The Student Room Group

Advise on Masters Degree's please!!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple
My rent at Warwick comes to just over £2000, I suppose if you're in the unfortunate position where you aren't being provided a sufficient amount and your parents aren't willing or can't contribute also it's a different matter.

And a fair number of students are in precisely that situation.
Then don't be stupid and study somewhere north? Not sure what point you're trying to make? Where do you study out of curiosity?

Two things:

1. Living in the south is better for employability purposes and networking
2. Top unis are found in the South in greater numbers

Point has already being made. Saving for a Masters during your undergrad years is not feasible for most people no matter where you live.

My rent at Warwick comes to just over £2000, I suppose if you're in the unfortunate position where you aren't being provided a sufficient amount and your parents aren't willing or can't contribute also it's a different matter.

It's not a different matter it's the main case imo. Most SFE financial packages don't cover all your living costs so students find a job to support themselves. Not everybody has the bank of daddy to back him/her up.
Original post by Juichiro
Two things:

1. Living in the south is better for employability purposes and networking
2. Top unis are found in the South in greater numbers

Point has already being made. Saving for a Masters during your undergrad years is not feasible for most people no matter where you live.

It's not a different matter it's the main case imo. Most SFE financial packages don't cover all your living costs so students find a job to support themselves. Not everybody has the bank of daddy to back him/her up.

Why is it better for employability sorry? You're not looking to be employed. As for networking, sure to an extent, it's more important if you're a sucker for finance etc. but even then the likes of Warwick and a few others in the north are ahead of the majority in the south so that's a moot point. Point being, if you can't afford to study in the south, it's not the end of the world at all, I didn't even know it was a thing... I turned down several London universities for Warwick.

I guess it just depends who you know, most of my friends and I get plenty of support from Student Finance as first generation university students who's parents are on a pittance. But I obviously I can't speak for everyone and it's definitely not the case I expect.
Original post by jelly1000

Yeah fair enough, at Warwick I guess most students are upper class or something, apart from the internationals who drive around in their sports cars the majority of students are constantly going out and spending money all the time.
Original post by jelly1000

That's what I have been trying to tell him. He seems to think that money flows in parents' accounts like water in the Amazon.

Why is it better for employability sorry? You're not looking to be employed. As for networking, sure to an extent, it's more important if you're a sucker for finance etc. but even then the likes of Warwick and a few others in the north are ahead of the majority in the south so that's a moot point. Point being, if you can't afford to study in the south, it's not the end of the world at all, I didn't even know it was a thing... I turned down several London universities for Warwick.

I guess it just depends who you know, most of my friends and I get plenty of support from Student Finance as first generation university students who's parents are on a pittance. But I obviously I can't speak for everyone and it's definitely not the case I expect.

Imo is better for employability because you are close to employers and events in your field. If your university is in the middle of nowhere you are not going to get as many such opportunities as if you lived in a bigger richer city. What do you mean by "ahead of the majority"? If your uni is top in research that is not going to mean anything for its undergrad student body that does not want to go into academia. Links with employers and businesses is more important imo.

"if you can't afford to study in the south, it's not the end of the world at all" Nope, it is not. But it might be harder to get jobs, especially if you are not in a top 10 uni imo.
"Plenty of support" is not an amount of money but a vague term. If it is not the case, what are you doing arguing with me then? I have always wanted to use this phrase. :redface: Now I have the chance: :redface:
Check your privilege.
That's what I have been trying to tell him. He seems to think that money flows in parents' accounts like water in the Amazon.

Imo is better for employability because you are close to employers and events in your field. If your university is in the middle of nowhere you are not going to get as many such opportunities as if you lived in a bigger richer city. What do you mean by "ahead of the majority"? If your uni is top in research that is not going to mean anything for its undergrad student body that does not want to go into academia. Links with employers and businesses is more important imo.

"if you can't afford to study in the south, it's not the end of the world at all" Nope, it is not. But it might be harder to get jobs, especially if you are not in a top 10 uni imo.
"Plenty of support" is not an amount of money but a vague term. If it is not the case, what are you doing arguing with me then? I have always wanted to use this phrase. :redface: Now I have the chance: :redface:
Check your privilege.

Warwick undergrads are the most sought after only being Oxbridge and LSE, it's very cheap living here and a very viable option for anyone who has the grades. Getting a job isn't harder at all, I can only speak for where I study obviously, I won't speculate with if's and but's. My point is funding a masters is completely feasible with a 10k bursary and an actual job. I don't know if you have one but it helps significantly. And I don't mean a career job, just something that can easily cover rent and food working over weekends. I think you spend too much time on your computer and not enough seeing how students make money to spend.

I didn't know what that means before I googled it but as I've said before, I come from a very humble background and one of the worst schools in Birmingham. I can assure you, my privilege is very much in check.
Warwick undergrads are the most sought after only being Oxbridge and LSE, it's very cheap living here and a very viable option for anyone who has the grades. Getting a job isn't harder at all, I can only speak for where I study obviously, I won't speculate with if's and but's. My point is funding a masters is completely feasible with a 10k bursary and an actual job. I don't know if you have one but it helps significantly. And I don't mean a career job, just something that can easily cover rent and food working over weekends. I think you spend too much time on your computer and not enough seeing how students make money to spend.

I didn't know what that means before I googled it but as I've said before, I come from a very humble background and one of the worst schools in Birmingham. I can assure you, my privilege is very much in check.

The bursary is only this year. The government is yet to decide whether it will implement a postgraduate funding scheme. Even if it does, it won't be bursaries but loans with lower interest than commercial loans. But in that case, I agree, if the 10K loan scheme gets approved and IF you get one (there will only be a limited number of them each year unlike undergrad loans) THEN I agree that funding your postgrad will be feasible. But as you can see, there are ifs between the student and access to a postgrad.

If you come from one of the worst schools in Birmingham, your parents are poor and you are at Warwick, you should know that you are a statistical outlier (a good outlier for you). The pattern for the likes of your background is not a top 10 uni. :redface:
The bursary is only this year. The government is yet to decide whether it will implement a postgraduate funding scheme. Even if it does, it won't be bursaries but loans with lower interest than commercial loans. But in that case, I agree, if the 10K loan scheme gets approved and IF you get one (there will only be a limited number of them each year unlike undergrad loans) THEN I agree that funding your postgrad will be feasible. But as you can see, there are ifs between the student and access to a postgrad.

If you come from one of the worst schools in Birmingham, your parents are poor and you are at Warwick, you should know that you are a statistical outlier (a good outlier for you). The pattern for the likes of your background is not a top 10 uni. :redface:

Yes, well that was my initial point and what I was disputing, even with my own income I wouldn't be able to afford to fully fund postgraduate studies on that alone. :p: I'm sure I mentioned it.

I understand that but I receive probably more than I should with scholarships etc. included, certainly more than I spend since I don't go out, and the few friends I keep in contact with from school are all respectively at top 10 universities and have received similar amounts. So perhaps my viewpoint is a little skewed. I never had middle class friends let alone upper class so I'm making too many assumptions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending