The Student Room Group

Nobel scientist says women in science 'fall in love' and 'cry' in labs

Scroll to see replies

Silly old fart that should retire to potter around in the shed, doing experiments.
Original post by caravaggio2
Silly old fart that should retire to potter around in the shed, doing experiments.

I agree. And, segregated labs... :K:
Maybe the ones he works with did that, some women do those thiings to be fair.
We need more recognition of women in science.Just look at the DNA fiasco around rosalind franklin,the perfect microcosm of how women achievements and contributions arent given enough credit in male dominated science.
Wilkins only contribution was to give the photo the crick and watson.
Original post by Skip_Snip
Maybe the ones he works with did that, some women do those thiings to be fair.

Some women do, but that doesn't mean all do...

So he shouldn't have made such a general statement
(edited 8 years ago)
Here's Milo Yiannopoulos's take on it

(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Snagprophet

Interesting.

loooool. how is it sexist? it is the truth. women are factually (he is a scientist after all.. one with a Nobel prize; you don't just get those you know) much more emotional than men. they cry more. they cause more drama. they are much more emotionally & psychologically manipulative than men are - and will use it to their advantage: e.g. seducing the examiner to ensure they get a good grade or crying when their work is criticized to ensure that they don't recieve the same punishment that the other sexes, in a similar position, would've received.. therefore they are much more sensitive (whether consciously/knowingly to further their own agenda or as a means of exploitation); therefore would require 'cry-rooms' (there's a couple in my school and the very idea pisses me off).

besides; with all the medias' shutting up of people/activists (such as this) with buzzwords such as mysogynistic or sexist e.t.c - for agendas or movements/ideologies that don't match their own; it's high time someone came out with the truth and didn't retract the statement. women are equal to men; but at the same time, the species have their differences. he didn't in anyway say that this was a bad thing; but only pointed out that the lab isn't the same as the love-making room. get over your entitlement. after all, it is a LAB; not a place to fall in love; and with the amount of time that is taken to fall in and out of love, earth-shattering breakthroughs might've been made.

in addition, this is the same media that focused more on the scientist that did something amazing in space; but couldn't get over the fact that he wore a shirt that had comical value. i blame feminism.

finally, the irony of threads such as this, is the very fact that he describes what is happening right now. that is, he is pointing out that women get offended easily (whether knowingly or not); by having YOU get offended easily to his post/comment. Check-mate.
Some people want to get attention and so state a deliberately controversial view to make themselves the centre of attention. You see it all the time on TSR.

As he's a Nobel prize winning scientist he's earned the opportunity to get major press attention for his controversial view.

It should be motivation for all those kids on here that post threads about feminism all the time, if you work hard and study STEM you can get a grandstand audience for being a tosspot not just attention from a forum of students.
The actual facts are not controversial, more why exactly it makes we'd need to be segregated. He says women scientists fall in love with men and the men fall in love with the woman, yes good sir that's the side-effect of us reproducing sexually and being an emotionally complex species, nobel prize for no **** Sherlock. Same with the crying tbh, yes women are more likely to cry than men in general, so it follows more will cry at work, partly social as men crying is seen as weak and partly biological, as I'd say women are simply slightly more emotional as a general rule (of course there are exceptions).

If it means segregation then we may as well completely segregate and live in different cities, coming together to breed lol.....sounds like something ISIS would endorse tbf, albeit they'd need sex slaves to satisfy themselves in the meantime.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Snagprophet

I knew he would be a tit as soon as I saw his hair.
Original post by theDanIdentity
loooool. how is it sexist? it is the truth. women are factually (he is a scientist after all.. one with a Nobel prize; you don't just get those you know) much more emotional than men. they cry more. they cause more drama. they are much more emotionally & psychologically manipulative than men are - and will use it to their advantage: e.g. seducing the examiner to ensure they get a good grade or crying when their work is criticized to ensure that they don't recieve the same punishment that the other sexes, in a similar position, would've received.. therefore they are much more sensitive (whether consciously/knowingly to further their own agenda or as a means of exploitation); therefore would require 'cry-rooms' (there's a couple in my school and the very idea pisses me off).

First, getting Nobel Prize =/= being right in everything

But thanks for giving me ideas. Next time I get a crappy grade, I'll try to seduce my examiner to change it or shed some tears on purpose if that doesn't work :rolleyes:

Apart from with the girls in your school, where else have you seen this happen, can I ask? Truly representative generalisation? I think not.

besides; with all the medias' shutting up of people/activists (such as this) with buzzwords such as mysogynistic or sexist e.t.c - for agendas or movements/ideologies that don't match their own; it's high time someone came out with the truth and didn't retract the statement. women are equal to men; but at the same time, the species have their differences. he didn't in anyway say that this was a bad thing; but only pointed out that the lab isn't the same as the love-making room. get over your entitlement. after all, it is a LAB; not a place to fall in love; and with the amount of time that is taken to fall in and out of love, earth-shattering breakthroughs might've been made.

As joey11223 has mentioned above, falling in love is a completely natural thing to do. But does that doesn't mean women view the lab as a 'love-making' room. They're working in the lab, or any workplace in that case, for the same reasons as the men, as much as you'll find that hard to believe.

in addition, this is the same media that focused more on the scientist that did something amazing in space; but couldn't get over the fact that he wore a shirt that had comical value. i blame feminism.

Definitely comical to promote (albeit unknowingly) sexual objectification while the whole world is watching...

finally, the irony of threads such as this, is the very fact that he describes what is happening right now. that is, he is pointing out that women get offended easily (whether knowingly or not); by having YOU get offended easily to his post/comment. Check-mate.

Lol, this is just funny. Where did you get the inkling that I was offended by his comments? I simply pointed out that they were sexist. It seems to me that you got more offended by my post than I did by his comments.
Original post by Texx
I knew he would be a tit as soon as I saw his hair.

I couldn't help but laugh :lol:
He has a point. Mixed schools are also a bad idea because they hold girls back.
Reply 16
He should not make such massive generalisations.
Original post by capitalismstinks
He has a point. Mixed schools are also a bad idea because they hold girls back.

I'm probably wrong but I'm guessing you mean 'holding back' as in boys distracting them?

While it is true that girls are distracted by boys and boys by girls, isn't it something that they'll have to eventually get used to anyway when we enter the world of work?

Again, I'm probably guessing wrong so ignore my post if I am
Original post by enaayrah
I'm probably wrong but I'm guessing you mean 'holding back' as in boys distracting them?

While it is true that girls are distracted by boys and boys by girls, isn't it something that they'll have to eventually get used to anyway when we enter the world of work?

Again, I'm probably guessing wrong so ignore my post if I am

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think he means in gender segregated schools,girls aren't held back or put off by stereotypes like that physics and engineering are just for boys.
Alot of women who do these subjects at uni come from segregated schools.
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile

I think he means in gender segregated schools,girls aren't held back or put off by stereotypes like that physics and engineering are just for boys.
Alot of women who do these subjects at uni come from segregated schools.

Oh okay :colondollar: I guess that's true, but I was personally never put off engineering or anything because of the boys in my class

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending