The Student Room Group

choosing a university

I really want to study journalism (broadcast/multimedia) or media and communications. I have a lot of research to try and find the best universities for these subjects as well as a good university overall and have found cardiff, leeds, newcastle, oxford brookes, loughborough and bournemouth.

Could anybody who possibly goes to one of these universities or does this course at one of these universities or an unnamed one give me any advice or valuable information because I really have no idea what I'm doing anymore.
Original post by catleesh
I really want to study journalism (broadcast/multimedia) or media and communications. I have a lot of research to try and find the best universities for these subjects as well as a good university overall and have found cardiff, leeds, newcastle, oxford brookes, loughborough and bournemouth.

Could anybody who possibly goes to one of these universities or does this course at one of these universities or an unnamed one give me any advice or valuable information because I really have no idea what I'm doing anymore.

except brookes,all the bournemouth all rank in the top 10 which you have mentioned.But that does not mean they are bad.Your scores should be little more than the entry requirements.Loughborough is great,I would recommend you to put Loughborough,Cardiff,Leicester,Newcastle,Leeds and Sheffield

Original post by jontyfernz
except brookes,all the bournemouth all rank in the top 10 which you have mentioned.But that does not mean they are bad.Your scores should be little more than the entry requirements.Loughborough is great,I would recommend you to put Loughborough,Cardiff,Leicester,Newcastle,Leeds and Sheffield

Be very wary of advice based on so-called rankings, particularly for a subject such as journalism.

Firstly, all 'league tables' are inherently flawed. They contain a mix of objective and subjective data, mixed and weighted to a formula decided by whoever publishes them. You therefore get blindingly obvious errors such as the Guardian ranking Brunel 4th for History a couple of years ago. Er, that's just wrong!

Secondly, journalism isn't its own subject in the tables. In the Complete University Guide it is part of 'communication and media studies', while the Guardian includes publishing and public relations in its journalism category. In both cases a uni's ranking will be influenced by factors from separate courses - which could be good or bad.

Out of the OP's original list, I know Cardiff has an excellent reputation.
Reply 3
Hi catleesh,

I went to Bournemouth University to study Multimedia Journalism (2007-2010) and I loved it! We were taught to write for magazines, newspapers and online, as well as how to produce, present and edit news for TV and radio, which was my favourite bit :smile:

We also had lessons in Media Law, recent history (cold war up to now), and short hand, which are part of the NCTJ qualification that is built into the BA. Most newspapers will expect you to have this qualification if you want to work as a reporter, so it's really invaluable to have that and not have to pay extra to do it.

I found the uni's facilities to be really impressive - lots of cameras and sound equipment that you can book out and use, iMac editing suites, a news room where you can present and read from an autocue, and a multi-million pound TV studio that is completely green-screen! There is also a uni TV station, radio station and magazine where you can get some practice in presenting!

The industry links are very strong - all the lecturers are either previous journalists or still working in the industry, so they have their fingers on the pulse. Also because of BU's reputation in Journalism and media, they get some really good guest speakers in, which is also great for networking and getting work experience.

On a side note, Bournemouth itself is a beautiful place to live and study - the Uni is about 3 miles from town, which in on the sea front, and most of the halls are in town. There is an awesome night life too, if you're in to that!

I'm currently back at BU doing an MA in Video Editing - I really do love it here. If you have any more questions I'd be happy to answer them :smile:

Ali
Reply 4
Sheffield because it is the highest in the league table.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Arieisit
Sheffield because it is the highest in the league table.

Posted from TSR Mobile

:banghead:
Reply 6
Original post by ageshallnot
:banghead:

What? I applied to Sheffield since it was the lowest high in the league tables.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
oh my gosh thank you that has helped so much!
Reply 8
oh my gosh thank you that has helped so much!

You're welcome

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sheffield because it is the highest in the league table.Posted from TSR Mobile

What? I applied to Sheffield since it was the lowest high in the league tables.
Posted from TSR Mobile

For journalism? I doubt that very much given that you don't seem able to construct a meaningful sentence.

And anyone who (pretends) to have chosen a university solely on the basis of 'the league table(s)' is a fool (in at least two meanings of the word).
Reply 10
Original post by AliBonce
Hi catleesh,

I went to Bournemouth University to study Multimedia Journalism (2007-2010) and I loved it! We were taught to write for magazines, newspapers and online, as well as how to produce, present and edit news for TV and radio, which was my favourite bit :smile:

We also had lessons in Media Law, recent history (cold war up to now), and short hand, which are part of the NCTJ qualification that is built into the BA. Most newspapers will expect you to have this qualification if you want to work as a reporter, so it's really invaluable to have that and not have to pay extra to do it.

I found the uni's facilities to be really impressive - lots of cameras and sound equipment that you can book out and use, iMac editing suites, a news room where you can present and read from an autocue, and a multi-million pound TV studio that is completely green-screen! There is also a uni TV station, radio station and magazine where you can get some practice in presenting!

The industry links are very strong - all the lecturers are either previous journalists or still working in the industry, so they have their fingers on the pulse. Also because of BU's reputation in Journalism and media, they get some really good guest speakers in, which is also great for networking and getting work experience.

On a side note, Bournemouth itself is a beautiful place to live and study - the Uni is about 3 miles from town, which in on the sea front, and most of the halls are in town. There is an awesome night life too, if you're in to that!

I'm currently back at BU doing an MA in Video Editing - I really do love it here. If you have any more questions I'd be happy to answer them :smile:

Ali

Thank you that has helped so much!
For journalism? I doubt that very much given that you don't seem able to construct a meaningful sentence.

And anyone who (pretends) to have chosen a university solely on the basis of 'the league table(s)' is a fool (in at least two meanings of the word).

I chose all my unis based on league tables. There was no way for me to visit them. You're the fool because of got into a top 5 uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I chose all my unis based on league tables. There was no way for me to visit them. You're the fool because of got into a top 5 uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congratulations. However, advising all and sundry to choose a university solely on the basis of a measure which is known to be flawed is hardly constructive.
Congratulations. However, advising all and sundry to choose a university solely on the basis of a measure which is known to be flawed is hardly constructive.

Posted from TSR Mobile
There is a 2nd option which just struck my mind and it is better than the league tables,Register yourself for an open day at the university and see the campus yourself,and meet the faculty and the students to know good is it actually.Or if you can't try to get in touch with some students from the particular course to tell you about the experience

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending