The Student Room Group

Civil Service Fast Stream 2015/16

I know it is really early but if you're applying you're probably already thinking about it.

I'm going to apply for central departments and Houses of Parliament.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I'm almost certainly trying again, not hopeful though.
Reply 2
Original post by jelly1000
I'm almost certainly trying again, not hopeful though.

How many times have you applied?
Original post by EloiseStar
How many times have you applied?

only the once, got knocked out at the first hurdle though...
I'm keen on applying, but in the next month or so. Diplomatic service looks appealing.
Reply 5
I know it is really early but if you're applying you're probably already thinking about it.

I'm going to apply for HR.

Bit too late to apply for 2015 :s-smilie:
Reply 6
Original post by Quady
Bit too late to apply for 2015 :s-smilie:

15/16....
Reply 7
How do the career advancement prospects of Fast Stream compare with the TSP offered by HMRC?
Reply 8
15/16....

The 2016 competition.
Reply 9
Original post by Quady
The 2016 competition.

People know what I mean...
I'll be going for Technology.
Can somebody who's been through it all etc give a really thorough explanation of the process? Such as how to apply, what do you write etc and how every stage is?

I'm looking at going into diplomacy. I'm doing english at uni in my third year soon. I have a few languages such a Russian and I'm also a black belt at TKD. I used to do sports and martial arts coaching too. Would this be a good base?
Applied half heartedly last year but want to give it a real shot this year. Looking at the Generalist and European streams.
Original post by tillytots
Applied half heartedly last year but want to give it a real shot this year. Looking at the Generalist and European streams.

How far did you get?
How far did you get?

Didn't get past the numerical/verbal reasoning tests
Reply 15
Really interested in the Diplomatic Service even though it's a long shot. Especially r.e. numerical tests but I might as well give it a shot.
I recently passed this year's second round for HR. For those struggling with the verbal and numerical tests, I just want to say - I found that practising made a huge difference (especially if you, like me, are just a bit rusty because your school years date a long while back). There are practice tests available online for free. I did sign up for one of the "pay for" ones, just to get a broader variety of sample tests.

As for the process - it is quite well described on the Civil Service Fast Stream website, and there is a detailed guide there for the FSAC (assessment centre), too. If you wanted more info, there used to be a lovely little book called "Getting Into The Civil Service Fast Stream: An Unofficial Guide By Existing Fast Streamers", available for download on amazon. But I just looked for it to copy the link, and it seems to be no longer available :frown:You will be completely fine, however, with the "official" info, it is quite comprehensive.

In general - I have quite a few years of working experience, and therefore did not find the assessment centre horrendously challenging (don't get me wrong - I was knackered by the end of the day :smile:). This is just to say that if, as a recent graduate, you don't make it through this round, your chances will increase exponentially with each new attempt (you will also get very detailed feedback on your FSAC performance).
Original post by addyaxis
Can somebody who's been through it all etc give a really thorough explanation of the process? Such as how to apply, what do you write etc and how every stage is?

I'm looking at going into diplomacy. I'm doing english at uni in my third year soon. I have a few languages such a Russian and I'm also a black belt at TKD. I used to do sports and martial arts coaching too. Would this be a good base?

I went through the application process in 13/14, assuming it hasn't changed too much since then the stages go something like this:

1) Register online, complete self-assessment test to see how you do at the Verbal/Numerical reasoning.

2) Complete the actual verbal/numerical reasoning tests, and a competency test. The latter is more important - I've seen people progress pass this stage with just 45% on the numerical, but the pass mark for the comptency test seems to be around 65%.

3) eTray assessment - this takes a couple of hours and is done online. The first half is an inbox exercise - you get briefed on a situation and then have to choose the best and worst answers to a series of emails. The second half is a written exercise and will generally consist of something like preparing a briefing for a minister or your department head about the situation.

4) FSAC - this is the day long assessment centre in London. There are a variety of tasks including a group exercise, a competency based interview, and a policy briefing written exercise.

5) FSB - if you've applied for a scheme like the Diplomatic branch then there's a final selection board, which involves two roleplay exercises and an interview.

From starting the application to day 1 of the job can be about 14 months altogether (a lot of which is the time spent doing the security vetting process.)

They don't really care too much about whether you have existing language skills - if you need a language for a posting you'll be trained in it. I hadn't studied a foreign language since GCSE German, someone else in my intake was fluent in Mandarin and Japanese, so there's quite a spread.
Original post by laridum
Really interested in the Diplomatic Service even though it's a long shot. Especially r.e. numerical tests but I might as well give it a shot.

The numerical test is not too tricky, and you don't need to score amazingly to pass. If you want to revise for it I found ratios and percentages to be the most useful bits of math to brush up on.
Reply 19
Original post by ManifoldManifest
The numerical test is not too tricky, and you don't need to score amazingly to pass. If you want to revise for it I found ratios and percentages to be the most useful bits of math to brush up on.

Thanks. There's probably a Maths for Dummies book or site for kids I can look at I guess.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending