The Student Room Group

AJ's Summer 2015 Anime Preview: Believe in Justice and Hold a Determination to Fist

The end of a fairly decent Spring season of anime is near, but having looked at what's to come less than a month from now, the Summer could end up being just as good, if not better! Here's a list of the upcoming full-length TV titles. :smile:

(These series are all due to air in the first few weeks of July. If you're looking for something to watch between now and then, maybe check last season's preview thread for some ideas!)

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Akagami no Shirayuki-hime

Aoharu x Kikanjuu

Aquarion Logos

Chaos Dragon: Sekiryuu Sen'eki

Charlotte

Classroom☆Crisis

Dragon Ball Chou

Durarara!!x2 Ten

Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 2wei Herz!

Gakkou Gurashi!

Gangsta.

Gatchaman Crowds insight

Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri

God Eater

Himouto! Umaru-chan

Jitsu wa Watashi

Joukamachi no Dandelion

3 Junjou Romantica

Kangoku Gakuen Prison School

Kuusen Madoushi Kouhosei no Kyoukan

Makura no Danshi

(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Monster Musume no Iru Nichijou

Non Biyori Repeat

Overlord

Ranpo Kitan: Game of Laplace

Rokka no Yuusha

Senki Zesshou Symphogear GX: Believe in Justice and Hold a Determination to Fist.

Shimoneta to Iu Gainen ga Sonzai Shinai Taikutsu na Sekai

Sore ga Seiyuu!

Suzakinishi the Animation

THE iDOLM@STER: Cinderella Girls 2nd Season

To LOVE-Ru Darkness 2nd

Ushio to Tora

Venus Project: Climax

Working!!!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

All the info has been sourced from Anichart, AniDB, Youtube and MAL. All first impressions and opinions are coming from someone who hasn't even watched Dragon Ball Z, so feel free to disregard them.
Picked up:

Gangsta.

Ranpo Kitan: Game of Laplace

Senki Zesshou Symphogear GX

Rokka no Yuusha

Gatchaman Crowds insight

Aoharu x Kikanjuu

Durarara!!x2 Ten

Ushio to Tora

Chaos Dragon: Sekiryuu Sen'eki

Non Non Biyori Repeat

Overlord

Classroom☆Crisis

Gakkou Gurashi!

Dropped:

Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri

Charlotte

Shimoneta to Iu Gainen ga Sonzai Shinai Taikutsu na Sekai

Akagami no Shirayuki-hime

Jitsu wa Watashi wa

Aquarion Logos

Joukamachi no Dandelion

Monster Musume no Iru Nichijou

Sore ga Seiyuu!

Himouto! Umaru-chan

Kuusen Madoushi Kouhosei no Kyoukan

Kangoku Gakuen Prison School

God Eater
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
I'm most hyped for Durarara and Working.

Other shows I'll try are Akagami no Shirayuki-hime, Chaos Dragon, Charlotte, Gakkou Gurashi, Gangsta, God Eater, Overlord, Prison School and Rokka no Yuusha.
Reply 4
Nice work AJ :yeah: Think I share your sentiments on quite a few things. Overall I'm more hyped for sequels this season than anything else. Summer seems quite fanservice heavy - not a fan.
Original post by caraniel
Nice work AJ :yeah: Think I share your sentiments on quite a few things. Overall I'm more hyped for sequels this season than anything else. Summer seems quite fanservice heavy - not a fan.

I just read your blog post, we did seem to react in a similar way to a lot of the shows (including our mutual surprise that Gonzo are still going). :p:

I've pretty much written off the fanservice series too, but the one positive thing I can say about the new ones is that they're certainly not generic. Monster Musume is filling a niche largely unrepresented by TV anime, and the two J.C.Staff shows look simply bizarre. :giggle:
Spring 2015 has been the first anime season that I've followed, but I've only been following 2 anime this season (Shokugeki no Souma and Hibike! Euphonium). I hope to follow a few more this upcoming season.

My watchlist for the summer season consists of:
Durarara!! S2 (I need to watch the first cour)
Charlotte
Overlord
God Eater
Gangsta
Dragon Ball Super (why not?)
Rokka no Yuusha
Gakkou Gurashi

I may add some more later on, but as of right now those are the ones that I plan on following. Whether or not I continue watching all of them is a different story though :tongue:
Reply 7
I'll be trying out the following:

Charlotte
Chaos Dragon
Dragon Ball Super
Gangsta
God Eater
Rokka no Yuusha
I decided to kick the season off with the first episode of Gangsta - I'm amazed at how much explicit violence, sex and drug use they managed to fit in without having to resort to JoJo's/Terra Formars levels of censorship! Some parts made for uncomfortable viewing, but for the right reasons - definitely picked up.

'Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri', I'm not sure about. Dubious animation, fast-pacing and of course the whole multiple worlds thing immediately brings last season's Gunslinger Stratos to mind, which was hardly a masterpiece. And while I do admire the protagonist's passion for his hobby, it did clash with the whole serious massacring going on, hard to tell how seriously the show wants to be taken. Dropped for now, but the season is still young, so it may still have a shot.
New Fate/kaleid, To Love Ru Darkness, Non Non Biyori, I'm done :awesome:

I'll check out the other series later, cheers AJ :cool:
Okay, Classroom☆Crisis wasn't the slow-paced sci-fi slice of life series I was expecting - the classroom was interesting, and the crisis was real! Despite that though, it's dropped until I've seen more of what the season has to offer. Miles better than Gate, though.

Ranpo Kitan - Game of Laplace is definitely picked up. I loved the style, and the protagonist and detective seem like they're going to be fun characters. :biggrin:
The first episode of Symphogear GX was just perfect. Quite possibly the best I've seen all year. Rocket surfing, mountain shortening, alchemists, and just so many explosions. I love this stupid show. My determination to fist is real. :biggrin:

Charlotte is the latest awesome first episode that I'll be dropping for now, simply because I feel the best has yet to come this season, and I want to reserve spaces for it. This is insane.
Picking up Rokka no Yuusha - the Mayan-like setting, fun characters and great writing may well give Arslan Senki a run for its money, and it certainly has it beat when it comes to animation. Hard to believe this is the same studio Passione that brought us Rail Wars!

Dropping the first of J.C.Staff's summer ecchi offerings, Shimoneta to Iu Gainen... Won't be going back to it either. Maybe worth checking out if you like censored profanity, innuendos and general ecchi antics that are, at the very least, a bit more creatively presented than in most other pure fanservice shows.
The first proper episode of Gatchaman Crowds Insight was quite slow-paced compared with the action-packed Inbound special. More of a character introduction ep than anything. I'll be picking it up of course, but despite the brightness and weirdness of it all, it didn't stand out as much as I expected.

Also picking up Aoharu x Kikanjuu, which was brilliant. Another slightly odd airsoft survival series, with more characters who seem like they'll be a lot of fun. I'm surprised the official subs decided to ignore protagonist Tachibana's referring to herself in the third person, though, as it was quite a noticeable quirk.
Original post by AngryJellyfish
The first proper episode of Gatchaman Crowds Insight was quite slow-paced compared with the action-packed Inbound special. More of a character introduction ep than anything. I'll be picking it up of course, but despite the brightness and weirdness of it all, it didn't stand out as much as I expected.

Also picking up Aoharu x Kikanjuu, which was brilliant. Another slightly odd airsoft survival series, with more characters who seem like they'll be a lot of fun. I'm surprised the official subs decided to ignore protagonist Tachibana's referring to herself in the third person, though, as it was quite a noticeable quirk.

Speaking of dodgy subs...

Spoiler

Picked up Durarara!!x2 Ten, of course. :biggrin:
Reply 16
I have my first batch of first impressions up for:

Gangsta.
Ranpo Kitan Game of Laplace
Okusama ga Seitokaichou!
Classroom Crisis
Wakaba*Girl
GATE
Aoharu x Kikanjuu
Hetalia The World Twinkle
Charlotte

Must say this season's first episode game is very strong!
Standard shounen fare from Ushio to Tora, but I liked the comedy, and the interactions between the titular characters. Picked up~
My thoughts on the summer shows so far :
- Gangsta : A pretty impressive first episode, a lot more mature than I expected it to be. The characters seem a little bland so far but for a first episode it isn't half bad.
- Durarara!! : I hated the second season, but at least Izaya is doing something for once. If they keep him in the spotlight they can't go wrong.
-Ranpo Kitan : Game of Laplace : Dropped. The characters seem like typical fujoshi bait, (flashback to Owari no Seraph), and I just think there are far better series that are worth my time.
- Dragon Ball Super : I'm going in blind with this one, but it looks like it'll be a lot of fun.
- Charlotte : I'm getting a bad feeling that this may be a repeat of Plastic Memories. The first episode didn't impress me too much, but I'm keeping it for now.

I'll try to check out a few more soon, including Overlord and God Eater.
Finally found subs for, and will be picking up Chaos Dragon: Sekiryuu Sen'eki - Not bad, and it has the potential to get better once the main characters party up as will presumably happen.

Quick Reply

Latest