The Student Room Group

Work experience, vac schemes and the TC

Concerned I've wrecked my chances of getting my GDL funded and therefore wrecked my chances of a career in law!

I'm a second year Oxbridge student (studying philosophy) expecting a 2:i / 1. I'm aiming at MC and silver circle firms.

I have 1 week of legal work experience and am desp trying to get some more over this summer...

I didn't get a vac scheme for this summer, so next year I will be applying to TCs but without a vac scheme- (and probably very little work experience) is this realistic?

Is doing the GDL without a TC common/insane?
Original post by 9181jorlac
Concerned I've wrecked my chances of getting my GDL funded and therefore wrecked my chances of a career in law!

I'm a second year Oxbridge student (studying philosophy) expecting a 2:i / 1. I'm aiming at MC and silver circle firms.

I have 1 week of legal work experience and am desp trying to get some more over this summer...

I didn't get a vac scheme for this summer, so next year I will be applying to TCs but without a vac scheme- (and probably very little work experience) is this realistic?

Is doing the GDL without a TC common/insane?

You can apply for winter vac schemes (in fact, of my friends who secured a TC off the back of a VS, all of those VSs were winter ones - although this is probably just coincidence) still which would be completed this Christmas.

If not, getting a TC without a vac scheme is perfectly doable, even at MC and SC firms - but you may have to get some more informal work experience at law firms or similar.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending