The Student Room Group

Obese benefit claimants should be made to run 20 mins on a treadmill before payment?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Bill_Gates
lol obviously the calculations still need to be done and you made these assumptions based on a torch? nice. Depends on the setting of the treadmill, will make a fully fledged gym brah.

Calculations aren't needed. The power needed to run an office is several orders of magnitude bigger than the power you'd get out of a treadmill.

1. Highly practical

No. Apart from having no economic benefit it would be a nightmare to keep the treadmills in good shape, and to provide adequate facilities for job-seekers to go on a 20 minute jog. Pretty much the only advantage it might have is helping keep people occupied while they wait for the always-inevitable backlog, because no government system is complete without a half hour delay on every single appointment.

2. Easily enforceable when free government money is on the line

No. All someone has to do is say they've got a bad back and they're immediately cushioned up in a figurative mountain of red tape. Health and safety bureaucracy will never allow this to work.
Original post by Dez
Calculations aren't needed. The power needed to run an office is several orders of magnitude bigger than the power you'd get out of a treadmill.

No. Apart from having no economic benefit it would be a nightmare to keep the treadmills in good shape, and to provide adequate facilities for job-seekers to go on a 20 minute jog. Pretty much the only advantage it might have is helping keep people occupied while they wait for the always-inevitable backlog, because no government system is complete without a half hour delay on every single appointment.

No. All someone has to do is say they've got a bad back and they're immediately cushioned up in a figurative mountain of red tape. Health and safety bureaucracy will never allow this to work.

1. Would depend on the number of overweight claimants, how many treadmills we can get a hold of etc.
2. Not really, keeping treadmills in good shape is pretty easy. Will sell off the contract to a gym brah. Long term savings for the NHS will be enormous and the drop in claimants.
3. Bureaucracy is no problem.
Reply 22
1. Would depend on the number of overweight claimants, how many treadmills we can get a hold of etc.
2. Not really, keeping treadmills in good shape is pretty easy. Will sell off the contract to a gym brah. Long term savings for the NHS will be enormous and the drop in claimants.

1. Even if you filled every Job Centre wall-to-wall with treadmills you still wouldn't get enough power.

2. "Pretty easy" for who exactly? I doubt many Job Centre workers know how to maintain gym equipment. Also given the small fraction of people who claim JSA, and the smaller fraction of those that are obese, chances are there would be very little impact to either the NHS budget or number of claimants.

3. Are you living in cloud cuckoo-land?

Are you being deliberately stupid?
What have I just read? :erm:
can see i have a lot of backlash from overweight TSR members, i understand your criticisms but stick with me. I will build a new BIG society with you in mind.
80% of JSA claimants are of benefits within 6 months. I hate the fact that people can see ten lazy people living on benefits on tv and assume benefits are a bad thing. Broaden your horizon.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Will the largest groups of benefit claimants (pensioners and in work parents) be included in this. Or is it just an attempt to demonise a small group of people while ignoring the largest benefits pots.

Actually given most children give their parents child benefit why not just set up treadmills in all schools...
Even discounting the major problem here of some people being ill, the fact that I'm fairly fit and swim and cycle regularly but couldn't run for more than about 10 seconds without a knee giving way underneath me, therefore making me unfit for many jobs - because of the impact...

Treadmills use energy. The belt moves itself, that's why it doesn't stop if you jump to the side for a rest.
Cycling, rowing or cross trainer, that could work, but treadmills shows how little thought went into this.
Original post by minimarshmallow
Even discounting the major problem here of some people being ill, the fact that I'm fairly fit and swim and cycle regularly but couldn't run for more than about 10 seconds without a knee giving way underneath me, therefore making me unfit for many jobs - because of the impact...

Treadmills use energy. The belt moves itself, that's why it doesn't stop if you jump to the side for a rest.
Cycling, rowing or cross trainer, that could work, but treadmills shows how little thought went into this.

well we are building a gym overall

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2430771/Worlds-self-powering-gym-uses-energy-WORKOUT-lights-dont-break.html
Reply 30
Oh just sod off.
Also, will I be allowed to warm up, or do I have to go straight into heavy and high impact exercise? Because I see your NHS and ESA bills going up by way more than the JSA bill will go down. Especially the electricity bill, maintenance and initial cost of the treadmills.

Honestly.
*sighs*
Also, will I be allowed to warm up, or do I have to go straight into heavy and high impact exercise? Because I see your NHS and ESA bills going up by way more than the JSA bill will go down. Especially the electricity bill, maintenance and initial cost of the treadmills.

Honestly.
*sighs*

Hahaha well said!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Now giving people on benefits free access to a gym that would be largely self powering and only need staff, maintenance and initial outlay would be nice, but not expensive and wouldn't demonise the obese like you'd like.

Things like this rely on the cross trainers, steppers, bikes, rowing machines being self-powering - maybe getting a bit of that back to power a battery. You could get some of the weight machines that are tightening bands to harness some energy too, but a treadmill needs to be plugged in.
Now giving people on benefits free access to a gym that would be largely self powering and only need staff, maintenance and initial outlay would be nice, but not expensive and wouldn't demonise the obese like you'd like.

Things like this rely on the cross trainers, steppers, bikes, rowing machines being self-powering - maybe getting a bit of that back to power a battery. You could get some of the weight machines that are tightening bands to harness some energy too, but a treadmill needs to be plugged in.

lol they won't go by themselves, it hasn't solved the obesity crisis through offering free gym membership etc.

My strategy would work and guarantee results in the right direction.
lol they won't go by themselves, it hasn't solved the obesity crisis through offering free gym membership etc.

My strategy would work and guarantee results in the right direction.

I would have loved a free gym membership when I was unemployed! Nobody ever offered it to me.

It won't work. It will cost so much money, and result in additional injuries paid for by the NHS, and more people having to claim temporary ESA because they're too injured to work (such as me, I'd be on the sick if I had to run for more than 10 seconds, because my knees would give way underneath me).
I would have loved a free gym membership when I was unemployed! Nobody ever offered it to me.

It won't work. It will cost so much money, and result in additional injuries paid for by the NHS, and more people having to claim temporary ESA because they're too injured to work (such as me, I'd be on the sick if I had to run for more than 10 seconds, because my knees would give way underneath me).

We had the scheme run in my local area, some people took it up. But they gave up on their second visit to the gym. Although swimming was quite popular.

Maybe i should re-think my strategy to offer a lower sum in general for those that don't do it and a higher sum for those that do it. Creating good incentives, obviously if you have a genuine disability/illness then you won't be put on the scheme.
Will also have anyone signing up to sign a declaration whereby the government is not liable for injuries.
We had the scheme run in my local area, some people took it up. But they gave up on their second visit to the gym. Although swimming was quite popular.

Maybe i should re-think my strategy to offer a lower sum in general for those that don't do it and a higher sum for those that do it. Creating good incentives, obviously if you have a genuine disability/illness then you won't be put on the scheme.
Will also have anyone signing up to sign a declaration whereby the government is not liable for injuries.

Except that the government will be liable for injuries, because the government are saying "Run or starve in the cold, in the dark, and in your own filth".
I think we should do this and then broadcast it live-it would be effing amusing.
Original post by cleverasvoltaire
I think we should do this and then broadcast it live-it would be effing amusing.

Why don't we just put benefit claimants in a gladiator ring and let them fight it out?

Or set up The Hunger Games - we even have an example to work from.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending