The Student Room Group

What Does Being Weird Mean

if no one is normal
These days when people think weird they think quirky, unique. Kinda like that lady from New Girl.

Although weird sometimes is used to descirbe a behavior that isn't expected or outside the norm.
How can our eyes be real if mirrors aren't real?
Reply 3
Original post by Jibola240
These days when people think weird they think quirky, unique. Kinda like that lady from New Girl.

Although weird sometimes is used to descirbe a behavior that isn't expected or outside the norm.

What is the norm
Original post by ChickenMadness

Reply 5
Original post by ChickenMadness

are your eyes real
Original post by K.C
if no one is normal

Who said no one's normal? What we all do decides the norm. Today's norm might not be tomorrow's.

Anyway OP well normal means what happens all the time or what you see.
Weird is like

ok
so if everyone wore like white robes everyday around town and bonnets and never seen anyone wear anything else

and then some guy comes in with purple robes and a jester hat

he would be weird.

not because purple or jester hats are bad

but because no one does that.

so in our society
if everyone like laughs at something and this one person is like :erm: all the time he could be considered weird.
ore if everyone wears like shoes on our feet (we do) and then this one prat comes in a shop barefoot we'd be like weird.
If we're at the beach barefoot though and this prat is wearing trainers, we'd laugh and then be like weird.
If everyone talks and this one person decides to never speak or to write everything they say, we'd be like weird.
If everyone is in our head's office and being professional and this one person comes in loud talking about the sex they had, we'd be like weird to say the least.
It's all about what everyone seems to do and this person who doesn't do what the majority of people in the environment do, or look how the majority looks, or talks, etc. they are weird. It's not bad. It's what's uncommon.
Reply 7
Weird can be a good thing too. Its great not to be the same as everyone else, not a conformist, but to be unique and different and to see things in a different perspective. People think im weird because i love steampunk clothes, i have blue hair and im autistic. Sometimes being autistic can be a pain as neurotypical people dont understand me and i dont get jokes or sarcasm and my social skills are crap and i often offend people when i answer truthfully, if my friend asks if she looks fat i say yes, i speak before i think often and i can be opinionated and rigid in my ways or beliefs but most of the time being autistic is great. I like being different, i like the fact i can concentrate for hours on a specific topic and i can see things differently to other people, which has been helpful in philosophy.
Reply 8
Weird is a reflection on how others perceive you. If they see you as odd, strange, oddly funny or different, then they might call you weird. It's completely arbitrary and usually means nothing.
Reply 9
Stop trying to be clever and twisting the meaning of "weird". Weird doesn't mean '"different" in this context, weird means someone who is awkward, lacking in social skills, and is an outsider to most of the main social groups.

Quick Reply

Latest