The Student Room Group

Will you let your children eat pork?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Smilin’ Knight
so can other animals, if you spend any time with any animals they will show most traits to a greater or lesser degree

Maybe but less likely so than cats and dogs.
Original post by 08Mercyf
That's good and animals should be respected but sadly they are not and people(even me) sometimes take them for granted by eating them.

Nothing wrong in eating animals in terms of respect and taking them for granted, as long as people are made aware of companies which don't respect animals. I would never support the majority of the current halal meat system as it is cruel and causes suffering (when done on a conscious animal), of course it's fine if the animal is stunned first so that it is dead before it can be aware of its surroundings. Also companies which sell meat cheaply tend to not have as much animal welfare in place as others. I'd only frown upon people who support meat pathways in which the animals are not respected, and the people have been made aware of the cruelty happening.
Yeah, I would. I love bacon. Especially the sweet-cured stuff. Mmmm...
Original post by Star Light
Nothing wrong in eating animals in terms of respect and taking them for granted, as long as people are made aware of companies which don't respect animals. I would never support the majority of the current halal meat system as it is cruel and causes suffering (when done on a conscious animal), of course it's fine if the animal is stunned first so that it is dead before it can be aware of its surroundings. Also companies which sell meat cheaply tend to not have as much animal welfare in place as others. I'd only frown upon people who support meat pathways in which the animals are not respected, and the people have been made aware of the cruelty happening.

:yes: I try not to buy danish pork because of the cages :frown:

what type of pigs do you have at your work btw?

Cool.:smile:
Maybe but less likely so than cats and dogs.

Stop trying to make at best very poor excuses. One can bond with almost any animal.
:yes: I try not to buy danish pork because of the cages :frown:

what type of pigs do you have at your work btw?

They're all rare-breed, outdoor reared on the farm, we've had some saddlebacks and Gloucester old spots for example. And yes those sow stalls they have in Europe are disgusting, that's why they're illegal here! Good luck getting rid of them though, not like European farms give a toss whether they're illegal or not, they'll keep using them. Buy British pork!
They're all rare-breed, outdoor reared on the farm, we've had some saddlebacks and Gloucester old spots for example. And yes those sow stalls they have in Europe are disgusting, that's why they're illegal here! Good luck getting rid of them though, not like European farms give a toss whether they're illegal or not, they'll keep using them. Buy British pork!

Won't need to buy any soon, my parents have got tamworths :smile: (for a few more weeks anyway :redface:)
And ye i don't think they will stop using them, especially with the world wide demand for cheap meat going up
Pigs are friends
Won't need to buy any soon, my parents have got tamworths :smile: (for a few more weeks anyway :redface:)
And ye i don't think they will stop using them, especially with the world wide demand for cheap meat going up

Ooh nice, we've not had tams ourselves but I do think I've had some very nice bacon from one :smile:

Urgh, the world has an unhealthy obsession with cheap, it's completely unsustainable. How do people expect prices to go down as currency inflates?? Supermarkets are cancer for farm products, it's ridiculous that a bottle of milk costs half of what a bottle of water costs sometimes, every penny taken off per pint can be £10,000 lost for a farmer per year. The competition between supermarkets to have the lowest price for milk, meat etc is killing off farming. People need to realise that good, sustainable food costs money, and rightly so.
Original post by DiddyDec
Stop trying to make at best very poor excuses. One can bond with almost any animal.

No.
I will actively encourage them to eat all kinds of pork, especially in the form of black pudding :yum:. If there is some 'issue', it's probably because of idiotic religious pressures seeping into the mainstream subconscious.
Cool.

Do you yourself eat pork?

Indeed, now and again.
Original post by meenu89
Indeed, now and again.

Cool.
Dogs are not humans but they can bond with us and that is why.

Many breeds of pig are considerably smarter than most dogs. I've no doubt that pigs could bond with us if given the opportunity, and indeed pet pigs are gaining popularity. The more you look into it, the more subjective the distinction between food animals and pet animals becomes.
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
Many breeds of pig are considerably smarter than most dogs. I've no doubt that pigs could bond with us if given the opportunity, and indeed pet pigs are gaining popularity. The more you look into it, the more subjective the distinction between food animals and pet animals becomes.

Maybe but I doubt it, there is something special about dogs and cats that differentiate them from other animals.
Maybe but I doubt it, there is something special about dogs and cats that differentiate them from other animals.

And what is that special something?

Is it because you couldn't eat a pet?

Posted from TSR Mobile
And what is that special something?

Is it because you couldn't eat a pet?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You should get a dog or a cat to see for yourself.

And places like China allow the killing of dogs/cats

I think its best to leave it here.
(edited 8 years ago)
You should get a dog or a cat to see for yourself.

And places like China allow the killing of dogs/cats

I think its best to leave it here.

I have 3 cats.

I would still like to try cat and dog at some point just not my own.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have 3 cats.

I would still like to try cat and dog at some point just not my own.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you say so.

Quick Reply

Latest