The Student Room Group

Irrelevant Work Experience?

For the past year I've been completely focused on applying for Medicine this September, so I got a range of work experience involving caring, and also in clinical environments. However, having completed my AS exams, I don't feel as though I can get the grades that I hoped for in order to study medicine, so I'm thinking of applying for Biomedical Sciences or Biochemistry. Does this mean all of my work experience has been a waste and will be completely irrelevant for my personal statement if applying for these subjects? Or is there a way I can link the work experience to Biochemistry or Biomedical sciences, or is it best that I search for some other work experience more directly relating to it?
hmm... biochemists often work in labs analysing data. But i think that the work experience is still useful as in the medical side things often link together
Reply 2
First of all, stop panicking. Wait until you have your AS results and then reassess your situation. If you can realistically get predicted AAA then stick to medicine, if it's still what you want to do. If that's not going to be possible, then by all means think about biomedical options, but don't give up just yet on the basis of post-exam anxiety.

You could try to get some experience in a lab of some description but that may not be possible everywhere, so maybe do some interesting peripheral reading to develop your understanding of the subjects?
Reply 3
I just talked about how I was seeing the theory/principles of biomedical science coming to life in a hospital environment. When you see doctors or nurses managing a patient by running diagnostic tests, taking urine samples or blood tests, then changing the diet/fluid intake or medicines - these are all things you cover in a lot of details in a biomedical science course.

You spend quite a lot of time, especially in biochemistry modules, learning about the various diagnostic tests and biomarkers to test and what they can mean. So that is definitely one aspect you can discuss.
Original post by Flockyer
For the past year I've been completely focused on applying for Medicine this September, so I got a range of work experience involving caring, and also in clinical environments. However, having completed my AS exams, I don't feel as though I can get the grades that I hoped for in order to study medicine, so I'm thinking of applying for Biomedical Sciences or Biochemistry. Does this mean all of my work experience has been a waste and will be completely irrelevant for my personal statement if applying for these subjects? Or is there a way I can link the work experience to Biochemistry or Biomedical sciences, or is it best that I search for some other work experience more directly relating to it?

Aren't you thinking of applying to medicine in the coming year?
Like taking a gap year or reapply next year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Bloom77
Aren't you thinking of applying to medicine in the coming year?
Like taking a gap year or reapply next year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would love to reapply next year but unfortunately if my grades aren't high enough this year, there isn't any point applying next year. But if they are high enough and I don't get in this year then I would definitely take a gap year and reapply :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by kane92
I just talked about how I was seeing the theory/principles of biomedical science coming to life in a hospital environment. When you see doctors or nurses managing a patient by running diagnostic tests, taking urine samples or blood tests, then changing the diet/fluid intake or medicines - these are all things you cover in a lot of details in a biomedical science course.

You spend quite a lot of time, especially in biochemistry modules, learning about the various diagnostic tests and biomarkers to test and what they can mean. So that is definitely one aspect you can discuss.

This is so helpful, thank you!
Reply 7
Original post by Helenia
First of all, stop panicking. Wait until you have your AS results and then reassess your situation. If you can realistically get predicted AAA then stick to medicine, if it's still what you want to do. If that's not going to be possible, then by all means think about biomedical options, but don't give up just yet on the basis of post-exam anxiety.

You could try to get some experience in a lab of some description but that may not be possible everywhere, so maybe do some interesting peripheral reading to develop your understanding of the subjects?

Ok I will try to! Is there any wider reading you could suggest?
do you have to get an AAA at AS?
Reply 9
Original post by hideNfreak
do you have to get an AAA at AS?

No, as long as your teachers are willing to predict you AAA for A2. If they aren't, then there's not much point in applying to medicine in U6th, but you could still work hard, try to get AAA and then apply post-A-level.
Original post by Helenia
No, as long as your teachers are willing to predict you AAA for A2. If they aren't, then there's not much point in applying to medicine in U6th, but you could still work hard, try to get AAA and then apply post-A-level.

I have the predicted grades of AAA but after the physics exam this year I think I got a B, the unit 1 was bonkers but the unit 2 was the easiest so I don't think I got an A but I also do maths, chemistry and psychology -i think I did better in those
Reply 11
i was in the same position as you . I applied for biological sciences and got all 5 offers. On my personal statement I wrote a small amount about work experience in a hospital/gp and nursing home etc and what that taught me about the application of medical research etc. For courses like biochemistry/biomed/biology they don't really care about work experience anyway and so don't worry about it too much

Quick Reply