The Student Room Group

The Assisted Suicide debate

I find this topic particularly interesting as unlike most, there seems to be little distinction along party lines. You have Labour, Lib, Tory, SNP, Green and other voters who are both in favour or opposed to the motion albeit not in equal proportions.

So it will be good if party politics can be put to one side for a moment.

How do you feel about assisted dying?
From a personal perspective I see it as a must, it is essential that one can choose to die with dignity. Imagine being diagnosed with a terminal or degenerative illness where you would suffer immensely and whittle down to basically a skeleton.

Most of the opposition to this seems to be regarding application which in my opinion can largely be mitigated by regulation.

So are you in favor or not and why?

Scroll to see replies

Massively in favour, **** anyone who'd seek to prevent me from doing this if I ever wanted to. It's no one else's business. I don't care about any other aspect of this debate, that's the bottom line for me.
Original post by SnoochToTheBooch
Massively in favour, **** anyone who'd seek to prevent me from doing this if I ever wanted to. It's no one else's business. I don't care about any other aspect of this debate, that's the bottom line for me.

What a terribly selfish person you are.
Original post by TorpidPhil

Knowing I was unselfish would be little comfort to me if I was trapped in a knackered body with little/no hope of recovery and nothing but misery to look forward to. If other people abuse this option it's not my problem or my concern. I'm sick of this society denying everyone stuff because of the stupidity of a few.
I really don't know about this tbh...what about if people feel like they're under pressure from those around them to end their lives, to relieve the burden on their families?
Reply 5
The real debate is should companies like dignitas be allowed to advertise?
I'm in favour of this... I don't see why people are against it... If some people have made up their minds and are set on committing suicide/wanting to die, there's nothing you can do the stop them, they're gonna take measures into their own hands and do it anyway and they may suffer more from doing so.. at least with assisted suicide, we can make sure that they feel the least amount of pain... have someone there with them by their side...

and besides, if it was me and if I ever wanted to do this, I don't think it's anyone's business to have a say in this....
Well I've got a rich auntie who can't speak for herself and some inheritance would fall for me so go ahead with it.
Knowing I was unselfish would be little comfort to me if I was trapped in a knackered body with little/no hope of recovery and nothing but misery to look forward to. If other people abuse this option it's not my problem or my concern. I'm sick of this society denying everyone stuff because of the stupidity of a few.

smh.

What else can I say? Not a nice way to be. Sometimes we have to make sacrifices for the greater good of society. For example, alcohol is taxed to the extreme that it is for a reason. Same applies to car insurance being higher for those who are 'riskier' even though in reality some of that 'risky' group are bound to be less likely to get in an accident than some in the non risky group.
Original post by 156
I strongly disagree with assisted suicide

Ecclesiastes 7:17 - Be not over much wicked, neither be thou foolish: why shouldest thou die before thy time?

I'm not sure quoting religious text is a strong piece of evidence in this debate, as the majority of those in favour of assisted suicide are non-religious.
I agree with it. If I ever get a terminal illness and/or something that would be incurably painful, I would want that option. People saying it's selfish have obviously not witnessed prolonged agony. They think longevity is more important than quality, which is absurd.
I'm in favour, but the main argument against is that it's very very very difficult to properly identify a free choice to die, especially given the state people will be in when they actually want to die may well be one in which they're less capable of giving expression to their own thoughts and desires. This might in turn see people pre-emptively choosing this route because they're scared of a doctor or whatever not believing that they're making a free choice because of the state they might be in later.

I'll posit this question: can a person with very serious Alzheimer's disease choose to die? How are we to be certain that it is them, and not their family who is making the choice? Should we consider extrinsic evidence like the financial resources available to the family?
Original post by NeverTooLatte
I agree with it. If I ever get a terminal illness and/or something that would be incurably painful, I would want that option. People saying it's selfish have obviously not witnessed prolonged agony. They think longevity is more important than quality, which is absurd.

I agree with you....Don't want to cause any offence to anyone but it's a bit ironic for people to say that its selfish to have assisted suicide.....
(edited 8 years ago)
smh.

What else can I say? Not a nice way to be. Sometimes we have to make sacrifices for the greater good of society. For example, alcohol is taxed to the extreme that it is for a reason. Same applies to car insurance being higher for those who are 'riskier' even though in reality some of that 'risky' group are bound to be less likely to get in an accident than some in the non risky group.

Who's to say whose sacrifice is more important though? The options are it being forbidden, and some people die too late, or it being allowed, and some people die too early... but at least if people die too early this way, it's still ultimately down to them. They can be coerced but they can't be forced, unlike the current situation where people are being forced to suffer on.
Original post by Bustamove
Don't want to cause any offence to anyone but it's a bit ironic for people to say that its selfish to have assisted suicide.....

Huh? Why was that directed at me?:s-smilie:

Ah, you edited it. Ignore me :tongue:
Original post by NeverTooLatte
Huh? Why was that directed at me?:s-smilie:

no, I was adding on to what you said :smile: I was agreeing with you LOL
(edited 8 years ago)
I see it as common sense.

Yes because making someone suffer for a quarter of their life isn't selfish. It's practically torture, and people in government who oppose it should be charged for it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 17
In favour! You can humanely put down an animal, but you can't end your own life when it becomes unbearable and you have no quality of life. k lol.

Obviously, it's a matter of personal choice if someone wants to end their own life so if it's against your religion to do so, don't do it, just don't deny others the right to do so based on your beliefs.
Im against, legalising assisted suicide could risk to pressure being put on disabled people to let people kill them and potentially allow murder via misuse of the law.
Who's to say whose sacrifice is more important though? The options are it being forbidden, and some people die too late, or it being allowed, and some people die too early... but at least if people die too early this way, it's still ultimately down to them. They can be coerced but they can't be forced, unlike the current situation where people are being forced to suffer on.

Considering the sacrifices is different to what you did though. You didn't do that and I would be willing to take time considering that.

You just said in the first place something along the lines of "I want it legalised because it restricts my freedom for it to be illegal" which is obviously a very selfish line of thought. You could flesh out your initial argument far far better if it is not meant to be selfish.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending