The Student Room Group

Edexcel GCSE History A Unit 3B War and the transformation of British Society 1931-51

Scroll to see replies

Are you guys learning beveridge? It came up last year so not sure whether to learn it...
Original post by helpme:)
Ok but I'm saying it is part of that chapter :smile:

yes
Original post by Natasha1998
Are you guys learning beveridge? It came up last year so not sure whether to learn it...

Im not I dont think it will come up again. Im mainly focusing on Battle of Britain as thats not come up yet.
Can anyone tell me how to answer each question? Anyone have a generalised mark scheme?
For Q1 do you just make inferences and back them up with quotes or do you also explain how you got the inferences from the quotes?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Trl157w21Unban
There you go:
Tell me when you get it.

You are an angel! Thank you so much 😘😘
Original post by applecandy
You are an angel! Thank you so much 😘😘

Np :biggrin:
Reply 27
Original post by applecandy
Can anyone tell me how to answer each question? Anyone have a generalised mark scheme?

This is really brief but basically:

1) 6 marks
2 points, quotes + analysis
2) 8 marks
3 points, PEAs, own knowledge
3) 10 marks
3 points, PEAs, own knowledge
4) 10 marks
NOP (Nature, Origin, Purpose), judgement (use extent words), own knowledge
5) 13 + 3 marks
Sources D, E, and F (minimum), reliability, balanced argument, judgement
The top 3 at our school are the Battle of Britain, the Depression and the effects/growth of unemployment and the NHS.

We're almost certain that this year must be the Battle of Britain, but not sure if that's just reassurance that we really want this paper to come up this year - would be beautiful with a RAF Strengths and Luftwaffe Weaknesses centred 16 marker!

The only problem with the NHS is that it was the Beveridge Report last year, and the NHS remains in the same key topic - KT4 - and key topics have never been repeated the following year.

Hoping so much that it's the Battle of Britain, but good luck to everyone sitting this exam tomorrow! :smile:
Original post by KS2112
Growth of unemployment, battle of britain, blitz,role of government and nhs have never come up

Hey i think role of government has come up in the form of "rationing"
For Q1 do you just make inferences and back them up with quotes or do you also explain how you got the inferences from the quotes?

You just have to make inferences and use a quote. Do this twice and you will get full marks.
What was the opposition to the Beveridge Report? (Not opposition to NHS)
Anyone have some fancy nice stats for Battle of Britain?
What was the opposition to the Beveridge Report? (Not opposition to NHS)

There was initial opposition to the Beveridge Report through the 1945 General Election as Churchill would not provide immediate implementation, whereas Atlee and the Labour Party were happy to grant measures upon gaining electoral powers.

Directly through the Beveridge Report, however, there was opposition to the 'Disease' sector of the Big 5 because this implemented the 1946 National Health Service Act, which removed medical profession from private doctors and placed them under government salaries.

There was further opposition, also, although this was very minimal, as many people felt it displayed Britain in general as a severely weak nation with the needs to support each citizen from 'cradle to grave', which had never before been any such provision.

Largely, however, there was virtually non-existent opposition because the measures implemented were largely successful and granted noticeably higher qualities of life.

Hope this helps:smile:
Original post by Natasha1998
Anyone have some fancy nice stats for Battle of Britain?

RAF had 640 planes at the start, the Germans had 2600.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by georgialennon
The top 3 at our school are the Battle of Britain, the Depression and the effects/growth of unemployment and the NHS.

We're almost certain that this year must be the Battle of Britain, but not sure if that's just reassurance that we really want this paper to come up this year - would be beautiful with a RAF Strengths and Luftwaffe Weaknesses centred 16 marker!

The only problem with the NHS is that it was the Beveridge Report last year, and the NHS remains in the same key topic - KT4 - and key topics have never been repeated the following year.

Hoping so much that it's the Battle of Britain, but good luck to everyone sitting this exam tomorrow! :smile:

Unemployment/means test has already been tested in January 2013. If they do go by their normal way, then it might not be the NHS, like you said they haven't chosen the same key topic in consecutive years. But the NHS has more information to ask about than the Battle of Britain.
(edited 8 years ago)
Unemployment/means test has already been tested in January 2013. If they do go by their normal way, then it might not be the NHS, like you said they haven't chosen the same key topic in consecutive years.

Quietly confident for the BoB, so fingers crossed! In the unemployment sector, I'd be looking more towards the feature of unemployment as oppose to the Means Test individually - for example, looking at the government strategies such as the Industrial Trading Estates such as the Team Valley, policies of rearmament and boosts in trading facilities, Special Areas and Import Duties Acts, with the potential for a 16-marker to be around:

'The policies of the National Government helped reduce unemployment'

Just an idea anyway!
Original post by georgialennon
Quietly confident for the BoB, so fingers crossed! In the unemployment sector, I'd be looking more towards the feature of unemployment as oppose to the Means Test individually - for example, looking at the government strategies such as the Industrial Trading Estates such as the Team Valley, policies of rearmament and boosts in trading facilities, Special Areas and Import Duties Acts, with the potential for a 16-marker to be around:

'The policies of the National Government helped reduce unemployment'

Just an idea anyway!

Do you know any links to get exam questions on each topic?
What would you write as an answer to this question?:

What can you learn from Source A about the Battle of Britain? (6 marks)
Do you know any links to get exam questions on each topic?

Unfortunately I don't, I've only looked at the styles of past papers and used some of the textbooks I've already got - do you need any help with any in particular because I might be able to model some?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending