The Student Room Group

PSYA4 - Media

I'm a bit confused as to what the difference is in the Media unit between the social psychological and evolutionary explanations of psychology of celebrity, and the research into intense fandom in terms of celebrity worship?

In a question about celebrity worship, would we be able to use the social psychological and evolutionary explanations, just because a lot of them actually seem to explain celebrity worship rather than just simple attraction to celebrity?

e.g. I have a study included in the social psychological explanations section of by McCutcheon et al. (2002), explaining that deficits in identity lead to individuals attempting to absorb the identity of celebrities, which is addictive. This explains the ways in which the attraction to celebrity becomes more intense.
I feel like this study would go well in a question about celebrity worship?

Or have I completely misread the syllabus, and are the social / evolutionary explanations actually concerning why people want to become celebrities rather than worship them, because a few studies I have relate to that too.

Sorry so many questions but any help would be much appreciated!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending