The Student Room Group

Our kids refused time off school during term time - please advice

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Reue
Regardless; my thoughts remain that a decent family holiday is more beneficial to the child's development than the week they'd miss at school. I struggle to believe that missing a week of school has any measureable effect in 99% of cases.

They can have a 'decent family holiday' in the half term or any of the other holiday weeks throughout the year, just like every other child is expected to do. Why should they be treated any differently?

The OP hasn't said what they are/were planning on doing while in India and why the added week would add any benefit to their kids, or how old their children are. It's just possible that, because the OP was in a position to book a family trip to India quickly and at just a couple of months' notice, that they have family out there already. In which case the supposed 'educational benefit' to the kids would be minimal.
Reply 41
Everyone knows this holiday absence thing is a racket for holiday companies provided their MP chums. It's a bit of a joke really. The prices literally double from term-time to school holidays because of the massive legally mandated demand increase. The quicker this law is ousted the better but given the government composition it's not going to be in this term.
Original post by Wattsy
Everyone knows this holiday absence thing is a racket for holiday companies provided their MP chums. It's a bit of a joke really. The prices literally double from term-time to school holidays because of the massive legally mandated demand increase. The quicker this law is ousted the better but given the government composition it's not going to be in this term.

Yes, it sucks if you're parents having to pay a bit more, but I really can't see how you think it's anything to do with this (or any other) government? It's basic supply and demand.
Original post by geek84
Hi Folks

My wife and I are planning to go on a 2 week holiday to India with our twin children, in late October this year. The two weeks would be made up of the one week half term holiday plus the week after. So in reality, they would only be missing 5 school days. Going to India in late October is very popular and the travel agent advised us to book the holidays asap since it would have been very difficult to book a reservation after the month of May. We booked our tickets in mid May. We do know that it is difficult to get reservations for late October, if you inquire about them in June - so the travel agent wasn't telling us any false information.

Anyway, before booking, we rang the school, and the receptionist said there shouldn't be much of a problem with getting time off school, since it would only be 5 days. She said, when making the decision, the school mostly look at grades achieved so far and the attendance record of the child. Both our kids have satisfactory results in the school work and have almost 100% attendance record. She also stated that we need to give definite dates for our holidays, so both my wife and I decided to book the holidays before giving in the kids school holiday forms.

After booking and paying for the tickets, we gave in the holiday forms for the children to school. However, today we received a letter from the school stating that they would not allow the kids time off school !!

Both my wife and I are very upset about this, since we were hoping that our kids would be allowed time off school, especially after speaking to the receptionist, and it is now very likely we will not get the money back from the travel agent either !

Would this be the end of the matter or can we take things further i.e. appeal again the decision?

Any advice offered would be greatly appreciated.

I've popped this in the Parent Room forum for you as you should get some replies from other parents here :smile: :yy:
Just go on the holiday and pay the fine.
Original post by Zarek
It gives schools additional administration, undermines the importance of education, sets a unrealistic expectation of doing your own thing and adversely affects children's achievement. Undoubtedly everyone that wants to do this believes their kids are 2 years ahead in the national curriculum and that an education trip is the icing on the cake but I don't imagine that's the case and school holidays are after all pretty liberal.

Absolutely correct.

A lot also depends on the age of the students. There is no way that any holiday could be acceptable during an examination year. Students can't write 'I missed this lesson' on an exam paper to be exempt.
This is your kids' future, if you want the best for them, and I'm sure you do, make sure you tell the school you'll take the fine and collect the work they would have been doing from their teachers before you go.
Original post by Muttley79
Why is it ridiculous?

It's annoying that parents think they have a right to miss lessons and then they want help for their children to catch up when they get back from a holiday!

No one said anything about expecting help. I myself skipped a couple days of school in a row a few times this school term (due to overseas interviews and health issues) and did not expect any help when I came back. I came back to school, got the homework I missed from my teachers, and caught up on everything on my own.

Please don't act righteous when no one has even brought up what you are talking about.

Posted from TSR Mobile
God but there are some pompous ***** on here. Going to India sounds wonderful and I wish I'd had the chance as a child. Bugger the school, have a wonderful time.
Reply 48
Original post by Duncan2012
Yes, it sucks if you're parents having to pay a bit more, but I really can't see how you think it's anything to do with this (or any other) government? It's basic supply and demand.

Because when I was in school up until Y10 you could take a holiday form to authorise absence from school for holiday if you had over 95% attendance and good attainment. That was school policy. Government policy now prevents this and thus people are pushed into holidaying in the school holidays rather than having more flexibility.
are you Indian yourself? Because if you are then you could just tell the school that you want your children to learn about where they come from and the background of their ancestors! My friend did this and the school were fine with it as they deem it as an educational trip. Definitely do not cancel your holiday!
Reply 50

It's annoying that parents think they have a right to miss lessons and then they want help for their children to catch up when they get back from a holiday!

You're annoying. That'll be £60, ta.
what is missing from this is the age of the children. I took my child out of school for holidays in primary school, They still had the highest attendance rate of any child in their year, the school didnt recognise their ability so didn't educate them properly (wish I had home schooled but an only chiild needs company), despite that and the school's refusal to tell me what work other children were doing (note no request for work to be given just what bits of the syllabus I should cover) my child is now at Cambridge so it didn't do their education any harm. Different times so our absences were reluctantly authorised but I'd take them out again and pay the fines.

At secondary school I would only take them out at the end of term. If schools can tke them out for supposedly "educational" trips to theme parks I can take them to look at Mayan ruins in Mexico - when we weren't playing on a beach. A lot of hypocrisy from schools about taking children out.
Original post by geek84
Hi Folks

My wife and I are planning to go on a 2 week holiday to India with our twin children, in late October this year. The two weeks would be made up of the one week half term holiday plus the week after. So in reality, they would only be missing 5 school days. Going to India in late October is very popular and the travel agent advised us to book the holidays asap since it would have been very difficult to book a reservation after the month of May. We booked our tickets in mid May. We do know that it is difficult to get reservations for late October, if you inquire about them in June - so the travel agent wasn't telling us any false information.

Anyway, before booking, we rang the school, and the receptionist said there shouldn't be much of a problem with getting time off school, since it would only be 5 days. She said, when making the decision, the school mostly look at grades achieved so far and the attendance record of the child. Both our kids have satisfactory results in the school work and have almost 100% attendance record. She also stated that we need to give definite dates for our holidays, so both my wife and I decided to book the holidays before giving in the kids school holiday forms.

After booking and paying for the tickets, we gave in the holiday forms for the children to school. However, today we received a letter from the school stating that they would not allow the kids time off school !!

Both my wife and I are very upset about this, since we were hoping that our kids would be allowed time off school, especially after speaking to the receptionist, and it is now very likely we will not get the money back from the travel agent either !

Would this be the end of the matter or can we take things further i.e. appeal again the decision?

Any advice offered would be greatly appreciated.

Just pay the fine that they give you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 53
Just generally, not specific to the OP, but all this has got totally out of hand. Many of these policies and issues have come to light and got progressively worse since the advent of School League Tables.

Sure the "good old days" weren't perfect but we've got to the point now where rules are much too intrusive and strident. Common sense and discretion seems to have totally flown out of the window. We have everything now from sandwich box Nazis, the wrong trousers and unauthorised absense Oh yeah let's not forget health and safety. Now I'm neither a fossil nor an anarchist (my youngest child only left school a couple of years ago) but it seems to me that schools are terrified of looking bad on a data sheet. I don't actually blame the teachers they've just got to impose this nonsense and in terms of the curriculum have to be more rigid and have less time to show any flair and depth to subjects.

Since my sons started school regulations and red tape seem to have got tighter and worse and I'm just glad they are not starting out now. If they were starting out now I'd be tempted to home school. I have a friend who has preschool twins and she is seriously considering home schooling, some years ago I'd have thought her stance somewhat eccentic and ott, not these days though.
Reply 54
Original post by OU Student
Agreed. Teachers don't have time (and nor should they) to help teach the children catch up who missed the work because they were on holiday.

Is that fair on the children who don't want anything from the teacher? I can easily catch up on a month of school work over a weekend or two, just because others can't, does that really mean I should be penalised and not allowed to take a few weeks off school if it really does not make much of a difference to me but might to others?

Would it not be fair to decide on a case-by-case basis, if a student has good grades and excels academically, should said student not be allowed to take leave?
Reply 55
You can have a 'decent family holiday' in the school holidays ... the attitude 'they won't miss anything' is crazy as some ideas only appear once in the curriculum. I missed a week for uni interviews and they covered perms and combs - I've never liked that topic since and it was only when I started teaching it that I understood it properly.

I missed two weeks where my maths class had pretty much covered the whole of complex numbers, it took me all of one afternoon to get myself not only up to what they'd covered but much much further than that.

In most schools, students are held back by the rather slow pace of the class, what they miss is content that can easily be caught up in 1/10th of the time taken to cover it in school.
If they're only young kids then it doesn't make the slightest difference. Your allowed 10 days anyway so there should be no problem

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by thirdcultureteen
No one said anything about expecting help. I myself skipped a couple days of school in a row a few times this school term (due to overseas interviews and health issues) and did not expect any help when I came back. I came back to school, got the homework I missed from my teachers, and caught up on everything on my own.

Please don't act righteous when no one has even brought up what you are talking about.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Health issues are completely different.
Personally, I think you should take your holiday and ignore the advice of the school.

I was given the whole 'you're missing the most important week of the year as we are finishing so and so' so I put provisions in place to finish the work before I left, and that was that.

Don't let them push you into any financial repercussions in relation to your holiday, but you may have to pay school fines though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by chloetay15
are you Indian yourself? Because if you are then you could just tell the school that you want your children to learn about where they come from and the background of their ancestors! My friend did this and the school were fine with it as they deem it as an educational trip. Definitely do not cancel your holiday!

Seems logical

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending