The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
ILoveComplexNumbers
Went pretty good but not as well as the past papers (though exams rarely do). Wasn't perfect though. But apparently you only need 70% raw for a 80UMS score on C3 so that should work in our favour.

I think in the one from last june, 55/72 = 80UMS. I'm not 100% sure though. I prefer your way
Reply 21
The triangle question...
Length AQ i put AQ = 3 - y
The used pythagoras for the next part
part ii) i didnt know what i was supposed to be differentiating lol
iii) i think i got dy/dt = 1.6
Reply 22
WelshMe
The triangle question...
Length AQ i put AQ = 3 - y
The used pythagoras for the next part
part ii) i didnt know what i was supposed to be differentiating lol
iii) i think i got dy/dt = 1.6

I did the first part wrong, however I was able to differente and I got 1.6 as well.... well I got 8/5

Edit, the coursework that we did, is going to be added to this exam right?
Reply 23
i suppose it could have been worse . . .

Q1 and 6 completely threw me. I think people either got the OAP triangle thing, or they didn't have a clue (like me :frown: ) Though in the last 5 minutes I scribbled something down for 6ii and 6iii, so hopefully i scraped up a few marks.

Strangely I found section A a lot easier than section B, which has never happened before. But I revised up on trig so much, and I don't think there was a single question on it!
Reply 24
Yeah, so you could have bagged 20% right there.
Yea, the coursework is added to this exam.
Reply 26
Yep that's right, do you know what weighting it has though? I did well in the coursework which I hope will boost me a little.
Reply 27
I thought it was quite hard, harder than the past papers I've done. Had no idea about Question 6 really. I think I did okay though...and I was surprised at the identical (or just nearly?) question from a past paper, haha.
Reply 28
reee
I did the first part wrong, however I was able to differente and I got 1.6 as well.... well I got 8/5

Edit, the coursework that we did, is going to be added to this exam right?

the corsework is 20% and the exam is 80% i think.

I can't remember the answer I got for 6 iii) but i remeber dividing by 2.5, hopefully it was 4!
Reply 29
I got really stuck on the first question then think I worked it out at the end. Think you first work out the equation of the line off P that went through Q which was y=-x+3 (if I remember rightly). Then equate this with y=x to find the point where they cross:

x = -x + 3
2x = 3
x = 2/3
And because it's on the line y=x, the y coordinate was also 2/3.

Don't think I did amazingly overall though, so its good to know the c/w is included.

-Will
Reply 30
I kept getting x=5/4 :frown: I squared both sides...was that wrong?
lemonadeX
I got really stuck on the first question then think I worked it out at the end. Think you first work out the equation of the line off P that went through Q which was y=-x+3 (if I remember rightly). Then equate this with y=x to find the point where they cross:

x = -x + 3
2x = 3
x = 2/3
And because it's on the line y=x, the y coordinate was also 2/3.
-Will

That's what I did; but surely 2x = 3 means that x = 3/2 not 2/3? And it asked you to get 1.5.
Reply 32
3/2 is 1.5 :wink: Got me worried for a minute.
Reply 33
lemonadeX
3/2 is 1.5 :wink: Got me worried for a minute.

what did everyone put for the domain and range in one of the questions xD
Reply 34
Questions 6 was a bit tricky. I got stuck on one of the earlier sections but did the implicite differentiation okay. The rest of the paper was a bit confusing in places. Hopefully I did okay and get 80 UMS to add to my 275 from AS.

I am right for question four that the answer was just:

1^2 = 1
2^2 = 4
3^2 = 9
. . . .
9^2 = 81
10^2 = 100 - last one since not 1 or 2 digits.

None end it 2 or whatever the other numbers where.

Generalistaion: No perfect squares end with a 2, x, y, z

???

I got a really good score for the coursework before moderation so hopefully that will help me.

I know where I made one stupid mistake though. 2 * 4/5 is not equal to 8/10 :shot:
Reply 35
Pfft..glad to hear some of you found it ok.

To be honest Section A was tough. I couldn't do the intergration by parts Q(i think it was Q 3 or 4) - i just couldnt simplify it. If only i could turn back time..

I got 15/18 on the coursework so i wonder how it will work out.

Oh and question 1, i did the first bit and the next bit where it said show Q x co-ord is 3/2 i kept on ending up with something like x=-x+something so the x's would disapear...

I hope i do better in June

When are results out?
Reply 36
Yeh for the first question i kept getting x=-x +1 so the x's cancelled out lol.
Regarding the ranges, i think for one i did x is greater than or equal -1. The later on i put -1 less than or equal to x less than or equal to infinity. Hope that was right?!
Reply 37
WelshMe
Yeh for the first question i kept getting x=-x +1 so the x's cancelled out lol.
Regarding the ranges, i think for one i did x is greater than or equal -1. The later on i put -1 less than or equal to x less than or equal to infinity. Hope that was right?!

For question 1, I think u should do it like this, well I hope that

-(x-2)+1=x
-x+2+1=x
-x-x=-3
-2x=-3
x=-3/-2 >> 1.5 is that right? xD

Regarding the domain I put x>-1 not sure abut it, and I didn't know the range, only one mark each anyway.
Reply 38
reee
Regarding the domain I put x>-1 not sure abut it, and I didn't know the range, only one mark each anyway.

I also got x is greater than or equal to -1. For the range I got something like y is greater than or equal to -2(1/3)^3/2. I don't have a clue if that's right though.
Reply 39
Mig
I also got x is greater than or equal to -1. For the range I got something like y is greater than or equal to -2(1/3)^3/2. I don't have a clue if that's right though.

If I didn't put greater than or equal to , I won't get the mark right? Too bad, mistakes like this really put u down

Latest