The Student Room Group

National Insurance Number (NI)

I have turned 17 and I am just about to get a job (will be called into sign some contracts etc for my placement soon). Problem is, I was never sent my national Insurance number once I reached the age of 16. I definitely have not lost it and DEFINITELY was not sent it.

I rung up and was told to fill in a CA5403 form, which I have completed and sent off to HMRC. I have a feeling, however, it will take forever to even get a reply to my CA5403.

Is there anyway I can get my number in a quicker amount of time, even if it is not on card? Is it possible to get it over the phone or something? I need it ASAP. Also, am I able to work without one for now?
(edited 8 years ago)
I understand your situation, I've been 16 for about a month and still nothing. I've tried calling and was told to fill in that form but I continued calling and when I finally got through they said they are unable to tell me over the phone but they'll resend me another letter. That was last Monday and I still haven't got nothing. I suggest your try calling again if you're desperate for it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not sure why you haven't been sent your NI number. I got mine 3 months before I turned 16 which is what they usually do so the fact that you still haven't gotten yours is strange. All you can do is call up and keep asking them I guess.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by qasim_96
Not sure why you haven't been sent your NI number. I got mine 3 months before I turned 16 which is what they usually do so the fact that you still haven't gotten yours is strange. All you can do is call up and keep asking them I guess.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I rung them up and managed to get through to HMRC. I spoke to a women and they recorded my details and said they would send me an NI number by post in the next 7-10 day working days. Although this is long, they told me it was the quickest possible time they could do it.

I'm wondering, will employers let you work without your National Insurance number so long as you have applied to get one and shown proof you are eligible for work in the UK (show your passport)?
Original post by Khanthebrit
I rung them up and managed to get through to HMRC. I spoke to a women and they recorded my details and said they would send me an NI number by post in the next 7-10 day working days. Although this is long, they told me it was the quickest possible time they could do it.

I'm wondering, will employers let you work without your National Insurance number so long as you have applied to get one and shown proof you are eligible for work in the UK (show your passport)?

I think that will depend on who you work for. I had an interview at sports direct yesterday and they asked for both my passport and NI number. Also, there was another guy who came with his British passport but he was Australian and didn't have a NI number so sports direct spent ages on the phone (not sure who to as he was already there when I came for my interview) and he had a applied for his NI a couple of months ago but still hadn't received it so sports direct told him to wait till he got his number.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by qasim_96
I think that will depend on who you work for. I had an interview at sports direct yesterday and they asked for both my passport and NI number. Also, there was another guy who came with his British passport but he was Australian and didn't have a NI number so sports direct spent ages on the phone (not sure who to as he was already there when I came for my interview) and he had a applied for his NI a couple of months ago but still hadn't received it so sports direct told him to wait till he got his number.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the reply, had a quick chat with my employer today. They said it will be fine and I can just give them it when I receive it. Thank you for the help.
Original post by Khanthebrit
Thanks for the reply, had a quick chat with my employer today. They said it will be fine and I can just give them it when I receive it. Thank you for the help.

No problem :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending