The Student Room Group

OCR Gateway GCSE Biology B B4 B5 B6 (12th June 2015)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by xxNerdyBirdyxx
The outer circle made a huge difference; it separated the impulses in the ventricles from that in the atria. If you consider that fact then there are 16 individual segements to consider. 0.64/16 = 0.04s
If you counted 8 segments then you have mistakingly counted the impulse in the ventricle and atria as one.

No, the whole circle represented the cardiac cycle, and the cycle includes the contraction of both atria and ventricles. They separated it into 2 circles to show how they both contract at different times, for the next part of the question.
I did get 1.52 at first I put it in my calculator again to ensure damn silly mistake.
Any good revision powerpoints for OCR P4 5 6- dont know a thing :/
What box does everyone tick for the thing that didn't contain enzymes?? I put bile
Reply 84
Original post by lilyjacks
What box does eveverything home tick for the thing that didn't contain enzymes?? I put bile

Yup, bile only contains emulsifiers!
Original post by xxNerdierBirdxx
Yes, but if that were the case, then how would we know what the atria were doing in the first 8 segments, and the ventricles were doing in the second 8 sections? This is a measure of time not impulses.

So you got 0.08?
Original post by lasertown
So you got 0.08?

I put 0.08 aswell
the beat overall was 0.64, so i divided it by 8 (there were 8 sections including both the atria and ventricles) so I got 0.08 :smile:
May have a lost a few there due to my lack of thought - but apart from that it was quite a nice paper I know if you did not revise for it you would suffer. Nice to have seen more biology content.

I think I'm guaranteed a A what overall % is neededed for an A*?
Reply 89
I put 0.08 but I had no idea what I was doing :tongue: , I stupidly put small intestine because I knew that it was out of small intestine and bile but forgot that bile had the emulsifiers rather than enzymes them selves -_-
Why did people divide by 16?
It only goes around the cycle once, not twice.
Reply 91
I also got 0.8 for the atria/ventricle question and 1.5 for the index

For the pollutant question I just put fertiliser run-off, bile for the tick box and plasmid for the vector

As I predicted in my other post there was in fact a yoghurt question that turned out to be a 6-marker, wasn't that bad actually

The last q. on the B6 section confused the hell out of me, I said yes but couldnt explain why haha, overall it wasn't that bad, I honestly expected worse. Section D was quite easy, didn't like the wording of the organ donation questions but they weren't too bad either. Overall it was a pretty decent exam
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 92
It was 33/85 for a B last year. 43 for an A and 53 for an A*
Reply 93
Also, I think boundaries will go up as the paper was surprisingly easy despite the fact that I'm an imbecile for making those tiny mistakes. What do you guys think of the boundaries, last year it was 43/85, I'm hoping this year it will be no more than 45/85 for an A.
Original post by lasertown
So you got 0.08?

Yes! 0.64/8
What did people get for the "which substance has no enzymes inside?" question? I had a feeling it would fool people, it almost tricked me, but I got bile. It's an emulsifier, doesn't contain enzymes.
Reply 96
Also, sorry for rapid posting but what on Earth was the question on ethical decisions or whatever. I wasn't sure if you had to think of your own or literally state what the darn doctors were saying, that question drove me mad.
Reply 97
Smashed it! Counted at least 70 marks.
For the other factors to consider question on the second page I put that increasing the temperature would increase the amount of water lost by transpiration.
Got 0.08 for the atria question, and 1.51 for the heart disease 6 marker.

Posted from TSR Mobile
For the question on what causes bones to become longer, it's either Human Growth Hormone or IGF-1.

HGH stimulates IGF-1 which produces more cartilage, so in a sense it could be either one.

I'm pretty sure it's IGF-1. I'll type the extract from my OCR textbook.

"The human growth hormone . . . has . . . an indirect effect of stimulating the liver to produce another hormone (IGF-1). This hormone triggers an increased production of cartilage, causing an increase in length of long bones in the arms and legs."
Reply 99
I did god awfully in that paper...
What were the points for the last 6 marker on yogurt?
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest