The Student Room Group

WJEC French FN4 - Mon 15 Jun

Scroll to see replies

Pretty good paper IMHO

The listening was the worst part of it, I must have spent 25 minutes on it.

The readings were both good. I feel I got most of the marks correct for them.

The translation was ridiculously easy. Although there were a few traps such as the fact that in the folder it said "migrant" whereas in the translation it said "immigrants". I imagine little things like that caught people out.

The essay questions for Le Grand Voyage were both decent. I opted for the religion and culture question and felt I did well at the time, but now I am not so confident. I included a lot of good vocabulary and grammar and used every tense except for the imperfect. My worry is that I didn't discuss the importance of them enough, although now that I think about it the question said "analyse the importance" so I guess saying how important they are is enough?
What was the answer for the second article about "apart from collecting waste, what does the organisation do"?
Original post by moni.cc.c
What was the answer for the second article about "apart from collecting waste, what does the organisation do"?

I thought it was making others aware of the problems...'sensibiliser' in this context meaning 'to make aware' but I could be wrong??
Guys I went quite a bit over the word count (like 465...) how much do you think it'll affect my mark and will they stop reading after 440...?? Because my conclusion was like my favourite paragraph :erm:
I enjoyed the translation and I liked the essay question but I found the readings not so nice and probably lost a load of marks there :frown:
Original post by OkazakiTomoya
Pretty good paper IMHO

The listening was the worst part of it, I must have spent 25 minutes on it.

The readings were both good. I feel I got most of the marks correct for them.

The translation was ridiculously easy. Although there were a few traps such as the fact that in the folder it said "migrant" whereas in the translation it said "immigrants". I imagine little things like that caught people out.

The essay questions for Le Grand Voyage were both decent. I opted for the religion and culture question and felt I did well at the time, but now I am not so confident. I included a lot of good vocabulary and grammar and used every tense except for the imperfect. My worry is that I didn't discuss the importance of them enough, although now that I think about it the question said "analyse the importance" so I guess saying how important they are is enough?

What did you write about?

I wrote a load of ****

How the film was based on fighting the stereotypes of Islam

Talked about arabic being language of Islamic culture and how father uses it to show affection cos he thinks if he speaks in Arabic, reda will be religious, and lead a happy life

Perceptions of Islam changed with Mustapha

Used as a tool to highlight the gap between the generations
Original post by L'Evil Fish
What did you write about?

I wrote a load of ****

How the film was based on fighting the stereotypes of Islam

Talked about arabic being language of Islamic culture and how father uses it to show affection cos he thinks if he speaks in Arabic, reda will be religious, and lead a happy life

Perceptions of Islam changed with Mustapha

Used as a tool to highlight the gap between the generations
Mine seems quite simple after hearing yours

I wrote about how religion is obviously important since it is the reason they are going on the journey to mecca, since a muslim has to travel there at least once in their life in accordance with the Hajj.

I then mentioned the beggars since giving money to those in need is one of the five pillars of Islam.

I then spoke about language (arabic) and the scene at the French-Italian border where the dad must pray even though he is inconveniencing others.

Then I made a brief point about the seven deadly sins, more specifically lust in the scene with Réda and the dancer.

I then talked about how part of the film was filmed in Mecca which reflects both religion and Islamic culture

Then it was my conclusion, where I basically summed up my previous points and said that religion is very important in the grand voyage.
Original post by OkazakiTomoya
Mine seems quite simple after hearing yours

I wrote about how religion is obviously important since it is the reason they are going on the journey to mecca, since a muslim has to travel there at least once in their life in accordance with the Hajj.

I then mentioned the beggars since giving money to those in need is one of the five pillars of Islam.

I then spoke about language (arabic) and the scene at the French-Italian border where the dad must pray even though he is inconveniencing others.

Then I made a brief point about the seven deadly sins, more specifically lust in the scene with Réda and the dancer.

I then talked about how part of the film was filmed in Mecca which reflects both religion and Islamic culture

Then it was my conclusion, where I basically summed up my previous points and said that religion is very important in the grand voyage.

Yeah I wrote about the plot just depending on it because it was hajj. And charity and how that caused conflict

But I don't think I'll score very well, because it had so many points, but word limit meant I couldn't develop them

Ah nice! I saw the les Choristes ones and I was like nah, I'll go with this one

Nearly gave the teacher a heart attack when I told her
Yeah I wrote about the plot just depending on it because it was hajj. And charity and how that caused conflict

But I don't think I'll score very well, because it had so many points, but word limit meant I couldn't develop them

Ah nice! I saw the les Choristes ones and I was like nah, I'll go with this one

Nearly gave the teacher a heart attack when I told her
Yeah, I had a real issue when it came to the word limit. I think I should have left out a few points and expanded on some of my others a bit more, but there's no point in thinking about that type of thing now.
A bit disappointed that the translation was almost a copy of the text..
Id been trying hard with practise translations, and now boundaries are bound to be high!
Well the translation, essay and most of the reading/listening all went ok I guess. :h: I didn't really like the second reading though. Glad that long 3 hours is over! I always feel like the reading/listening/writing is the French 'endurance' test, whereas the speaking is more like the French 'reaction' test, haha.
Reply 91
what do you think the grade boundaries will be for an A and an a*?
Reply 92
can anyone share what they wrote for the reading section.
Did anyone do les choriste- rachin et mathieu question
Original post by llik
can anyone share what they wrote for the reading section.
Did anyone do les choriste- rachin et mathieu question

For the first reading ir second?
For first one my answers in eng were
1. They blocked the port or something (what it said on the translation)
2. Wont leave until they are allowed in Britain
3. Hunger strike
4. The poor conditions in france and how negatively they welcome immigrants
5. They ask to investigate their case
For the first reading ir second?
For first one my answers in eng were
1. They blocked the port or something (what it said on the translation)
2. Wont leave until they are allowed in Britain
3. Hunger strike
4. The poor conditions in france and how negatively they welcome immigrants
5. They ask to investigate their case

Woo I got those

Couldn't do any of the French however...
Woo I got those

Couldn't do any of the French however...

Yay! Lets hope we're right! I dont remember any of the french section just something I wrote about there being a pregnant woman and that they were outside in poor conditions (all I remember)... For the listening, what 2 reasons did u put down for the fact that the woman supported the idea?
Yay! Lets hope we're right! I dont remember any of the french section just something I wrote about there being a pregnant woman and that they were outside in poor conditions (all I remember)... For the listening, what 2 reasons did u put down for the fact that the woman supported the idea?

Lol I said decrease in deaths
Decrease in injuries, less accidents
Lol I said decrease in deaths
Decrease in injuries, less accidents

Ok haha good same!
I wonder if this paper was relatively easy because of the reforms to A-Level MFL or not.
Reply 99
anyone got a copy of the paper/or a photo of it, curious whether I remembered to use the subjunctive in the translation

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending