The Student Room Group

Saturday Job

I'm turning 16 this Saturday (13th June) and wondering where to get a good pay for a Saturday Job? I was thinking somewhere I go to a lot, so for example New Look? Costa? Voisins? Any good places please list below, thanks :grin:
I think you have to be 18 to work at those places that you've mentioned. You're quite restricted as you are young - cleaning/paper-round/hairdressers are ones that tend to take on young workers.

However, I know a couple of carers who are 16 where I work, so if you want to, or if you are interested, to do care work - that is worth mentioning to a few care companies, as well. According to Skills for Care, you can work in a care environment under the age of 18 if;

they have completed or are undertaking an approved training programme in health and social care

the registered manager or a delegated person assesses the competence and confidence of the young worker to carry out all the tasks required of them, including where necessary intimate personal care

that appropriate support is offered to the young worker

the consent of the person being supported and/or their advocate has been obtained

inexperienced practitioners are not left in charge of a care setting or left to work on their own.

I am not sure what you are going to be doing in the future? Are you going to college? Sixth Form? Etc. I hope this has helped you in some way? It will also help to read this https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/work/young-people/young-people-and-employment/ for more information regarding employment.

Good luck! :-)
Costa hire 16+ but you'll basically be their slave, to be honest between 16-18 you'll generally feel like a donkey but it's good practice for when you're 18+

The only places that I can think of that treat their staff equally (with regards to pay or professionally) are The Co-Operative Group (but they're so unorganized and are very, very bureaucratic) and the Waitrose/John Lewis Partnership whom of which have performance-related pay after 3 months I believe. I earn £6.73 an hour from Waitrose and I'm due to start on the 19th, but within 3 months that can shoot up to over £7! The application process can be lengthy (although mine was over and done with in a week) but the amount of online paperwork and assessment you have to do is a tad undesirable and off putting, but it's so worth it! The JLP (I've heard) are the best retail company to work for! Also, if you're willing to work Sunday's they pay you Time and a half (your normally hourly rate plus half of your pay on top, so mines £6.73/2 = £3.37 + £6.73 = around £10.10 an hour)
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending