The Student Room Group

How much input should the father have in deciding on abortion?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Motorbiker
I laugh at people suggesting they should have equal say.

There's two people. If you have a disagreement it's logically impossible to have equal say in whether it happens or not unless you get Schrödingers abortion.

Depends what exactly you mean by "equal say".

Suppose the rule is as follows: The abortion may only take place if both parents agree. Surely in this case, neither the mother nor father is given any more say than the other (at least, not by virtue of their gender anyway).

Of course they can't both get their way if they disagree. But it's still true to say that such a situation neither favours the father nor the mother, and that they're on an equal footing to start with.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 41
Zero input.

I would support a move towards making it more normal to discuss beforehand what will probably happen should the woman get pregnant (contraception being used or not). Everyone knowing where everyone stands to the greatest possible extent in advance is best.

Women are obviously entitled to have a change of heart once they actually find themselves in that situation though, it's not an easy thing to predict, and I still don't support any suggestion I've yet seen to allow the man to back out of his financial obligations to the child that might result.
Original post by tazarooni89

Suppose the rule is as follows: The abortion may only take place if both parents agree. Surely in this case, neither the mother nor father is given any more say than the other (at least, not by virtue of their gender anyway).

Of course they can't both get their way if they disagree. But it's still true to say that such a situation neither favours the father nor the mother, and that they're on an equal footing to start with.

That's not equal say then. That favours the anti abortion crowd.

Using your logic you could say the pregnancy should only take place if both agree, and you then have the opposite results.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 43
Practically, unless he has sone influence over the woman, then I think the answer has to be NO input. It's one of the realities of the baby being part of the woman's body and abortion being legal
Original post by Ronove
Zero input.

I would support a move towards making it more normal to discuss beforehand what will probably happen should the woman get pregnant (contraception being used or not). Everyone knowing where everyone stands to the greatest possible extent in advance is best.

Women are obviously entitled to have a change of heart once they actually find themselves in that situation though, it's not an easy thing to predict, and I still don't support any suggestion I've yet seen to allow the man to back out of his financial obligations to the child that might result.

Why should the man not be able to back out of financial obligations is he has said from week 1 (as soon as the pregnancy is found out about) that he doesn't want it, when if it was the other way round the woman could just abort and not have any responsibility? Seems incredibly unfair especially seeing as the option of abortion IS available to all. I'm not going to say that woman will have the child to spite the father, but once the child born the man can be trapped in a scenario where they're ****ed financially for the rest of their life, that just isn't fair. You hear a LOT of stories where the father is literally having to hand over most of their paycheck to the mother who doesn't work leaving themselves living in poverty due to a child they had no say in aborting in the first place. That just isn't right, it's ****ed up
Original post by tazarooni89

In theory that may sound nice but come on it just isn't fair on the woman if she wants to abort, to FORCE her to carry a baby for 9 months. Plus there would be many MANY situations where the baby's health is put at risk where the mother tries to do anything to abort it (eating poorly, drinking, smoking etc.).
Reply 46
Original post by Ronove
Zero input.

So a woman should be allowed to back out of her motherly responsibilities (aborting the baby, giving it up after its born) but a father shouldn't be able to back out of his?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Motorbiker
That's not equal say then. That favours the anti abortion crowd.

Using your logic you could say the pregnancy should only take place if both agree, and you then have the opposite results.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, the suggestion I gave is in favour of anti-abortion. The one you gave is more in favour of abortion.

However, you could consider it "equal" in the sense that, neither is particularly in favour of the mother or the father. The rule is independent of which parent says what. Mothers and fathers are on an equal footing.
Original post by leinad2012
In theory that may sound nice but come on it just isn't fair on the woman if she wants to abort, to FORCE her to carry a baby for 9 months. Plus there would be many MANY situations where the baby's health is put at risk where the mother tries to do anything to abort it (eating poorly, drinking, smoking etc.).

I'm not suggesting that's what the rule should actually be. I'm just saying it's an example of a rule which is neither in favour of the mother nor the father.

Personally, my attitude in the case of both mothers and fathers is simply "You should have thought about that before conceiving a child then". Their wishes and convenience become second priority, since they chose to take the risk. Unless it was a rape or something like that, nobody forced anyone to conceive a child.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by mmmmmmmmmmmmm
None. Zero. Her body, her choice. The father doesn't carry the baby for 9 months or go through labour. You can't force a woman to carry a baby she doesn't want

Original post by DraftMeteor
I am personally okay with abortion, if the circumstances make it necessary, but as a male I'd hate to have my own child aborted without me agreeing, yet it seems many people that are pro-abortion claim that it is the woman's decision only as it is her body.
(P.S this excludes rape, obviously the father then should be in prison, and have no input whatsoever)

Original post by AdamCee
He should be able to voice his view, talk to her. However have no part in the actual decision, imo

Original post by SmallTownGirl
Her body, her choice. Would you want a partner to have any choice about whether you receive treatment if you have a parasite or tumour?

Also, anyone saying that if the mother has sole choice over abortion then the father shouldn't have to pay child support is ignoring the child's welfare. You are not paying money to the mother, you are supporting a child you helped create. And that child has a right to not be raised in poverty.

Original post by Viva Emptiness
None whatsoever, legally anyway. What exactly is going to happen if the father wants to keep it but the mother doesn't? Nothing, so what's even the point?

The father always ends up funding the woman and child for years into the future and practically works his *** off to support both. Since he will be the financial contributor he has every right to challenge this investment
Original post by Maid Marian
He can give his opinion.:smile: But nothing more than that, it's not his body.

Yet he will work for decades to fund both, he has every right but of course feminists believe all the rights go to women
Original post by The two eds
The father always ends up funding the woman and child for years into the future and practically works his *** off to support both. Since he will be the financial contributor he has every right to challenge this investment

I don't think I said anything about what I think should happen after the kid is born.
Original post by Zargabaath
I agree with this, but men shouldn't be expected to have to support the child if he doesn't want to. Both genders should get equal chances to terminate their role in a pregnancy.

But what if he agrees to support the child when finding out the woman is pregnant, and then right up until the final phase of pregnancy beyond the point of abortion he bails? Or what if he bails shortly after the baby is born?

How is it fair then that he can choose to bail, but the mother obviously can't?
Original post by Twinpeaks
But what if he agrees to support the child when finding out the woman is pregnant, and then right up until the final phase of pregnancy beyond the point of abortion he bails? Or what if he bails shortly after the baby is born?

How is it fair then that he can choose to bail, but the mother obviously can't?

See this:
I think the decision is ultimately up to the woman as she's the one carrying the child, it's harsh but the only realistic option. That being said, I do think that the man should by law be allowed to know and be able to opt out of all financial or legal obligations. So if the mother aborts there's nothing they can do, but if she doesn't i think the following should happen (assuming the man wants the child aborted):There's 2 scenarios, the man is told before the abortion cut off date or after the cut off. If told before the cut off, they should have until the cut off to tell the mother that they wish to abort the child and sign a contract saying they wish the child to be aborted, giving up financial obligations but also any future custody/ legal obligations. If this is not signed until after the cut off, then the burden is on the woman to prove that she told the father of the pregnancy whilst there was still the option to abort. This would stop women being able to not tell the father and still get financial repayment and stop the man getting last minute cold feet.Seems like the only fair and realistic solution tbh.
Original post by Zargabaath
See this:

In theory, I like it! But it's too impractical. How could one go about proving that she informed the man of the pregnancy before the cut off date?
In theory, I like it! But it's too impractical. How could one go about proving that she informed the man of the pregnancy before the cut off date?

I don't think that would be difficult, Facebook messenger, WhatsApp, text, phone logs, record a face to face meeting, it isn't exactly difficult is it?

If the woman can prove she made every approach possible to contact them then it would be easy to side with the mother
I don't think that would be difficult, Facebook messenger, WhatsApp, text, phone logs, record a face to face meeting, it isn't exactly difficult is it?

If the woman can prove she made every approach possible to contact them then it would be easy to side with the mother

So you're relying on social media on a matter such as this, really?
Reply 57
If ot was an unplanned pregnancy then the man should have worn a condom, just to be on safe side as pill doesnt always work. Less risk of pregnancy and unwanted kids. But defo womans choice.
None, but he shouldn't have to pay to support the child if he wished for an abortion but the mother didn't.
So you're relying on social media on a matter such as this, really?

No I'm relying on recorded messaging services that log the date of all conversations, it's already used in many legal battles? For example WhatsApp messages were used in the Pistorious case

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending