The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Eyebrow wax/shape is usually about £5, to have it done by threading it costs me around £7-8.

Debenhams and House of Fraser do it in some stores. Most beauty shops, hairdressers and tanning shops also do it.
Reply 2
what exactly is threading?
i've seen it mentioned here and there.. but i don't know exactly what it is..
it's an ancient Indian method of hair removal. The beautician has a long piece of thread (I assume it's special thread) and they kind of twist it. Then they hold it to the skin, grabbing the hairs in the twist of the thread. Then they pull one end of the thread, causing it to twist even more tightly, plucking the gripped hairs with it. It's hard to explain, and slightly more painful than waxing (but it doesn't hurt, just twinges) and I find it lasts longer and you can alter the shape of your eyebrows more with it and get more defined arches somehow, which is difficult to achieve when they're waxed.
i get my eyebrows threaded for £4. i don't know any good places in central london but i would suggest an asian beauty salon. I reckon they are the best at shaping eyebrows :biggrin:
Reply 5
I've been wanting to go to an Asian salon for eyebrow threading for a while, but I keep chickening out - simply because I want the 'full' brow look, and nothing too thin, so I'm not sure I can trust somebody to achieve this. I'm not sure how they determine what suits you either.

Anyway, I can't go for a while now because I trimmed and pucked my brow's last night. I'm usually happy with my DIY jobs, except the hair seems sparser on my right brow for some reason, and I can't quite get them to match. :frown:
Reply 6
When I went for my waxing last time (half leg, bikini and underarm) they beautician did my eyebrows for free :smile: Nice lady.
Reply 7
theres one near marble arch
prices look a little expensive to me
but hey iam a boy :smile: lol
i've had 1 or 2 bad eyebrow jobs where they've been done way too thin, and by the time they let you look in the mirror, it's loo late. now i make it very clear that i don't want thin eyebrows, and i don't want a big arch, i just want them to stick to my natural eyebrow shape and neaten it up/define it a little more. some can be a bit funny about it, wanting to do it how they think they should look, but if they do get a bit funny i tell them i'll go somewhere else. i mean, eyebrows do grow back so nothing will be permanent anyway, but make it clear what you want (or more what you don't want) and they should be fine!
i get my eyebrows threaded for £2 :biggrin: and they do it really well.. £7 + is too much for eyebrow threading....
Reply 10
Thanks for the replies everyone!! I've booked in for Friday. Excited and nervous. I've never been before and left my eyebrows natural. shock horror!!
Reply 11
love2learn
Thanks for the replies everyone!! I've booked in for Friday. Excited and nervous. I've never been before and left my eyebrows natural. shock horror!!

Make sure if you don't want pencil thin eyebrows you let them know!
costs me about £5 and that's the cheapest i've seen in notts.however if you go into asian shops, or afrocarribean shops or to trainee schools it should be a lot cheaper :smile:

i got my first eyebrow wax the other day and it was so nice :smile: still is hehe,the lady was talking to me through the steps etc,telling me what she was doing.they should ask you how much you want taken off etc.i also asked her for tips for other stuff. once a month for me :biggrin:
Reply 13
They usually trained to do the shape that fits your face since you not had them done before yeah its about £5 training schools charge cheaper but doesnt mean they dont do a good job i was supervised the hole time when waxing till i was confident with it then i passed :biggrin:
Reply 14
I want to go and have my eyebrows done professionally, but I am worried they'll wreck them or something...
well depends if they know what they're doing or not.most do it great though so don't worry :smile: if they screw it,you can get a refund and fill it in with pencil it grows back :smile:
Reply 16
OK :smile: Is there anything online about recommended places? Or should I just go to my hairdressers?
just to a place that looks at least clean and slightly professional. it should really only cost about £5.there will be some variation,but if you go to a place that charges £5.50 it's fine,then next you can just look for somewhere cheaper :smile:
Does anyone know anywhere good and cheap in Plymouth, city centre or Mutley Plain?
Reply 19
Thanks, January Victim, I have an idea where to go - I'm going to ask my friend today.

Latest