The Student Room Group

Work policy for international students in scotland

Scotland recently announced that international students can work for 2 years in scotland after completing their ug or pg programme?Along with 1 year to get a job.Now Wales,Ireland and england are going to bring similar options/Do you think they are actually gonna do it??
Leanne Wood, the leader of Plaid Cymru had spoken about introducing post study work visas for international students during the General election debates. I think Wales would personally benefit by opting for it since there are many areas where there are skills shortages in Wales. But Westminster would try to oppose this since it'll affect the tory government's (failed) reputation of controlling immigration. I don't think Scotland have implemented PSW yet, have they? Heard that they will restart the Fresh talent work scheme again if Westminster opposes them.
Reply 2
Original post by MechanicalManiac
Leanne Wood, the leader of Plaid Cymru had spoken about introducing post study work visas for international students during the General election debates. I think Wales would personally benefit by opting for it since there are many areas where there are skills shortages in Wales. But Westminster would try to oppose this since it'll affect the tory government's (failed) reputation of controlling immigration. I don't think Scotland have implemented PSW yet, have they? Heard that they will restart the Fresh talent work scheme again if Westminster opposes them.

Skilled workers are really needed,hence cutoffs for cardiif,Swansea,Cardiff met and bsngor are down by 5% for indian students for UG and 3% for PG
The UK government is actually thinking of decreasing its reliance on foreign workers and there are going to be drastic reforms in immigration laws for non-EU migrants. And not really, I'm a Cardiff applicant and Cardiff being a Russell group university have succeeded in maintaining their standards. And well, in case of Uk nationals, yeah, many have stopped applying to unis because of high tuition fees.
Original post by jontyfernz
Skilled workers are really needed,hence cutoffs for cardiif,Swansea,Cardiff met and bsngor are down by 5% for indian students for UG and 3% for PG

Where did you get these stats from anyway?
Reply 5
Where did you get these stats from anyway?

Met their representatives in an education fair and they told me this.Maybe the entry requirements could have decreased for the entire course itself,but i had seen the site of cardiff in 2014,the requirmeng for bsc computer science at Cardiff was 85 and now it is 80%.
Original post by jontyfernz
Met their representatives in an education fair and they told me this.Maybe the entry requirements could have decreased for the entire course itself,but i had seen the site of cardiff in 2014,the requirmeng for bsc computer science at Cardiff was 85 and now it is 80%.

Post study immigration laws coupled with high exchange rates have resulted in less international students applying to study in the UK. And I reckon unis near Silicon Valley in California, USA are the best places to study computer science. International students mostly opt for the US to study Computer Science.
Reply 7
Post study immigration laws coupled with high exchange rates have resulted in less international students applying to study in the UK. And I reckon unis near Silicon Valley in California, USA are the best places to study computer science. International students mostly opt for the US to study Computer Science.

Yeah MIT,Boston,Alabama,USC,UNLV,UCLA, etc are great for computer science

Quick Reply