The Student Room Group

Obese benefit claimants should be made to run 20 mins on a treadmill before payment?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by minimarshmallow
Why don't we just put benefit claimants in a gladiator ring and let them fight it out?

Or set up The Hunger Games - we even have an example to work from.

Getting fatties to go on a treadmill is slightly different to asking people to fight each other in gladiatorial battle. Way to strawman an argument.
Except that the government will be liable for injuries, because the government are saying "Run or starve in the cold, in the dark, and in your own filth".

like i just said we would have two tiers of payment, so no it won't be forced. But doing it for YOUR own good.

Original post by cleverasvoltaire
I think we should do this and then broadcast it live-it would be effing amusing.

Another possible revenue stream i guess.
Original post by Bill_Gates
like i just said we would have two tiers of payment, so no it won't be forced. But doing it for YOUR own good.

Another possible revenue stream i guess.

Also voluntary gladiatorial battles as suggested by the other person you quoted.
Getting fatties to go on a treadmill is slightly different to asking people to fight each other in gladiatorial battle. Way to strawman an argument.

Getting 'fatties' to do something that is not only possible but given it's 20 minutes of high impact exercise, seemingly with no warm up, is probable to get them hurt - maybe just soft tissue injuries but also long term knee problems, back issues, neck issues, could raise their heart rate and cause problems there - while also making them sign away your liability for said injuries while broadcasting it for ****s and giggles is not that dissimilar to a gladiator ring, to be honest.

Original post by Bill_Gates

Oh, I'm injuring myself without any recourse on the government, for MY own good?
Yeah, sure.
Original post by OU Student
Do we? Not everyone who is overweight claims because they are overweight. They often have other serious underlying medical conditions.

Yeah it's called an addiction to cake
Getting 'fatties' to do something that is not only possible but given it's 20 minutes of high impact exercise, seemingly with no warm up, is probable to get them hurt - maybe just soft tissue injuries but also long term knee problems, back issues, neck issues, could raise their heart rate and cause problems there - while also making them sign away your liability for said injuries while broadcasting it for ****s and giggles is not that dissimilar to a gladiator ring, to be honest.

Oh, I'm injuring myself without any recourse on the government, for MY own good?
Yeah, sure.

Yep, the injuries incurred doing light exercise (which is what running on a treadmill is) Is very similar to being ripped apart by a large animal or stabbed by a gladius or contus.
I think we should do this and then broadcast it live-it would be effing amusing.

Because exploiting the poor for entertainment in order for them to not be in poverty is a perfectly healthy thing for the goverment to do.
Original post by garfeeled
Because exploiting the poor for entertainment in order for them to not be in poverty is a perfectly healthy thing for the goverment to do.

You've hit the nail on the head! It's not just healthy, it's hilarious!

Yeah, sure.

ok well then take the lower payment and stay overweight? that's the individuals personal choice. We can only create incentives through government policy.
Original post by OU Student
Do we? Not everyone who is overweight claims because they are overweight. They often have other serious underlying medical conditions.

Most often caused by the weight issues...
You've hit the nail on the head! It's not just healthy, it's hilarious!

So how is this supposed to aid anybody. I mean the only "advantage" I can see from this is that it would severely deter overweight people from claiming benefits even if they need it.
Original post by garfeeled
So how is this supposed to aid anybody. I mean the only "advantage" I can see from this is that it would severely deter overweight people from claiming benefits even if they need it.

1. Entertaining
2. Makes them more healthy
3. Less benefits claimed
4. Revenue from electricity and live broadcasting
5. Entertaining
1. Entertaining
2. Makes them more healthy
3. Less benefits claimed
4. Revenue from electricity and live broadcasting
5. Entertaining

Original post by Schrödingers Cat
Yeah it's called an addiction to cake

Hear hear

Thank you right honourable gentlemen.
How to you decide who is obese, considering that most serios amature sportspeople are obese by BMI?
Also static bike would work better than treadmill
Original post by earthworm
How to you decide who is obese, considering that most serios amature sportspeople are obese by BMI?

What the hell, most amateur sports people? I'm an amateur sports person (kinda) and I'm far from obese.

That's incorrect.

Pretty much every sportsperson isn't obese apart from powerlifters and maybe shot put/hammer/disc throwers
Also is this only out of work benifits? What if their benifit claim has nothing to do with wieght? Think u just fattist dawg.
Also static bike would work better than treadmill

Whatever is funniest :wink:
Original post by Schrödingers Cat
That's incorrect.

Pretty much every sportsperson isn't obese apart from powerlifters and maybe shot put/hammer/disc throwers

Phelps is

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending