously not the case, so it is very possible for people to concentrate on women's rights in order to bring about equality.

Your statement on humanity is very vague and washy-washy. What do you mean by 'we should be concentrating on humanity'? Surely, as you say, when factions within humanity develop, humanity suffers as a result? In that case, is it not very important to make sure that women cannot complain and feel aggrieved by the inequality in our society?

Ok to make it simpler for you, answer this question:

In an uncut orange, which half is more equal?
Original post by feministalaska
I don't think the name needs to update itself. We use mankind to describe all of humanity, and nobody complains about that. More people should focus on the movement itself, because that's what is important.

Also, in most countries, men and women are not on even footing.

And in those countries you won't find feminism as allowed as it is here.

Feminism can keep it's name if women feel like it should stay that way (for whatever reason) but it might reach out to more men ( which = more support for the cause) if labelled as Gender Equality. You can't argue as much against Gender Equality but you can argue against the misogynistic views inside feminism which makes people feel like feminism is dragging society down.
Nope again proven invalid heres what you said

eat it didnt say it isnt food

As I already said to be useful it has to be food.
As I already said to be useful it has to be food.

Therefore the phrase

is incorrect better wording would be

Sarcasm lol. Either love it or hate it isnt food..
Original post by ibzombie96

For the first two sentences to work together logically, you must make the assumption that both sexes are equal at the starting point. For people's concentration on women's rights to cause inequality, then women's rights must be already equal to or greater than men's rights. That is obviously not the case, so it is very possible for people to concentrate on women's rights in order to bring about equality.

I don't think that's true. Unless you think of equality as a see-saw, which is an oversimplified way of looking at things.
Reply 98
sorry, on my phone so can't quote but in response to a MenAreHumansToo - its not that I don't acknowledge the same can happen to men but from talking to male friends (as the majority of mt friends are), they have never been harassed in a club or cat called. They have the same walk home as me but never have felt unsafe or been forced into an unsafe situation when walking home whereas female housemates and I have. This is something we have talked about at length.

and your comment of "you should expect that behaviour at a night club" (sorry, paraphrasing), surely that in itself highlights what's wrong with society? That what, because I am a woman I should just go along with inappropriate behaviour? No, surely that is a basis of the argument that men (or woman if it is something they do) need to learn respect and personal boundaries. Just because someone is drunk doesn't give them the right to act like predators. This is where we need to educate and enforce "no means no" and promote respect for women and woman's bodies? The fact that such behaviour is treated as the norm in clubs etc just highlights how there still is a lack of equality I certain aspects of society.
Ok to make it simpler for you, answer this question:

In an uncut orange, which half is more equal?

Wow, you must have completely out-witted me there because I haven't a ****ing clue what you're on about.

So, just to be clear, do you still disagree that you made an assumption of equality in your original argument?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending