The Student Room Group

OCR Virgil and the World if the Hero - A2

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by ammyokko
I thought it went okayish, but I didn't finish 1b and I didn't write a conclusion for 1a. I did the non-comparison for both sections. How did you find it?
Posted from TSR Mobile

I also did the non-comparison for both sections, and I went over on section A by like 5-10 minutes!
Overall I think it went ok, or may I even dare to say well? It wasn't a disaster, and it could have gone a lot worse, if I had attempted the comparison question.-- But unfortunately I need an A !!!
Original post by EnnieR
I also did 1 and 4- actually bit annoyed that I learnt the Iliad seeing as I didn't get to mention it!
Phrasing was a bit odd - especially the "celebrates the tragedy of human suffering"
but anyway I took that to mean the primary concern of Virgil in the Aeneid - what he focused on most
I argued that it was human suffering more than the destiny of rome- so agreeing with the statement
--> My points mainly focused on the numerous deaths of childrens before their parents, priam and polites, menzentius and lausus, evander and pallas, aeneas as a surrogate father and pallas, and Euryalus' mother wailing after his death.
-->Then the general suffering of other characters, such as Dido- broken heart, and Amata's suicide. Analysed Dido's curse as possible celebration of romes future, but said that overall her death before her time, overwhelmed the triumph of rome with human suffering and tragedy.
-->Next Turnus' death as a tragedy, then his death as the end of war and so the founding of rome, then from his sisters perspective-Juturna so tragedy again.
-->Also mentioned how human suffering seems to be caused by the Gods- Juno's fierce and un-forgetting anger at the slight to her beauty, dido's deadly wound caused by the gods/ cupid.
-->Mentioned the destruction of troy suffering of losing home and the suffering of Aeneas that he has been tossed about on all the oceans of the world for seven long years.
-->Also said that Romes destiny was a central theme- Jupiter unrolling the secrets of the scroll of the Fates bk 1, Aeneas's shield telling the future triumphs of rome, battle of Actium, bk 6 Augustus and future leaders,
but that human suffering seemed more powerful and out weighed all of this.
What points did you make ?

my essay was practically the exact same as yours hahah! even in the same order pretty much
except:
-i didn't mention priam and polites nor euryalus, though i did mention marcellus
and i added how aeneas suffers via furor overcoming him, committing sacrilege, not very 'roman hero' of him...

-turnus' death - i didn't mention juturna, but i did discuss the abrupt ending emphasising human suffering, but how virgil hadn't actually finished it

-same about dido and amata and discussed venus and juno's causing dido's suffering
and the effects of their deaths on others: anna, carthaginians, lavinia

-didn't have time to talk about aeneas' suffering in his travels even though that seems the most obvious point lol

-made the same points about rome's destiny :smile: time was running out so i did write more agreeing with the question than disagreeing but concluded that celebrating rome's destiny was his priority, even augustus vetoed it being burned etc
but now i think about it i kind of do agree with the statement, oh well

how about for 1b? i didn't know whether to just draw from that book or compare to other books, time was really limited

i need an A* for my offer so really hoping I managed it in classics! :smile:
I actually quite liked 1B, after I read it over carefully. For Q4 I wrote pretty much the same stuff as you guys, and concluded that the suffering undermined and outweighed any Roman triumphalism.
Reply 23
Original post by cucaracha
my essay was practically the exact same as yours hahah! even in the same order pretty much
except:
-i didn't mention priam and polites nor euryalus, though i did mention marcellus
and i added how aeneas suffers via furor overcoming him, committing sacrilege, not very 'roman hero' of him...

-turnus' death - i didn't mention juturna, but i did discuss the abrupt ending emphasising human suffering, but how virgil hadn't actually finished it

-same about dido and amata and discussed venus and juno's causing dido's suffering
and the effects of their deaths on others: anna, carthaginians, lavinia

-didn't have time to talk about aeneas' suffering in his travels even though that seems the most obvious point lol

-made the same points about rome's destiny :smile: time was running out so i did write more agreeing with the question than disagreeing but concluded that celebrating rome's destiny was his priority, even augustus vetoed it being burned etc
but now i think about it i kind of do agree with the statement, oh well

how about for 1b? i didn't know whether to just draw from that book or compare to other books, time was really limited

i need an A* for my offer so really hoping I managed it in classics! :smile:

1b was definitely my weakest answer- was also thrown by the fact it was just book 6 in the question.
Although I debated whether to reference other books I choose not to because I didn't want to risk not answering the question.
I don't remember all the points I made but I agreed with the question because it was easiest. Argued it contained everything as it had tragedy. fate, divine intervention, prophesy and historical stuff.
--> Divine intervention with Venus sending doves
--> sibyl prophesying that the perils of the sea have ended but that they will face worse on land, prophesy of the second Achilles
--> prophesy of Rome's future leaders - historical figures of Augustus and Marcellus
--> golden bough - fated to travel to underworld
--> Underworld elevates it to a truly epic poem
--> moral teachings in the underworld- when sibyl explains what sins will land you in Tartarus reflects what Augustus wanted romans to value
--> tragedy of Palinurus and Deiphobus in underworld - their deaths
--> reassurances to these two characters allows him to move on and complete his destiny in the later books.
Thus contains everything that makes the Aeneid an epic poem and success.
I don't know through if this is really what they wanted but hey- hopefully it wont effect my grade!!! :-)
What did you argue/discuss?
O' and I totally forgot that I also mentioned Anna for the death of Dido-- if we both did the same essay hopefully means we will both get a high grade!!! :-D
But where are you planning on going that needs an A*????
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by EnnieR
1b was definitely my weakest answer- was also thrown by the fact it was just book 6 in the question.
Although I debated whether to reference other books I choose not to because I didn't want to risk not answering the question.
I don't remember all the points I made but I agreed with the question because it was easiest. Argued it contained everything as it had tragedy. fate, divine intervention, prophesy and historical stuff.
--> Divine intervention with Venus sending doves
--> sibyl prophesying that the perils of the sea have ended but that they will face worse on land, prophesy of the second Achilles
--> prophesy of Rome's future leaders - historical figures of Augustus and Marcellus
--> golden bough - fated to travel to underworld
--> Underworld elevates it to a truly epic poem
--> moral teachings in the underworld- when sibyl explains what sins will land you in Tartarus reflects what Augustus wanted romans to value
--> tragedy of Palinurus and Deiphobus in underworld - their deaths
--> reassurances to these two characters allows him to move on and complete his destiny in the later books.
Thus contains everything that makes the Aeneid an epic poem and success.
I don't know through if this is really what they wanted but hey- hopefully it wont effect my grade!!! :-)
What did you argue/discuss?
O' and I totally forgot that I also mentioned Anna for the death of Dido-- if we both did the same essay hopefully means we will both get a high grade!!! :-D
But where are you planning on going that needs an A*????

It was my weakest too but by the sounds of it you've done really well! :biggrin:

i also agreed with the quotation
-strong father-son bond which comes up again with L+M, P+E
-poignant scene of lost love with Dido
-horror of war and death of the innocent - Deiphobus recounting Helen's treachery
-horrors of the Underworld - Aeneas horrified at the mass of desperate shades ferried by Charon
-philosophical aspect in depicting life after death
-glorifying Rome - Roman pageant etc
- Venus helping Aeneas find the Golden Bough as divine intervention is so central to the overall plot
Concluded all this does make it a success...and how it's a crucial book in tying the 2 parts of the Aeneid together with Aeneas leaving the underworld a Roman hero
idk how well i actually answered the question

Durham for English Literature!! Need A*AA and since English grade boundaries are ridiculously high my hope lies with Classics!:tongue:
Where are you planning to go?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 25
I did 1 and 3 - my 1b was a lot differnet to everyone else's-uh oh. Hated that question.
I thought 3 was a good essay
But overall the paper was deifnetly not the best'
Reply 26
It was my weakest too but by the sounds of it you've done really well! :biggrin:

i also agreed with the quotation
-strong father-son bond which comes up again with L+M, P+E
-poignant scene of lost love with Dido
-horror of war and death of the innocent - Deiphobus recounting Helen's treachery
-horrors of the Underworld - Aeneas horrified at the mass of desperate shades ferried by Charon
-philosophical aspect in depicting life after death
-glorifying Rome - Roman pageant etc
- Venus helping Aeneas find the Golden Bough as divine intervention is so central to the overall plot
Concluded all this does make it a success...and how it's a crucial book in tying the 2 parts of the Aeneid together with Aeneas leaving the underworld a Roman hero
idk how well i actually answered the question

Durham for English Literature!! Need A*AA and since English grade boundaries are ridiculously high my hope lies with Classics!:tongue:
Where are you planning to go?

I like the examples you used... wish I had thought of some of them- o'well :-D

DURHAM - of course- I applied to do joint English lit and history there with same requirements A*AA- but it was my silly one as I got ABBA last year, and so of course got rejected. I had the same plan with getting A* in classics!!! Good luck though I'm sure you will be fine,
I'm planning to go to York and study History, sadly waving goodbye to English literature, but I'm super pleased!! All I have to do is get AAA- and I chose that requirement over an unconditional from Lancaster !
What's your third subject? and What's your insurance?
Original post by EnnieR
I like the examples you used... wish I had thought of some of them- o'well :-D

DURHAM - of course- I applied to do joint English lit and history there with same requirements A*AA- but it was my silly one as I got ABBA last year, and so of course got rejected. I had the same plan with getting A* in classics!!! Good luck though I'm sure you will be fine,
I'm planning to go to York and study History, sadly waving goodbye to English literature, but I'm super pleased!! All I have to do is get AAA- and I chose that requirement over an unconditional from Lancaster !
What's your third subject? and What's your insurance?

Ahh that's awesome!! I'm sure you'll make it too :smile:
i do chemistry - i mean did, weird talking about it in past tense now...
i know it's an unusual combo haha but it did make a nice change if i had loads of essays to do :smile:
I insured Nottingham who ask for AAA, seems a bit silly now not to have insured somewhere asking for a B incase I drop in Chemistry :s How about you?
Original post by Millie1497
I did 1 and 3 - my 1b was a lot differnet to everyone else's-uh oh. Hated that question.
I thought 3 was a good essay
But overall the paper was deifnetly not the best'

Just cus your answer was different doesn't mean it wasn't as good :smile:

hmm yeah maybe the grade boundaries will be a bit lower?
Reply 29
Ahh that's awesome!! I'm sure you'll make it too :smile:
i do chemistry - i mean did, weird talking about it in past tense now...
i know it's an unusual combo haha but it did make a nice change if i had loads of essays to do :smile:
I insured Nottingham who ask for AAA, seems a bit silly now not to have insured somewhere asking for a B incase I drop in Chemistry :s How about you?

My insurance is AAB- yeah I wanted one subject which could possibly go terrible- but I REALLY want to go to York!!!!!!
My three subjects were (ahhh past tense- your right, weird) Classics, History and English Lit. None of them went terribly- thankfully!
I heard about the Chemistry exam- wasn't it like completely bonkers hard?
Original post by EnnieR
My insurance is AAB- yeah I wanted one subject which could possibly go terrible- but I REALLY want to go to York!!!!!!
My three subjects were (ahhh past tense- your right, weird) Classics, History and English Lit. None of them went terribly- thankfully!
I heard about the Chemistry exam- wasn't it like completely bonkers hard?

lol i like how for us a subject going terribly results in a B
i have full faith that you'll get into York :biggrin:

yep one of the chem units was so impossible i wanted to cry afterwards hahaa
but the other unit was ok so hopefully it made up for it, otherwise i'll be looking at clearing or begging durham to take me anyway..
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending