The Student Room Group

OCR Psychology G544

Scroll to see replies

hi, i've got a full mark answer for the project section that might by helpful. This answer is from the June 2014 paper. Its about research on the effect of the presence of others on sport performance.

To obtain my sample, I would use an opportunity samplingmethod. I would use sixth form students who are above the age of 16 and takepart in running activities so it is less likely that there is a significantdifference in abilities between groups. They will all be sent a form askingwhether they would like to participate in an experiment involving sportperformance. Within the form they will say whether they will like toparticipate or not and they will have to bring it back to school by next week,if not then they are definitely not taking parting in the research. Therefore,my research conforms to the ethical guideline of being over 16 and consent.
After the form deadline, I would randomly split theparticipants into two equal groups. I would use an independent measures designmeaning different participants are used in each condition. This ensures that ordereffects do not play a part in the results. The experiment will take place inthe sports hall and the length that the participants have to run is 200m once. Onegroup will run one by one and there will be no audience. This will occur in themorning, the second one will still run one by one. However there will be anaudience. The audience will be obtained by sending invitations to students withinthe school to watch the sixth formers run. Each participant’s run will befilmed on camera so I could time them. Another colleague will also time theparticipants’ run. This is to ensure that I have timed the participantsaccurately hence increasing reliability. Once all the participants’ runningtimes have been obtained, it will be analysed. One way I could do this is byfinding the average time of each group and comparing them. Another way is torank each times in order of quickest to slowest and see whether the quickertimes are held by participants in the audience condition or not.
Once the results are analysed, I would debrief theparticipants and thank them for their participation. In addition, they will beoffered the chance to be told their time. Therefore, my method conforms to theethical guideline of debriefing. To meet the guideline of psychology harm and theright to withdraw, the participants will be told that they can withdraw fromthe experiment at any time. To conform the guideline of physical harm, I wouldonly allow students who feel fit enough to run to participate.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by alexgreen123
Np, now please someone help me with the section A! :frown:

what are you particularly stuck on in section a?
Original post by Ashdaw21
what are you particularly stuck on in section a?

@totoro97 thankyou! And the part i find difficult is making sure i have put in all the things they want for different experiments, e.g self reports or observations. I don't know if that make sense but its more of what do i need to put in for the different ones
@totoro97 thankyou! And the part i find difficult is making sure i have put in all the things they want for different experiments, e.g self reports or observations. I don't know if that make sense but its more of what do i need to put in for the different ones

Oh are you talking about the 19 marker?

My teacher taught it us like this

SAMPLE: population of six formers. how would you collect sample, where would you go and what would you say? how many people? what ages and ethnicities?
ORGANISED: what type of sample method ( RMD, IMD,MP) how this is conducted,
WHERE AND WHEN; what time, which room i.e A10 maths room, what resouces would you need( 20 questionnaires and 20 pens?) In the room what would be kept the same and what will be removed to avoid distractions.
TEST: what instructions given, what the participants will be told, example of the question which the participants will be given. ethics- i.e. right to withdraw
RESULTS: collected results, how would you display them? would you use a statistical test

I dont know if this has helped at all.
Oh are you talking about the 19 marker?

My teacher taught it us like this

SAMPLE: population of six formers. how would you collect sample, where would you go and what would you say? how many people? what ages and ethnicities?
ORGANISED: what type of sample method ( RMD, IMD,MP) how this is conducted,
WHERE AND WHEN; what time, which room i.e A10 maths room, what resouces would you need( 20 questionnaires and 20 pens?) In the room what would be kept the same and what will be removed to avoid distractions.
TEST: what instructions given, what the participants will be told, example of the question which the participants will be given. ethics- i.e. right to withdraw
RESULTS: collected results, how would you display them? would you use a statistical test

I dont know if this has helped at all.

Yeah that sounds good, so for every experiment do you have to put how you will present the data at the end? E.g bar chart/ scattergraph, bc i have been doing that but idk if it's wrong 😩 what have your teachers predicted for this year?
Original post by cherryred90s
yeah, a study high in reliability will usually have low validity, particularly ecological validity e.g loftus and Palmer eyewitness testimony highly reliable but lacks Eco validity as it's not true of real life settings
yochelson and samenow - low validity because participants openly lied
field/natural quasi highly valid. a lot of research into social psychology is valid because they are usually conducted in a field setting to study how people interact with others such as piliavins study.
case studies are generally high in validity e.g Freud and little hans/thigpen and cleckley with eve...in depth info on one or a small group of participants generate a high level of validity
review articles generally have a low level of temporal validity due to outdated research e.g Raines review article on brain dysfunction

social desirability bias/ demand characteristics/practice effects will all compromise validity so any studies using self report method/interviews/experiments like repeated measures will have compromised validity
hope this was helpful

Yes thanks, very helpful. Feel more prepared if it does come up!
Yeah that sounds good, so for every experiment do you have to put how you will present the data at the end? E.g bar chart/ scattergraph, bc i have been doing that but idk if it's wrong 😩 what have your teachers predicted for this year?

Yeah thats it. I think that way you are likely to get 19 marks. My teacher just said to revise everything, because ocr is unpredictable at times. Im just looking at what people have predicted on the student room though.
Yeah thats it. I think that way you are likely to get 19 marks. My teacher just said to revise everything, because ocr is unpredictable at times. Im just looking at what people have predicted on the student room though.

Do you think there's any point in revising psychodynamic considering it came up lastt year?
Can anyone explain to me how to plan a correlational project? I find it slightly confusing
Do you think there's any point in revising psychodynamic considering it came up lastt year?

Yes, revise is it. In G543, farringtons study came up for a 2nd (or even 3rd) time in a row
Reply 50
Need help with the 19 marker in section A on correlation. It's so confusing!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, just to be on the safe side. Hope that helps.
For a correlational study use survey, so gather a sample of students and they make them complete a survey on grades and then after complete an IQ test for intelligence. so for the survey example: how many A* have you got? 0-1, 2-3, 4-5 6 or more? and then the next question could be how many As grades you got? and then pick the number you got etc.. .and then could plot a graph of results of the number of people that picked 0-1, or 4-5 on scale against the scores of an IQ test and from there you could determine a correlation.

You could use a repeated measures design.

I don't know if this will be helpful or if i've put the correct info about correlation. Its just something i would put in the exam if got asked about corrleational studies.
guy, you know for the strengths and limitations of approaches, do you start the sentence off as: a limitation of the approach is that it uses research that is conducted in lab settings thus, it lacks ecological validity
OR would you say
a limitation of the approach is that it lacks ecological validity?
I would probably go for the second one, then give examples of how a study using a lab experiment is ecologically invalid to support it. I think your meant to try and use global structure, so key themes or points that immediately answer the question, followed by more specific points that back it up.
guy, you know for the strengths and limitations of approaches, do you start the sentence off as: a limitation of the approach is that it uses research that is conducted in lab settings thus, it lacks ecological validity
OR would you say
a limitation of the approach is that it lacks ecological validity?

Whoops, above post was in reply, clicked the wrong box...
What predictions have people made for this exam? :smile:
don't know if this is going to be helpful to anyone but i was taught an acronym for the 19 mark question for section A :-)

My - Method
Very - Variables
Simple - Sample
Method - Materials
Passes - Procedure
Real - Results
Exams - Ethics
Guys, does anyone how to answer question E? I dont know to start it off. i,e if it talks about ethnocentrism how would i start it off?
Reply 59
I'm a bit worried about how to structure the ones about debates. Any ideas?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending