The Student Room Group

"Student support grants 'could be cut'" BBC Reports

Scroll to see replies

So much for social mobility :rolleyes:
*Assuming poorer students are affected unfairly more so than others.
Original post by gr8wizard10
If by local business you mean night clubs which is neither beneficial to tax payers nor society

I disagree. Nightclubs are beneficial to society.
Original post by Captain Jack

How?
Original post by rayquaza17
How?

Stress relief, distraction, mating.

Plus community building, friendships, social bonding.
(edited 8 years ago)
Stress relief, distraction, mating.

Plus community building, friendships, social bonding.

not sure if srs
Reply 25
not sure if srs

And the economic benefits of increasing the velocity of money, taxes and keeping money in the UK.
not sure if srs

I am :biggrin:
Original post by gr8wizard10
If by local business you mean night clubs which is neither beneficial to tax payers nor society

nightclubs are especially beneficial to cities like Leeds, Manchester, Sheffield, etc. The nighttime economy is vital to the survival of a lot of places. Its a huge huge huge earner for cities in the time where traditional manufacturing jobs have declined. The night time economy attracts tourism, young people, students, etc. Cities have made loads of money benefitting from the 'craft beer' trend.

I would never choose to move anywhere with a crap homogenous nightlife. Nightlife is a very important thing i look for when moving somewhere.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by datpiff
nightclubs are especially beneficial to cities like Leeds, Manchester, Sheffield, etc. The nighttime economy is vital to the survival of a lot of places. Its a huge huge huge earner for cities in the time where traditional manufacturing jobs have declined. The night time economy attracts tourism, young people, students, etc. Cities have made loads of money benefitting from the 'craft beer' trend.

I would never choose to move anywhere with a crap homogenous nightlife. Nightlife is a very important thing i look for when moving somewhere.

Posted from TSR Mobile

beneficial to society =/= beneficial to economy

and i doubt it is beneficial to the economy, taking into account the police budget required, legislation making, healthcare budget on friday and saturday nights as well as legal costs.

if nightclubs are beneficial to society i proclaim myself as resurrected allah
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by SotonianOne

and i doubt it is beneficial to the economy, taking into account the police budget required, legislation making, healthcare budget on friday and saturday nights as well as legal costs.

if nightclubs are beneficial to society i proclaim myself as resurrected allah

Imagine a city like Manchester without a vibrant night time economy then. The city would have been dead ages ago.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by SotonianOne

If they didn't have a benefit to society they wouldn't exist. Nightclubs are fun and loads of people enjoy them as a place to go with friends. Not all nightclubs are rowdy and very small numbers of people misuse them.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by datpiff

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good explanation. Likewise with where I live in Clapham. I moved here for the nightlife, and while my nights out have moved to restaurants as I've got older, throughout my twenties I was out most nights in the week, many at weekends to nightclubs.
Reply 32
not sure if srs

I'm not sure how you could seriously contend otherwise. They're recreational venues: a luxury service, perhaps, but by no means any less important to our society that a grocer or water company.
Original post by L i b
I'm not sure how you could seriously contend otherwise. They're recreational venues: a luxury service, perhaps, but by no means any less important to our society that a grocer or water company.

Pub landlords in some areas are very well respected members of the community who often get included in community meetings, etc. Back in the days of alehouses landlords were more respected than they were now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 34
Original post by datpiff
Pub landlords in some areas are very well respected members of the community who often get included in community meetings, etc. Back in the days of alehouses landlords were more respected than they were now.

Agreed. In many ways, it's a failing on both sides that city centre bars and nightclubs haven't been better at working with communities. Sure, plenty of proprietors of these more modern venues will go along to the odd community meeting when they want their licence renewed or planning permission for an extension - but that's quite different from ongoing engagement.
Reply 35
https://www.change.org/p/david-cameron-mp-government-do-not-cut-student-support-grants can you please sign and share the petition I made in an attempt to stop the cuts if you are against them, thank you!
Original post by L i b
Agreed. In many ways, it's a failing on both sides that city centre bars and nightclubs haven't been better at working with communities. Sure, plenty of proprietors of these more modern venues will go along to the odd community meeting when they want their licence renewed or planning permission for an extension - but that's quite different from ongoing engagement.

One of the ways in which these venues have supported their communities is through Business Improvement Districts. BIDs are voluntary taxes on commercial ratepayers which have to be voted for every five years. They need a double majority by number of ratepayers and rateable value to support them.

What is very noticeable is that the traders of more vibrant places tend to support BIDs and towns where not a lot is happening tend to vote them down.

The double majority means that BIDs have to keep the support of both large and small traders.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending