The Student Room Group

Does anyone recommend doing 3 A-levels with a Btec?

So I'm in a dilemma I really like maths, further and chemistry but I'm not whether i should do physics A-level or Btec Product Design

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by OGGUS
So I'm in a dilemma I really like maths, further and chemistry but I'm not whether i should do physics A-level or Btec Product Design

You're taking 3 really hard AS levels already so unless you are an A/A* student at GCSE I would stick to only these 3 as universities only ask for 3 at A2 unless you want to get to the top 10 where you'll need a 4th AS but I'm not sure if a Btec will count for this. I do Chemistry AS OCR and it is a very big step u from GCSE so be warned.
Reply 2
Original post by iodo345
You're taking 3 really hard AS levels already so unless you are an A/A* student at GCSE I would stick to only these 3 as universities only ask for 3 at A2 unless you want to get to the top 10 where you'll need a 4th AS but I'm not sure if a Btec will count for this. I do Chemistry AS OCR and it is a very big step u from GCSE so be warned.

I don't mind because I really like chemistry and product design is a subject I would like to do since it may help me in university. What are you planning to do at university?
Reply 3
Original post by iodo345

If your talking about A/A* I am better in maths and science, practical based subjects so I don't know want I'm going to get but a C in English will help me to get into college.
Original post by OGGUS

What do you want to do at university?

Regardless, my advice will be: if you're an A* student, do physics; if you're not an A* student, choose an easier fourth A-level.
i d email the unis to check that they accept a btec for the subject you d want to apply for at uni
Reply 6
Original post by Jooooshy
What do you want to do at university?

Regardless, my advice will be: if you're an A* student, do physics; if you're not an A* student, choose an easier fourth A-level.

When people say A* student I don't know since I have not obtained any results from anywhere yet and will find myself finding a bunch of results in August.
Original post by OGGUS
When people say A* student I don't know since I have not obtained any results from anywhere yet and will find myself finding a bunch of results in August.

Can you not decide to enrol for physics and then change your mind in the first few weeks if you're struggling with it?
Reply 8
Original post by Jooooshy
Can you not decide to enrol for physics and then change your mind in the first few weeks if you're struggling with it?

Yeah the college is flexible
Will that Btec be any use to you? Think about that, Physics is useful for most science/engineering degrees. Or you could just pick another relevant, easier A level among the guidelines of the preferred A levels on University websites..
Original post by OGGUS
I don't mind because I really like chemistry and product design is a subject I would like to do since it may help me in university. What are you planning to do at university?

I am not fully decided but at the minute it is between psychology and biological sciences but even I'm struggling at Chemistry and will drop it next year and I got A/A*'s at GCSE.
Reply 11
Original post by iodo345
I am not fully decided but at the minute it is between psychology and biological sciences but even I'm struggling at Chemistry and will drop it next year and I got A/A*'s at GCSE.

Oh cool so what were your GCSE grades
Reply 12
Original post by OGGUS

Physics A level anyday if you want to go to uni, however if you want something just to enjoy then BTEC is probably much better. However, many of the top unis would not regard a BTEC as worthy of credit, but if you don't plan on applying to the elite universities, then a distinction in a BTEC would probably look a lot better then say a C in Physics A level.
Reply 13
Original post by DanyaI
Physics A level anyday if you want to go to uni, however if you want something just to enjoy then BTEC is probably much better. However, many of the top unis would not regard a BTEC as worthy of credit, but if you don't plan on applying to the elite universities, then a distinction in a BTEC would probably look a lot better then say a C in Physics A level.

Then Btec Product Design is final
Reply 14
Original post by OGGUS
Then Btec Product Design is final

Lol, had you chosen Physics, you would have the exact combination as me at AS, except I also did econ...but good luck and hopefully you'll make the choices that best suit you
Reply 15
Original post by DanyaI
Lol, had you chosen Physics, you would have the exact combination as me at AS, except I also did econ...but good luck and hopefully you'll make the choices that best suit you

My brother done physics and got a B i can't risk a C
Reply 16
Original post by OGGUS
My brother done physics and got a B i can't risk a C

It's not difficult at all if you're a mathematical person, which it seems you are, as long as you keep on top everything on a weekly basis, which isn't too hard
Reply 17
Original post by DanyaI
It's not difficult at all if you're a mathematical person, which it seems you are, as long as you keep on top everything on a weekly basis, which isn't too hard

I'm pretty lazy
Reply 18
Original post by OGGUS
I'm pretty lazy

Lol, and you wanna do further maths?
i would not as i think there is a heavy workload as a levels can be so fall on but when i was a sixth former from 2002-2004 being born in july 1986 i dont even think there was a btec
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest