The Student Room Group

"On" or "Nous" (A2 Edexcel French Translation, Discursive, Research-based essays)

So I am doing the French A2 exam which happens next Monday (in 2 days)

and although our teacher mentioned, we can use the "on" tense for the discursive and research-based essay

I just want to make sure if you know that the mark scheme or Edexcel exam board really accepts "on" ? like i know "nous" is more sophisticated but will it make a difference in the marks? i mean what if I use "on" very accurately.

It's just i'm used to writing using "on" and if i make a switch to "nous" (although im familiar with the conjugations, i havent been really using it in writing so it might be pretty rusty).

But if using "Nous" really does give you more credit, then i guess i'll have to use. but if it's not necessary, then i would use "on"

what do your teachers tell you to use or do?
Reply 1
Hi!
My teacher said that it depends on whether you're being personal or impersonal? If you're writing about an account/memory involving you then 'nous' is appropriate but I thought that 'on' could be used?:/

Also how are you revising for the research based essay as it's really stressing me out:frown: so worried!
Original post by Cath.101
Hi!
My teacher said that it depends on whether you're being personal or impersonal? If you're writing about an account/memory involving you then 'nous' is appropriate but I thought that 'on' could be used?:/

Also how are you revising for the research based essay as it's really stressing me out:frown: so worried!

Thank you so much! Yeah, i've figured i should use "nous" since if i use "on", the content of my essay might suffer. If ever i get stuck in a conjugation of nous, i'll just rephrase the sentence.

And i actually discovered an active discussion thread for this exam recently:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3361201&page=6&p=57002701#post57002701

we've discussed about the Research Based essay :smile: and other stuff. so head over there and join the discussion! I made this thread cause I couldnt find it last time, turned out I was looking at the wrong forum section (this is A-levels, i should have posted on Foreign Language where the linked thread is located)

Quick Reply

Latest