The Student Room Group

Obese benefit claimants should be made to run 20 mins on a treadmill before payment?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Schrödingers Cat
That's incorrect.

Pretty much every sportsperson isn't obese apart from powerlifters and maybe shot put/hammer/disc throwers

Then what about these? Also rugby and american footballers? 'Most' is a stretch..sorry.
Original post by earthworm
Phelps is

Nope.

His weight is 88kg, he's 1.93m tall.

BMI = 23.6

He's no where near to being obese
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
An Olympic cyclist couldn't power a single toaster, how could an obese person power a whole building?

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/olympic-cyclist-versus-toaster-can-forstemann-toast-a-slice-of-bread-video-175175

it will be a fully fledged gym. Enough to power the lights of the job centre.
Original post by Bill_Gates
Please expand?....................................................

We have tens of thousands overweight claimants.

source?
Original post by ridwan12
source?

outside?
Nope.

His weight is 88kg, he's 1.93m tall.

BMI = 23.6

He's no where near to being obese

Still fatter than me :wink:
Original post by Bill_Gates
outside?

Again source? unless you've counted and surveyed each obese claimant.
Then what about these? Also rugby and american footballers? 'Most' is a stretch..sorry.

Hardly any of these will be classed as obese, some will be classed as overweight but not obese

Still fatter than me :wink:

And a lot buffer :tongue:

And a lot buffer :tongue:

Lol. I know 5x5 isnt getting me to phelps level:frown: my underlying point is that bmi is a crap measure
Lol. I know 5x5 isnt getting me to phelps level:frown: my underlying point is that bmi is a crap measure

Lol, nope it won't

It's a good measure for the average public. Basically good for anyone who doesn't do intense sports
Original post by ridwan12
Again source? unless you've counted and surveyed each obese claimant.

lol messing was on conservatives website.
Lol, nope it won't

It's a good measure for the average public. Basically good for anyone who doesn't do intense sports

Or the very short, or very tall.
Lol, nope it won't

No it's not. It doesn't take into account muscle. It's only meant to be used as a guide.
Original post by OU Student
No it's not. It doesn't take into account muscle. It's only meant to be used as a guide.

As I've said, it's a good guide for anyone who isn't a power lifter or bodybuilder etc...
no.
Original post by Jess_x
no.

>no
>no facts
>no evidence
>no argument
As I've said, it's a good guide for anyone who isn't a power lifter or bodybuilder etc...

And as long as you don't expect the ranges it relates to to have any evidence supporting the "normal" BMI range as being the healthiest - http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/features/why-being-overweight-means-you-live-longer-the-way-scientists-twist-the-facts-10158229.html
Original post by cleverasvoltaire
>no
>no facts
>no evidence
>no argument

I don't need any, the idea is absurd, unfair and impossible to implement!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending