The Student Room Group

Longest you've kept a laptop without it failing?

I havent had my laptop that long probs around 3-4 months its a budget acer laptop costing around £250.. tbh I cant complain its not given me much trouble but I have worked on keeping it problem free as much as possible. The lifespan of a laptop is very short but if I could get 3yrs out of it Id be very happy, I wouldnt get a laptop again tbh, may aswell get a desktop pc and get a decent tablet for mobility purposes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm still using my laptop that was bought in 2009, so... 6 years!
It is failing though, to be fair. It switches itself off sometimes because it's so weak and fragile and the components inside must be battered.

I have a Mac too, but I have so many files on this laptop so I still use it regularly.
I got about 5 years out of my last one before it died. Had my current one for 2 years now, still going strong with zero problems or viruses as of yet.
Reply 3
Probably about 4 years. My current one is 3 years old and isn't looking too great for the future though :lol: shame cos it was expensive
I've had a laptop last for three years before selling it and replacing it voluntarily :smile:
I have a Macbook from 2009, so 6 years and it's still going strong. Literally nothing wrong with it, still fast as lightning!

That's why I bought a Mac though. It costs you more (though mine at the time was only £850) but the lifespan and performance are really reliable.

Previously I had a Sony VAIO which lasted about a year before it slowed down and in the end it wouldn't turn on without being connected to the mains as its battery life was shorter than the half an hour it took to turn on :frown:
7 years acer
Reply 7
Five years before it finally died. It served me well. R. I. P. It died a good death.
Reply 8
Original post by Bill_Gates
7 years acer

Really? How much did you buy it for?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by T.I.P
Really? How much did you buy it for?

Posted from TSR Mobile

£600 at the time with 3 year guarantee from PC World. Just bought it for the screen size, it's still going well but battery is pretty much dead. Acer is probably the best tbh and in terms of guarantee.
First laptop I had was an eMachines. It lasted a year (spilt coca cola all over the keyboard once, but still worked like a charm! The mousepad packed up a few months after.
Second laptop was a Notebook. Had it for a year, worked great but was too small to use for college work, so I sold it.
Third laptop was a Toshiba satellite. Got it as a refurb from Argos. Worked great, had it for two years. Still works fine, but sold it to my brother as I got a free Fujitsu laptop from DSA which I've had for about 6 months, and works fabulously.
There's my history haha :mmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
About 3 months
£599 laptop.
Thank god for insurance
I've had it repaired for free 4 times
I keep dropping it off my bed
Reply 12
I got a 300 quid acer last July and it was instantly regrettable. Don't see it lasting for years tbh, it's had a few issues already

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
9 years out a £99 factory rework laptop from PC World! Nothing actually wrong with it when I gave up on it except it weighed a ton and the battery was so dead you couldn't even quickly change the plug from one socket to another.
Original post by Molothew
As well as Acer, Toshiba is also a notable company for their hardware, but probably not in terms of customer/product service. Luckily for most laptops, their batteries are easily replaced.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you serious? Acer is horrible. I remember when I had a desktop, I bought an acer monitor and it stopped working after only 2 years!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I read this as falling lol

No HP laptop of mine has survived more than 3 years, but my Mac has survived 5
Original post by Molothew
As well as Acer, Toshiba is also a notable company for their hardware, but probably not in terms of customer/product service. Luckily for most laptops, their batteries are easily replaced.

Posted from TSR Mobile

for sure, heard Toshiba is good too. Just been too lazy to change battery, it's my 2nd or 3rd laptop now lol.
The longest I've ever had a laptop is 3 years, and that was my mac, before it had severe problems with the motherboard and the hard drive, and so I thought I'd get a new laptop anyway... My windows laptops tended to survive about 2-2 and a half.

My sister's windows laptops on the other hand, that's another story... whether she was cursed or something, but she had a new one every 18 months because they were breaking.
Reply 18
4 years and still counting! :h: HP!
I have 2 MacBooks currently: a 2009 Unibody (clamshell) one (for just generally surfing the web), and a 2012 Air for web development.

Both are going well, but most likely because of the numerous modifications I've done to them, to keep them in tip-top condition.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending