The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
$48000 is tuition+room n board.. its about 36000 for JUST tuition fees
Flowergirl1989
$48000 is tuition+room n board.. its about 36000 for JUST tuition fees

well i wasnt really planning on buying a home there and feeding myself/getting a maid :p:
abrp, if you go to a state university (Michigan, Rutgers, etc. your out of state fees would be about $20,000 to $25,000. If you go to a private university, your fees might top $35- 40 per year. Room and board could be another $10,000 or more, depending on where you live. Money will be a big issue- however, there is more money around for financial aid at the postgraduate level, though not too much for foreign students. A master's will take you 2 years.
i was only considering Private Unis in USA...since i can understand paying e.g 40k to go to Stanford/UPenn etc...but to pay 30 or so K overall to go to Florida /Ohio State etc..no point really..might as well go to a top10 UK uni for several times less.
You're right about some state unis, but there are some really excellent state unis also- UNC Chapel Hill, UVA, some in the UC system, Texas at Austin...

Have you considered Canada? McGill, University of Toronto, both highly regarded and there are others also. Will cost less than US private unis.
they might be v.good ones..but if they dont have the reputation which stretches across the ocean then there isnt really any point :frown:

and nah..havent really considered Canada..isnt it just a more expensive version of Russia..except where people speak French and English..and the athletes perform much worse at the Olympics :biggrin:?
Awwww consider Canada. UBC is my personal favorite. Though, I've already sold it to one person this week :p: I really did consider McGill and Toronto as well, but decided it was... too cold. I was really lazy when it came down to actually applying to schools, lol.

My hopeful school next year has a nice tuition, ~$7,000. The out of state tuition is only ~$26,000. Plus room & board, of course. :smile:
Somebody already directed you to Brian Leiter's philosophy rankings website, but you need to take a look at this page in particular for info on MA programs:

http://www.philosophicalgourmet.com/maprog.asp

There are standalone MA programs in philosophy the US, but they are relatively few in number.

You say you "love" philosophy. Are you sure? Have you taken any courses in philosophy at university level? Do you even know what it is as an academic discipline? It may be very different to what you expect.
Reply 28
ebonyphoenix
NYU is legendary for being the most expensive place to get a degree.

Not really. They're pretty generous with their financial aid packages. It's their mediocre academic programs that I'd be more concerned with.

shady lane
There are very few terminal masters programs in philosophy. In which case you'd have to apply for a PhD program, and you'd definitely need a philosophy undergrad for a good program.

Are you sure about that? Most programs require majoring in a similar field, not the exact one. Plus you pretty much start over at a graduate program anyway; you just learn at a much faster pace (which means if you have little background knowledge, you're going to have your work really cut out for you). I suppose philosophy can be different, but I've never heard that claim made before.
Reply 29
Phonicsdude
In a couple of years time I will have finished a law degree at UCL. I am already looking a the possibility of doing a masters in philosophy at an American uni.
Is this possible?
How long would this last?
Where can I find out information (preferably unbias) about US unis? Bear in mind that I know next to nothing about them.
Which unis have a reputation for being intensely social?

I will contact my uni's careers dept but I want to do some private research first.
If anyone can provide any useful information, I would be much obliged.

Cheers,

Pd

Unless you want to go broke and quite possibly get absolutely no tangible benefits, you should think about going for a doctorate instead. It's much cheaper (might end up costing you nothing), and you'll be able to teach afterwards. If you don't want to teach, I'm not sure you should seek a degree in philosophy, unless you have nothing better to do with 2 years and $80,000.
arkbar
Overseas fees for the UC system are ~$23k a year.

Not possible, I'm a california resident and it is costing me $19,000 for a year, it will be way more for international students.
Reply 31
"You will be exempt from non-resident tuition and educational fees normally required of international students who attend the University of California ($23,226 for the 2005-6 academic year)."-from my reciprocity benefits letter.
See, those are the "tuition" fees, which for California residents are ~$7,000. They just find other stuff to charge you for, which brings it up to about ~$20,000. I don't know what the international total cost is, though.
Reply 33
Surely tuition+set of fixed costs which are ~equal to those paid by Californians. I know internatinal students here pay the same for housing, health insurance etc..
Yeah, the additional stuff would be the same, its just the base point that the other fees get tacked on to is higher than internationals (at UCLA its $8,000 compared to $23,000). Sorry I wasn't clear.
Reply 35
The insane rip-off that is UC accomodation/book-buying/anything they can take you for is leading to much bitching and empty pockets right about now.
Reply 36
arkbar
The insane rip-off that is UC accomodation/book-buying/anything they can take you for is leading to much bitching and empty pockets right about now.

You don't have to live on campus though, do you? Book-buying is a rip-off everywhere. Try to buy the textbooks used from Amazon or a similar place.
Reply 37
No I don't, but this area has real estate prices that can only be described as 'insane' even by southern Californian terms.
I didn't buy any books, I just took them out from the library.

Latest

Trending

Trending