The Student Room Group

Please help me!!!

So i'm going to get straight to the point, I want to study medicine. However, my GCSE's are terrible:

English Language A
English Literature C
Mathematics B
Physics B
Economics C
Chemistry A
Biology A
Citizenship A
Geography A*
History A

My AS grades are probably

Biology A
Chemistry A
Physics A
Geography A

UKCAT around 2750

I was wondering if I stand any chance of getting into any med schools, If so, which med schools?

I've honestly lost hope.
Reply 1
bump
Reply 2
Original post by WannaBDoctor
bump

You bumped this because no-one had replied within 15 mins on a Friday evening?
Be patient before bumping!

Your grades are fine for medicine. Yes they could be a bit higher, but they are perfectly sufficient. Grades are not everything - although of course you need the minimum, but you have that. Look at the strengths of your application, make sure that you have a stellar PS - get it written well in advance and get people to check it and give you feedback. And then research what different unis put more weight on, and avoid the unis that give particular weight to GCSEs. You can look at the medicine wiki at the top of the medicine forum to get some more information on which unis might be most suited to your application strengths. but again, your grades are fine.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Ronove

Helpful. Very helpful. Thank you.
Reply 5
So i'm going to get straight to the point, I want to study medicine. However, my GCSE's are terrible:

English Language A
English Literature C
Mathematics B
Physics B
Economics C
Chemistry A
Biology A
Citizenship A
Geography A*
History A

My AS grades are probably

Biology A
Chemistry A
Physics A
Geography A

UKCAT around 2750

I was wondering if I stand any chance of getting into any med schools, If so, which med schools?

I've honestly lost hope.

Are you joking? Those A levels are brilliant.

I got A leves: Biology B, Psychology B, Maths C
AS levels: Chemistry B and English Lit C

Then I did a Biomedical science degree (1:1) and lots of work experience, as well as prepare like a ****ing boss for the interviews, then got made 2 offers by Peninsula and Keele. My UKCAT was actually 2500, so don't lose hope my friend.

I wish I had your A levels when I was applying.

Your grades are fine, what about Penninsula?

You meet the requirements.

"The typical offer is A*AA AAA at GCE A Level which must include Chemistry and either Biology or Physics"
Reply 6
Original post by kane92
Are you joking? Those A levels are brilliant.

I got A leves: Biology B, Psychology B, Maths C
AS levels: Chemistry B and English Lit C

Then I did a Biomedical science degree (1:1) and lots of work experience, as well as prepare like a ****ing boss for the interviews, then got made 2 offers by Peninsula and Keele. My UKCAT was actually 2500, so don't lose hope my friend.

I wish I had your A levels when I was applying.

Your grades are fine, what about Penninsula?

You meet the requirements.

"The typical offer is A*AA AAA at GCE A Level which must include Chemistry and either Biology or Physics"

Yeah my AS is fine, It's just my GCSE's are terrible.
Reply 7
Original post by junior.doctor
Be patient before bumping!

Your grades are fine for medicine. Yes they could be a bit higher, but they are perfectly sufficient. Grades are not everything - although of course you need the minimum, but you have that. Look at the strengths of your application, make sure that you have a stellar PS - get it written well in advance and get people to check it and give you feedback. And then research what different unis put more weight on, and avoid the unis that give particular weight to GCSEs. You can look at the medicine wiki at the top of the medicine forum to get some more information on which unis might be most suited to your application strengths. but again, your grades are fine.

What uni's don't care about GCSE's?
What uni's don't care about GCSE's?

Have a look for yourself
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15897-medical-school-gcse-requirements

That list may be a little out of date so double check with possible unis on their website.
Reply 9
Original post by ForestCat
Have a look for yourself
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15897-medical-school-gcse-requirements

That list may be a little out of date so double check with possible unis on their website.

Again, you're not helping. Yes I've checked all of that and the requirements, but we all know the requirements doesn't mean anything. Oxford require Cs in English and maths for most of their courses but if you get just C's you aren't getting in. So can you help me or not?
Again, you're not helping. Yes I've checked all of that and the requirements, but we all know the requirements doesn't mean anything. Oxford require Cs in English and maths for most of their courses but if you get just C's you aren't getting in. So can you help me or not?

A little rude, but ok.

Have you looked at the applying to your strengths wiki? It breaks down what each school actually looks for (i.e. if they look at your GCSEs past minimum requirements, or prioritise A-levels/ukcat etc more). As will each universities website if you look at their selection criteria. As junior.doctor says there are still plenty of options for you, but you are going to have to do some research yourself.

Oh and GCSE requirements do help you. They narrow down places where you definitely can't apply.
A little rude, but ok.

Have you looked at the applying to your strengths wiki? It breaks down what each school actually looks for (i.e. if they look at your GCSEs past minimum requirements, or prioritise A-levels/ukcat etc more). As will each universities website if you look at their selection criteria. As junior.doctor says there are still plenty of options for you, but you are going to have to do some research yourself.

Sorry for being rude. It's just my school is telling me I can't get into any medical school and that my best option would be to apply as a graduate which is something that I definitely do not want to do.

I've checked the Wiki, I just thought that people on this forum could give me specific names so I don't end up applying to somewhere like Nottingham that don't even say they place a high emphasise on GCSE's when they do!

I thought TSR was research, tbh, I am a caring person and really want to do medicine but I guess them messing about days in year 11 are going to prevent me from doing this. I have like a 98% average in my AS and I feel that my GCSE's don't show the true me. Oh well.
Sorry for being rude. It's just my school is telling me I can't get into any medical school and that my best option would be to apply as a graduate which is something that I definitely do not want to do.

I've checked the Wiki, I just thought that people on this forum could give me specific names so I don't end up applying to somewhere like Nottingham that don't even say they place a high emphasise on GCSE's when they do!

I thought TSR was research, tbh, I am a caring person and really want to do medicine but I guess them messing about days in year 11 are going to prevent me from doing this. I have like a 98% average in my AS and I feel that my GCSE's don't show the true me. Oh well.

Have you had a look at Newcastle, AFAIK once you pass their minimum requirements they rank on UKCAT.
TBH having a strong UKCAT will open up a lot of doors for you, so focus on smashing it this summer.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Applying_to_Medical_School_using_your_Strengths Really does lay out which schools to avoid if you have 'weaker' GCSEs, combined with the minimum requirements and you should have a good idea of where to apply (once you actually have your grades and have sat the UKCAT).

If you can get As at A-level, ignore your school. Graduate entry is risky, not to mention long and expensive!
Have you had a look at Newcastle, AFAIK once you pass their minimum requirements they rank on UKCAT.
TBH having a strong UKCAT will open up a lot of doors for you, so focus on smashing it this summer.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Applying_to_Medical_School_using_your_Strengths Really does lay out which schools to avoid if you have 'weaker' GCSEs, combined with the minimum requirements and you should have a good idea of where to apply (once you actually have your grades and have sat the UKCAT).

If you can get As at A-level, ignore your school. Graduate entry is risky, not to mention long and expensive!

Hmm, thanks a lot! Btw just to be clear, is durham's admission req the same as Newcastle's? Lastly, do you study medicine? if not, what do you do?
Hmm, thanks a lot! Btw just to be clear, is durham's admission req the same as Newcastle's? Lastly, do you study medicine? if not, what do you do?

I think Durham's is very similar but I am not sure if they are entirely the same. You'll have to check on their websites.

I am a med student.
Original post by Ronove

Don't pretend like any of us have anything better to be doing.
Out of the ones to which I applied, I'd say avoid Nottingham and Liverpool as they're very GCSE heavy, but Durham could be worth looking at. As long as you have the minimum grade requirements, they don't really care about extra grades - having 20A* wouldn't put you at an advantage for example.
Just make sure you ace the UKCAT. Ones like Durham which aren't GCSE heavy focus a lot on UKCAT and personal statement.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by Etomidate
Don't pretend like any of us have anything better to be doing.

:colone: What about replying sarcastically to lazy thread-starters instead of answering their questions? I don't have all day.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending