The Student Room Group

Should I take IB Maths HL - seriously confused!

So I'm about to start my IB program and I'm pretty confused as to what courses I should take. I want to study computer science in university, hopefully become a software developer!

I've been performing very well in my current math class in grade 10 (advanced 2), and my maths teacher strongly recommended me for maths HL. However, I'm extremely scared as everyone who goes into Math HL finds it difficult. I'm willing to work very hard everyday but realistically, should I take Math HL? How hard is it to get a 5 in it?

Thanks!
Well if I were you, I'd first of all look at the entry requirements for Computer Sciences at the unis you would like to attend as if they ask for it at HL, then you'd (obviously) have to have it at HL to get in. If they don't have a specific subject requirement though, then you could take either SL or HL and be fine. I would spend a few weeks in HL and see if you can cope with it before deciding whether or not you should take SL to be fully sure, but if you're in Advanced 2 then you should be fine. Also keep in mind that you could take four HLs then drop to SL in one of them later on, but I sincerely doubt you'll be able to go from SL to HL at any point aside from the start of IB1.

Hope this helped :smile:
A 5 in HL Math is easy, but above that it gets more difficult. HL Maths took all of my time as it contains more options and more things to do. If your Uni doesn't require a HL Math subject, then I think you should take SL. A 7 in SL is easier than getting a 6 in HL Math.:mute: All the things about IB are grades, of course for student it's knowledge, but for Uni it's all about grade, grade and grade, regardless the subject unless there are specific requirements mentioned in the beginning of the application process. :bebored:
Or if you find harder to learn or cope with social subjects in group 1,2,3 that you don't want to take HL ( I am screwed with social subjects:bricks:) then HL math is a less painful option.:closedeyes:
Reply 3
Thanks. Unfortunately, most universities in the US do not specify any requirements for Computer Science (or for any major, for that matter). I would like advice from anyone that has or is currently taking Math HL, about how many hours a day should i spend on it? Any other advice or tips would be appreciated! Thanks!
My friend took math SL for computer science and he still got offers. I have taken Math HL and finished it on May this year. Let say it all depends on your knowledge that you have got at the moment. The amount of mathematical knowledge you have covered will decide the work you need to do. Why don't you just look at IB HL textbook and decide. The expectation is that you have covered all of them (might be superficial), then the amount of work per day is just 1 or 2 hours.
Hope that help.
Reply 5
I took HL maths, one of my HL classmates is going off to study Computer Science in the fall... He's going to NYU, but overall I think it depends on which unis you're aiming for. An ivy league will probably like you to take HL.
In terms of workload, it completely depends on how good you are at maths. Out of all my subjects, I definitely spent the largest part on maths in the long run, and it can take from 2 to maybe 5 hours per day, depending on your teacher and workload (and study habits).
I would start off in HL, and worst-case scenario, you drop down to SL and have to bump up another subject to HL instead. This is completely possible for most of your first year.
General tip: review, revise, study. It really helps to do continuous practice throughout the year (this goes for most subjects btw), for maths especially, because you need to be able to solve those questions. So do lots of actual IB questions when you can, and don't give up! You'll get the hang of it eventually, and it will work out. I loved HL maths. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending