The Student Room Group

Ideal first car that's cheap to run & insure!?

Hi guys, today I took my driving test and passed first time! I am now looking for a car which is cheap to run (petrol wise) and cheap to insure. I'm thinking about a Ford KA from 2002 - 2004ish. Any opinions on these cars etc? Also does anyone know of anyways to get the cheapest insurance quotes by doing things like parking on drive, putting 5000 miles on policy and only doing 2500 etc? Thanks! :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rhi17
Hi guys, today I took my driving test and passed first time! I am now looking for a car which is cheap to run (petrol wise) and cheap to insure. I'm thinking about a Ford KA from 2002 - 2004ish. Any opinions on these cars etc? Also does anyone know of anyways to get the cheapest insurance quotes by doing things like parking on drive, putting 5000 miles on policy and only doing 2500 etc? Thanks! :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by rhi17

Posted from TSR Mobile

lol jkjk

to be honest I think the best option is a low insurance group, like a Vauxhall corsa or a kia like you said

congrats on passing
Reply 3
Thank you very much! I've been looking at KA's for sometime now and had insurance quotes for about £1,400 which I consider really cheap. Just wondering if there's anyway of getting it cheaper...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Hey !

I passed my test back in November 2014 and I bought my first car in March this year... I hate to break it to you, no cars will be cheap to insure or to run!

I've got a Peugeot 307 which, granted, is a 1.4 L engine but is still in a low tax bracket, and it cost £1,400 to insure for a year with a black box at age 18.

Cars are expensive, it's just the nature of the beast!
If you get a black box then it would cut the insurance right back as it tracks how you drive and you pay for how well you drive. But there are some restrictions on it, I cant remember what they are off the top of my head though.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Thanks! I've been looking at about 1.3L maximum. Anything over that bumps it up quite a lot

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Yeah been looking at black boxes too. More Than insurers have been coming up quite a lot with the cheapest quotes and they fit a black box anyway!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rhi17

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wouldnt have a KA. I wouldnt touch one with a bargepole.
Id go for something like a vauxhall corsa, nissan micra, kia picanto etc.
Original post by rhi17
Yeah been looking at black boxes too. More Than insurers have been coming up quite a lot with the cheapest quotes and they fit a black box anyway!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Black boxes are also more trouble than they are worth.
Suzuki Swift, Toyota Yaris, Ford Fiesta
Original post by The_Uneasy_Truth

love it
Reply 12
Original post by The_Uneasy_Truth
lol jkjk

to be honest I think the best option is a low insurance group, like a Vauxhall corsa or a kia like you said

congrats on passing

The corsa tends to have higher insurance because insurance companies see it as a chav mobile.... same with the fiesta

Cheaper cars are usually japanese hatchbacks such as Nissan micra, and their also much more reliable
Reply 13
Original post by Emma:-)
I wouldnt have a KA. I wouldnt touch one with a bargepole.
Id go for something like a vauxhall corsa, nissan micra, kia picanto etc.

What's wrong with a KA?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rhi17
What's wrong with a KA?

Posted from TSR Mobile

One of the main isses with KA's is rust. I know all cars rust, but KA's dont just rust, they rot. And they rot big style. And with certain parts of the car (e.g. round the filler cap) you have no choice but to replace the whole panel. If you are looking at one of the old shape KA's, you will be lucky to find one thats got a floor left, they rot that bad. They are well known for it.
And they are well known for quite a few other issues as well. I know all cars have issues, but KA's have more than most.
Theres also the high tax. My grandma and grandad had one at one point. I dont know what model it was but it wasnt far off £200 a year tax.
And they might not be as cheap insurance as you think. I know its different for everyone, but i found at the time that most other cars where cheaper than KA's to insure.
Insurance prices for young drivers is truly shocking! Didnt realise it was anything near 4 phuckin digits for what might aswell be ponsified go-karts such as the KA.
Original post by rhi17
Thank you very much! I've been looking at KA's for sometime now and had insurance quotes for about £1,400 which I consider really cheap. Just wondering if there's anyway of getting it cheaper...

Posted from TSR Mobile

KA's aren't great....just look around thoroughly, Yaris is an ideal option especially if you are driving around in town/city only.
Add named drivers to lower insurance, look around a lot, consider insurance brokers.
Nissan micra, ford ka, daewoo/chevy matiz. Theres a ton of ~10 year old reliable cars to be had for under £1000. They are all going to be thousands to insure. The only ones id say to avoid are Fiat Puntos because Italy & Citreon Saxos because body kits and burberry hats. Corsas being a split opinion. I personally wouldnt say they are very reliable at that age but plenty of people swear by them. Clios have a habit of ****ting the bed in various ways at that age too
Original post by Laomedeia
Insurance prices for young drivers is truly shocking! Didnt realise it was anything near 4 phuckin digits for what might aswell be ponsified go-karts such as the KA.

yup, ponsified go-karts in the hands of an inexperienced user, a potential 100mph 1 tonne of metal causing a multiple car pile up with fatalities is what you're insuring against.

People see their 1k first car and think the grand or two to insure it is a rip off, because they are only thinking of the cost of replacing it, I personally think that a grand or two to insure against such an event is cheap at twice the price.

Im quite frankly amazed that insurers are willing to cover such potential losses for such (relatively speaking) small sums
I bought a Nissan Micra 2005 insured for £1400 with black box :smile: Insurance quotes were intially £4,500 :O

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending